Oxford Rail 2019 speculation

Well their N7 seems to be attracting some very positive reviews, so I’d hope for something Scottish. I still think it’s unlikely, but you never know.........

Multiple sources have said the Caley tank at Bo'ness has been scanned. It hasn't yet appeared in the Hornby or Bachmann ranges, so unless there's a commission we don't know about its likely it could be Oxford.

• Like 1

Multiple sources have said the Caley tank at Bo'ness has been scanned. It hasn't yet appeared in the Hornby or Bachmann ranges, so unless there's a commission we don't know about its likely it could be Oxford.

I heard that Hornby had measured up several items at Bo'ness when they visited for the J36. They might be working on it for the future.

Although it would be the right size for the Oxford range and they have done the NB 4 plank already so Scottish pre grouping loco a possibility.

Guest teacupteacup

Yep, there is definitely some from the former LMS group missing in Oxfords range.

Coaches would have to be HST mark 3s hopefully correct with lighting options. It would gel with Hornby sliding door versions.

Munitions wagons for the gun would be a treat.

I would hope they concentrated on getting the liveries right on the Mk3s before lighting

I'd suggest that if we see a locomotive next week it will originate from either Crewe, Darlington, Horwich, Stratford or St. Rollox.

Either one of those five narrows the choice down a bit!  :angel:

• RMweb Premium

All their steam locos they've modelled so far survive in preservation.

My guess is a Taff Vale 0-6-2T, based on measuring up the surviving locos on the Gwili or the Worth Valley. Both were sold to collieries after withdrawal from the GWR.

Otherwise a class 86/2 or 86/4 could appear with a Mk1 BG incorporating the modifications for 100/110 mph running to go with the Mk3s so that Oxford Rail can justify say they're supplying a complete rake.

• Like 2

I do feel that there must be a strategy for Oxford Rail, and I have a feeling that strategy is churning out models of pre-grouping prototypes which had fairly limited geographic spread. I'd suggest that if we see a locomotive next week it will originate from either Crewe, Darlington, Horwich, Stratford or St. Rollox.

Another Stratford machine please! 

• RMweb Gold

Based on past form Oxford will, if they announce anything new, go deep into the left field in search of a loco.  Might it be a 2-4-0, or possibly something from the Met, or Scottish?  We won't know until it's announced but my best bet is that it will most likely be something which is extant and can therefore be scanned.  

And, as 'Chard will no doubt remind us,  that will narrow the choice down a bit  :angel:  :jester: 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I would be delighted with a proper GW 5 plank open on a 10' chassis, fitted and unfitted, in fact a range of 10' chassis vans and wagons.  And how about a 9' chassis steel 16ton mineral, maybe with opening end and side doors.  If Oxford can get these out at a price that will undercut Bachmann's, and if they can market at around the £12-14 mark,  I'll buy a few as chassis donors.  I like Ox's chassis, and the posable brake handles.

As for locos, the lowest hanging fruit IMHO is the GW Metro, or 517, or even a good quality 2721, to go with your DG.  The Metro/517 suggests a panelled auto trailer, and the 2721 could come in saddle or pannier tank versions.  They's sell at just over £100 I imagine, and £40 for the trailer.

We live in hope...

• Like 2

Some more variations of the N7 would be nice: late BR crest, the blue Liverpool St pilot one, etc etc.

A couple of GER coaches, perhaps? Looking through the 2019 Roco announcements I was quite jealous of how "joined up" their range is, with matching locos/coaches/wagons.

Who knows - they might even do a Class 120 DMU?!

Otherwise a class 86/2 or 86/4 could appear with a Mk1 BG incorporating the modifications for 100/110 mph running to go with the Mk3s so that Oxford Rail can justify say they're supplying a complete rake.

Or they could produce the three Mk3b BFOs which were originally built for Intercity but these days work for GWR on the night sleepers.

not sure if they had Virgin west Coast livery in the meantime.    

Or they could produce the three Mk3b BFOs which were originally built for Intercity but these days work for GWR on the night sleepers.

not sure if they had Virgin west Coast livery in the meantime.    

Yes, we had them on West Coast in VT days, as seen here:

https://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/Coaches/Mk3-Coaching-Stock-Loco-hauled/Mk3-BFO-AE1G/i-LG6Gh4s

• Like 1

The Hornby releases (some train sets / packs excepted) are modernised Mk3s fitted with retention tanks and automatic doors! Such coaches are NOT suitable to represent anything other than the short GWR / Scotrail services or the Cross country HST rake.

They are totally useless for anyone wanting to model the 9 coach GWR HST services in the pre 800 era say.

Thus a release of slam door fitted Mk3s in GWR, etc livery would not be competing with anybody!

Hornby have done 2 runs of GWR liveried Mk3 slam door stock, still widely available in the shops

Based on past form Oxford will, if they announce anything new, go deep into the left field in search of a loco.  Might it be a 2-4-0, or possibly something from the Met, or Scottish?  We won't know until it's announced but my best bet is that it will most likely be something which is extant and can therefore be scanned.  

And, as 'Chard will no doubt remind us,  that will narrow the choice down a bit  :angel:  :jester: 

...and as a couple of people have commented, they've done Southern (Adams Radial), Western (Dean Goods) and Eastern (N7), so we ought to be due something of a LMR persuasion...I like the thought of a 2-4-0- Maybe 'Hardwicke' or  the Midland '156' at Butterley?

What about an LMS 0-6-0 Diesel Shunter?

The last type which became Class 11 got around a bit, with over 30 going to ex-LNER sheds. They also appeared in WD livery and as industrials.

….and in WD livery would go nicely with that big railgun they're releasing

Edited by Invicta
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

If Oxford Rail's considering a steam loco which ran on LMS metals, my most likely possibility based on preserved examples are ranked below:

1. L&Y A 0-6-0

2. L&Y 0-6-0ST (752 preserved on Worth Valley)

3. North London 0-6-0T

4. Tilbury tank 4-4-2T "Thundersley" - less likely because it might be a future National Collection commission

5. North Staffordshire 0-6-2T - least likely choice because they were withdrawn well before nationalisation, although some survived in colliery use.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I heard that Hornby had measured up several items at Bo'ness when they visited for the J36. They might be working on it for the future.

Although it would be the right size for the Oxford range and they have done the NB 4 plank already so Scottish pre grouping loco a possibility.

If you are going to go to the trouble of travelling from Kent to Bo'ness (and pay for hotels etc) then you might as well make a decent job of it and get several different locos in the bank as it were for the future.

The other advantage of doing several locos at once is that nobody is too sure which one you will end up producing thus keeping the element of surprise when Hornby go public.