Hornby dublo 3-rail

wilsoh

Hi all,

My self and a friend at Cleveland Model Railway Club have decided to resurrect our H D 3-rail model railway.

We have constructed a 8 x 4 ft board in two parts.

The trackplan will basically be two loops with sidings off the inner one.

What is the best way to get power connections across the board joint?

Or is it better to have multiple supplies to each loop so all the track is powered?

Regards

Howard

• 1 year later...

Did you progress this? My club (Market Deeping) have a similar project. 

One thing we quickly decided, was that since we had no isolating points in our stock, and all outer rails were the same polarity, we would run a bus around the loop with droppers at intervals, and isolating junctions between the two loops (we have two x twin controllers) 

Yes, we got the basic two loops plus sidings done. All our points are manual isolating ones so we had no problems with powering the two loops separately. We use a separate Hornby controller (with new supply cable and PAT tested) on each loop. We have two power supplies to each loop one on each board. we still experience some conflicts but its fun sorting out on the go. One thing we have done which works well is to link an isolated section of track with a signal which stops the train when the signal is at stop. To do this we have two switches one to control the signal and one to isolate the track.

When we get back to the club I will have to take some photos of our layout and rolling stock. I must admit I can`t resist buying reasonably priced N2`s. I must have about 8 of them now. Some rough ones have been repainted and re numbered into neverwazzas.

Regards

Howard