'Oh bullocks'

MAP66

• RMweb Premium

Well here’s my entry entitled ‘Oh Bullocks’ a play on a common phrase often uttered when plans go off-track. But apt for this entry as it features prize bullocks waiting to be transported to the county show.

Trouble is, there’s still no sign of the loco. The prize ‘Beetle’ cattle van is still waiting patiently at the cattle dock waiting for its train which is now 30 minutes late!!!

I came up with this idea to fit in with the theme as I have already nearly completed constructing the Parkside PC67 ‘Beetle’ prize cattle van and Ratio cattle dock ref. 502. I am planning to use these two kits on a micro GWR layout in P4, which will be my first attempt of a P4 layout. Which is handy as they will sit nicely in this first CBC of 2019.

So, here’s a couple of photos showing how it might look to give you a better idea. Hopefully you can spot the drover 'cattle attendant' sitting in the compartment out of the way of the very angry Farmer Giles who will make an a appearance later. 

MAP66

post-32869-0-39818100-1547395526_thumb.jpg

post-32869-0-51123700-1547395643_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

Great idea!

Phil

I must admit once I saw this thread on the main forum page I honestly thought it was your project Phil!

Seriously though, that looks a very nice cattle dock and wagon. Looking forward to seeing it progress!

• RMweb Premium

I like the look of this and I like the name - I think I said it once while walking on a footpath across some fields and getting chased by a load of bullocks. Will there be a backdrop or will it be open on the other side?

Thanks micro modeller for your kind comments. In answer to your question I am currently toying with a few ideas and have not yet decided on whether a backdrop will feature or not.

I need to try out a few scenarios first.

All the best

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Evening folks,

Not much progress made in the last week but some decisions made on the backdrop or should I say lack of. I decided that my CBC would look more effective as a 3600 viewed diorama as opposed to my last CBC 'The Coal Drop' which I feel was too enclosed and views were too restrictive. Having all round views also helps with taking photos as you have multiple angles to choose from. 

I have put some photos up to show how things are developing with the base and the cattle dock, I intend to complete these first before I return to the cattle van. Look at the first photo of the close up of the gates and without reading any further, see how long it takes you to see the obvious mistake .... Answer below.

I only realised myself when I looked at the image as a close up, as I had managed to glue the right hand gate on upside down. What a numpty, fortunately I was able to prize it back off and put it back on right way up. This is what happens when your eye sight starts to let you down, I already look like something out of NASA with my magnifying visor every time I attempt to stick something fiddly together. Its really annoying though when I try and take a swig of tea when I'm wearing it, as it never ends well.

I hope you enjoy my other progress photos, you can see that I am attempting to give the effect that the cattle dock has been cut into the embankment with the ground gently sloping onto the ramped side.

post-32869-0-07005300-1548115477_thumb.jpg

post-32869-0-69853800-1548115585_thumb.jpg

post-32869-0-57108800-1548115666_thumb.jpg

post-32869-0-45898100-1548115994_thumb.jpg

post-32869-0-32477400-1548116080_thumb.jpg

post-32869-0-78824500-1548116418_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

I like the look of this and I like the name - I think I said it once while walking on a footpath across some fields and getting chased by a load of bullocks. Will there be a backdrop or will it be open on the other side?

I like the weathered look of your cattle dock. They often seem to be modelled in far too pristine condition.

post-14351-0-56243900-1548116895_thumb.jpg

I will need some 00 cattle wagon passengers at some point in the future. Why are the only ones I can see, on sale, painted and therefore pricey or white metal -ditto- ? Does anyone do ready made blocks of cows, perhaps by 3D printing? I know internal dimensions will vary but blocks of three or four could work.

Edited by phil_sutters

• RMweb Premium

I like the weathered look of your cattle dock. They often seem to be modelled in far too pristine condition.

attachicon.gifIt's our public footpath Bishopstone 6 6 2015.jpg

I will need some 00 cattle wagon passengers at some point in the future. Why are the only ones I can see, on sale, painted and therefore pricey or white metal -ditto- ? Does anyone do ready made blocks of cows, perhaps by 3D printing? I know internal dimensions will vary but blocks of three or four could work.

Hi Phil

I like the image and caption re.the foot path comment. I think I would be inclined to moo've over if I saw this lot heading towards me. 

Thanking you for your kind comments on the weathering, it took me a while to find a way to paint the posts to resemble aged concrete. Still more lichen and moss to stick on here and there.

