Alpha Mimic Ground Signals Without the Mimic Board

dmustu

Hello,

I am wondering how to wire the dcc concepts alpha mimic ground signals without using the mimic board. The signals only have 2 wires, and to change the aspect, you have to change the polarity. Using a DPDT switch to change manually seems easy enough, but I was wondering how to link the signal to a point motor, so the signal will change automatically?

Could you use a DPDT relay linked to the point motor switch to change the signal? I was thinking that if a point motor switch can be used as an 'on off' switch, this could power the relay to alter the polarity for the signal.

Also, the signal will need resistors, should these be used between the relay and signal, and would both wires to the signal need a resistor?

Thanks, Stuart.

• RMweb Premium

Hello,

I am wondering how to wire the dcc concepts alpha mimic ground signals without using the mimic board. The signals only have 2 wires, and to change the aspect, you have to change the polarity. Using a DPDT switch to change manually seems easy enough, but I was wondering how to link the signal to a point motor, so the signal will change automatically?

Could you use a DPDT relay linked to the point motor switch to change the signal? I was thinking that if a point motor switch can be used as an 'on off' switch, this could power the relay to alter the polarity for the signal.

Also, the signal will need resistors, should these be used between the relay and signal, and would both wires to the signal need a resistor?

Thanks, Stuart.

The resistor needs wiring into either of the two wires to the signal.

There is s way of switching them with a SPDT/changeover contact - you just need a +/0/- split power supply.

Connect 0v to the signal.

Connect common on the switch to the signal 

Make sure a resistor is in either of the two leads above.

Connect the +v and -v to the switched contacts of the switch.

You can make a split rail supply bu connecting the negative of one supply to the positive of another - this will now become the 0v refernce.

The "plug in"/wall wart type of power supplies are ideal for this

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Premium

Cheers,

I was thinking that you would need a resistor in both signal wires as the polarity is being reversed.

Thanks, Stuart.

No need - as long as there is a resistor somewhere in series to wiring to the signal.

Cheers,

MIck 

• 1 year later...

As above.

A two-wire Alpha Mimic ground signal can be powered/controlled by a reversing 12v DC supply - via a DPDT switch.

(In much the same way our Cobalt Omega and Analog Ip motors)

All you have to do is make sure that there is a series resistor in one of the two wires to the signal - it does not matter which wire.

Typical value - 5k ohm, but can be adjusted to suit the user's personal preference for brightness.

Best Regards,

The DCCconcepts Team

• 5 months later...

Had some Eckon ground signals switching from a Gaugemaster GM500 relay no problem but wasn't happy with them so bought some DCC Concepts ones.

Can't work out how to wire them up to the relay with them being 2 wire and reverse polarity.

Can they be switched via the GM500 relay?

Has anyone done this or got a wiring diagram?

Cheers.

2 hours ago, Magna Junction said:

Had some Eckon ground signals switching from a Gaugemaster GM500 relay no problem but wasn't happy with them so bought some DCC Concepts ones.

Can't work out how to wire them up to the relay with them being 2 wire and reverse polarity.

Can they be switched via the GM500 relay?

Has anyone done this or got a wiring diagram?

Cheers.

Same wiring as DCC concepts advise above with a DPDT switch, except you have a relay in place of the switch.   Same wiring as the slightly fuzzy picture Jeff has above of his switch.    Yes, that should work with a GM500 - it has all the relevant connections.  

- Nigel

4 hours ago, Nigelcliffe said:

Same wiring as DCC concepts advise above with a DPDT switch, except you have a relay in place of the switch.   Same wiring as the slightly fuzzy picture Jeff has above of his switch.    Yes, that should work with a GM500 - it has all the relevant connections.  

- Nigel

Thanks Nigel, by cross connecting terminals 2 to 6 and 5 to 3 on the relay ive got them to work, happy days :good: