ZIMO DCC Sound Decoder Repair

Graham Radish

Hello folks,

Is there anywhere in the UK that repairs ZIMO dcc sound decoders? i stupidly connected a stay alive to it  now the decoder just gets hot and does nothing. Dont really want to throw it away as it cost £105, its a class 37 model with Paul Chetter sounds.

Thanks.

Get in touch with the supplier, they normally offer a replacement at quite a discount, my favourite supplier only charges around £15 to replace a blown one, he has had a few grand from me over the years though but don't think I get them any cheaper than any one else.

It worth asking whoever supplied yours what they charge for a blown replacement.

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Get in touch with the supplier, they normally offer a replacement at quite a discount, my favourite supplier only charges around £15 to replace a blown one, he has had a few grand from me over the years though but don't think I get them any cheaper than any one else.

It worth asking whoever supplied yours what they charge for a blown replacement.

Who's your supplier...?

• RMweb Premium

Out of interest, why is it "stupidly connected"?

Surely most chips can accept a stay alive?

Or was it "connected stupidly?"

I think there has to be the firemware capacity to accept variations in current supply, and the pads/connections with which to hook up a stay-alive. As such it is my understanding not all decoders can be used with stay-alives.

As far as getting a Zimo sound decoder repaired I would suggest contacting Digitrains. They offer a replacement service for wrecked Zimo sound decoders at a very reasonable price, for which I am extremely grateful.

Izzy

• Like 1

I think there has to be the firemware capacity to accept variations in current supply, and the pads/connections with which to hook up a stay-alive. As such it is my understanding not all decoders can be used with stay-alives.

As far as getting a Zimo sound decoder repaired I would suggest contacting Digitrains. They offer a replacement service for wrecked Zimo sound decoders at a very reasonable price, for which I am extremely grateful.

Izzy

In the Zimo case, as far as I can work out, every Zimo loco decoder produced in at least the last ten years can accept a stay-alive module.  But, the type of module, and where it connects, varies with decoder type (some need a charging/discharge circuit, some don't, some use 16v capacitors regardless of track voltage, etc..).    The Zimo manuals have thorough information on this, but do have to be read carefully, and apply the sections relevant to the decoder one has to hand. 

For other brands, its a matter of finding the relevant connection places (often not documented, often no solder pads, may need multiple connection places). 

- Nigel

It was working perfect until i connected a dcc concepts basic stayalive cap, (the one with built in resistor) everything was done textbook, now once power is applied it just gets red hot, and i mean hot! instant finger burner.

Looks like the boards power section has gone open.

Edited by Graham Radish

Izzy

Ill send them an email mate, thanks for that i will see what they say, i bought the class37 from ebay with the zimo chip fitted and pcb scrapped.

Both Digitrains and YouChoos do replacement Zimo Sound decoders (for blown Zimo sound chips) for about £25 (have a guess at how I know this).

As the decoder had Paul Chetter sounds and Paul works closely with Digitrains, I second Izzy's suggestion and contact them.

Art

• RMweb Premium

I think each sound file provider adds their own unique reference to the decoders that they add sound to.

Digitrains should be able to check the decoder and confirm it is one of theirs so you may not need to send any paperwork. I'd guess that they can have a fairly accurate idea of when the decoder was sold from the reference number as well.

I've just had excellent service from Zimo in Vienna. My MX696 that has been sitting in its box on a shelf for a year or two would not load a new sound file. I returned it to Zimo as I have no record of its purchase. It is now back with me with a report that says a manufacturing error has been repaired. I only had to pay the outbound postage. 

Regards

Richard

• Like 1