I agree with your comments on getting hold of decent looking cattle which are not pricey, they seem to be a rare breed. My personal view is that cattle, horses, sheep etc are all very difficult to make look lifelike especially if they are being eye balled from close distance on a layout. I think they look better located on a hill side away from close scrutiny and at a smaller scale to give some false perspective of greater depth to a scene.

In my case for this scene I have removed myself from this dilemma by having me prize bullocks pre loaded on to the cattle van and forum members will have to trust me that they really are in the van (honest).

All the best

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Evening folks and thanks to you all for your kind comments on the build so far.

I'm still working on the cattle dock and have now also built up the ground using strips of news paper covered in diluted pva glue and when dry covered in quick drying filler and finally painted in various shades of brown acrylic paints.

All the gates are on now and right way up and I've added lichen and moss to the posts. Next steps will be to add the stand pipes and water troughs, then some straw and animal muck. I have to provide some evidence that cattle were once here before being loaded onto the cattle van.

Those of you who are wondering why there is no track as yet, reason as follows;

The cattle van is P4 gauge and I am still awaiting for C&L Finescale to deliver the track components so that I can build it. The track wasn't just for this CBC, I am planning a micro P4 layout in the near future which will feature the cattle van and the dock.

Here's a couple of photos of progress to date, I quite like the B & W photo.

post-32869-0-28013100-1548539529_thumb.jpg

post-32869-0-15316000-1548539555_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Nice work on the ground behind the cattle dock. The cattle dock is looking really good.

Very nice of you to say so Stu.

I have really enjoyed making this Ratio kit and I like adding the weathering and extra detail. I'm thinking about adding a footpath running along the back of the cattle dock.

All the best 

Mark

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The B&W picture is great. I found that they show up the detail better and also you can find any mistakes and correct them. Isn't digital photography great. 

Thanks Geoff

Yep, instant results with digital. I can still remember though sending my films off in the post to Supa-Snaps to get them developed, only to be disappointed a week later when you get them back and there all rubbish.

All the best

Mark 

• RMweb Premium

I like the weathering on the posts and gates of the cattle dock. I noticed the weathering straight away, and only noticed the upside down gate when you pointed it out. How did you weather the posts? Dry brushing?

Alex

Thanks Alex

I used the following method for painting the posts;

As the plastic was quite smooth on the  posts, before painting, all four sides of each post received a gentle filing to slightly roughen the surface. Then a base coat of Citadel 'Rotten Flesh' was applied and left to dry. I decided to stick the posts onto the base at this stage and then fill in the post rail holes not required with filler.

Next stage was to apply several very thin washes of Rail Match 'Frame Dirt' to replicate dirt and grime. Then using a few buff and grey colours some dry brushing just to pick out some of the rougher surfaces,

For the lichen and moss I use the dust which collects at the bottom of boxes of tea bags. It's very fine stuff and has lots of uses in railway modelling. Using a cocktail stick, I apply tiny spots of rocket glue onto the posts and then sprinkle over the dust leave a few seconds a blow off. When dry you can then paint to resemble lichen and moss.

Here's a couple of photos showing the tea dust and how I have used it before on the roof of a coal office in my CBC entry of 2018 'The coal drop'. 

All the best

Mark

post-32869-0-55046100-1548589776_thumb.jpg

post-32869-0-41020200-1548589971_thumb.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Well here's my first post under the new format and its really just to see that it all works. Reading the updates over the past few days, I can imagine the BRM team have had a bit of a mare getting the platform back up and running with everything working. For what its worth, I think it looks pretty smart, so well done BRM and the RMWeb team.

Back to the plot, I have just started introducing some greenery into the scene, the idea being to run this along the fence line first and then to threadle the fence poles through afterwards to give the impression that the undergrowth has grown around the fence. There's a making of a path now also which needs a lot more work.

All the best Mark

20190203_001108.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
On 03/02/2019 at 18:29, Bill Matters said:

Excellent. Are there any plastic 00 cattle wagon kits that have poseable doors you can have open, rather than having to carve-up the moulding into two doors and a ramp?

Hi Bill

I haven't found any myself, not saying they don't exist though. If your unable to find something suitable, then maybe have a go at kit bashing one of the Dapol cattle wagon kits as they are relatively inexpensive and then its not too bad if it doesn't work out.

Happy hunting

Mark

• Agree 2