Semaphore signals on the West Highland Line

The (up loop) signal at BoO is simple bracketed out for better sighting, it's not a junction signal, the bracket makes the arm clearer to the drivers sight line - there is a siding between the main post and the running line so it avoids confusion as to which line it applies to, there was a disc at the base of the main post which applied to the siding.

attachicon.gifDAS001589.jpg

This picture raises a couple of questions.

The bracket home signal suggests that the box may have had a switch - does anyone know if that was the case?

If so - I wonder why the down platform road was used when the box was switched out, this must have require a lock on the siding point. As far as I can recall they were no sidings trailing into the up road, so I would have thought it would have been more suitable for dual direction running.

• RMweb Gold

This picture raises a couple of questions.

The bracket home signal suggests that the box may have had a switch - does anyone know if that was the case?

If so - I wonder why the down platform road was used when the box was switched out, this must have require a lock on the siding point. As far as I can recall they were no sidings trailing into the up road, so I would have thought it would have been more suitable for dual direction running.

Yes it did, down line.

There was an FPL added to the yard connection when the down line was made bi-di in 1967 to allow the box to be switched out - worked by lever 12 which was also the main loop points lock.

• RMweb Gold

Yes it did, down line.

There was an FPL added to the yard connection when the down line was made bi-di in 1967 to allow the box to be switched out - worked by lever 12 which was also the main loop points lock.

Presumably bi-di explains why there is a junction home signal on the down approach to the station?

Yes it did, down line.

Yes, but I wonder why they didn't just make the up line bi directional and avoid the requirement for the FPL?

Yes, but I wonder why they didn't just make the up line bi directional and avoid the requirement for the FPL?

Probably it was likely driven by the overall cost of the scheme, rather than a specific element appearing to be a significant addition. If you've ever had to deal with costing alterations on BR, the obvious is not necessarily the best, I remember such occasions rather too well.

Regards

Martin

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

By way of an update I now have signals for Crianlarich sorted thanks to Stephen Freemen.  The 2 at the southern end of the station are in situ awaiting the attachment of servos to automate them

023.JPG.fdf498829aa65074c2e0f7ffdb38102a.JPG

Next step is to source signals for Garelochead which leads me back to one of my original questions regarding the height of signals. To the south of Garelochead the 2 signals appear what I call normal height for which I will use 2 of my existing 26' MSE. The 2 signals at the northern end were taller; precisely what height I am not sure but probably requiring the larger 45' MSE lattice etch.

I believe that signal post height can be estimated from a picture by using measuring the signal arm which were a standard size and using this to determine the height of the signal post. Can anyone explain this in more detail or provide me a simple equation for achieving this? 

TIA

Rob

• Like 1

I've never tried it, but I reckon you could do it as follows......

On a photo, or your PC screen, measure:-

1. The length of the arm (A)

2. The height of the post (P)

3 Divide P by A to give a factor F

The actual height of the post is then F x actual length of prototype arm.

Simples! I hope....:-)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Geoff Endacott said:

Or try counting the number of cross braces in the lattice post which seem to be a standard distance apart. ...

If you go with counting the number of braces then you simply need to get an MSE, or other, mast with the same number thus alleviating the need to know the actual height.

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

Apologies for gate crashing this thread, but does anyone have any photos of the insides of the WHL cabins please? ie various equipment, levers, desks, stoves etc.

I am currently using the Pop Up designs kit as a basis of a cabin but looking to enhance the detail etc and obviously with the design of these the insides are quite visible. 

Many Thanks

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, young37215 said:

The main source I use for reference with a number of pictures of signal boxes showing internal and external views is Llangollen Signalman's Flickr album, link below

Llangollen Signalman WHL album

Not complete panoramas of a entire box though

Brilliant, thanks for sharing. Usual case of knowing where to look, there’s more on here than everywhere else I have tried to Google!