Tim Horn Baseboards

Dragonboy

• RMweb Premium

Another satisfied customer here. Ordered one small baseboard on the website in readiness for an entry in the 2mm Scale Association Diamond Jubilee Challenge next year, and it turned up promptly before Christmas.

• Like 1

I have to say the original poster is way out of line here. I've ordered and built a set of boards from Tim, one set custom ordered, the other a standard design, and the order was processed swiftly and dispatched and delivered as promised. When I had a query a quick phone call sorted it out straight away. Any issues the OP had, I suggest are entirely their own fault, due to how they've gone about conducting themselves.

• RMweb Premium

Another satisfied customer on three different orders.

The first was for some bespoke curved boards (which are superb compared to anything I could have made) and some "run of the mill" 4 x 2 boards on the same order. See pages 9-12 on  Deadmans Lane in my sig.

The next two orders were standard 9mm top boards - both delivered in a timely fashion. (7-10 days or so)

It almost took longer to unpack the boards than build them, they go together that well!

Yes - I have known Tim for a number of years and like others have said, he is a very personable guy and easy to deal with.

The phone has always worked for me - if he hasn't answered, it's because he's very, very busy watching his machines and has called back as soon as convenient to reply to the answer machine.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've ordered six boards from Tim Horn over the last few years and had no problems with them. They go together excellently and are very sturdy once assembled. Once or twice they were a little slow arriving but they did get here in the end (always with a friendly note apologising for the delay) and when I had a missing piece, Tim supplied it very promptly. I have found the "contact" form on the website to be a bit hit and miss as to whether you get a response, though.

I had a good long chat with him at the Portsmouth show and I gather he's a little uncertain about how upcoming developments may affect his imported wood supply, so let's hope he can keep the business going. I for one can't be arsed with woodwork.

Since there seems to be a number of happy customers here, can anyone advise me why the 'Photo Box' type boards listed on Tim's website (as shown in Melly's post #34) have 6 mm thick tops, yet the standard flat laser cut boards seem to have 9 mm thick tops?  I'd just have assumed that Tim would have used a standard thickness across the range, but this doesn't seem to be the case.  Can these be used together without problems?  I'm thinking about using the standard boards with 9 mm tops for the fiddle yard and possibly the 'Photo box' type boards for the front scenic side, but wondering whether the holes for the alignment dowels are designed to line up the top faces?

One other question, if the photograph in post #34 is the 2' wide version, what is the maximum height once assembled from the underside of the baseboard to the top side of the lighting pelmet.  The website states "The back scene is 50 cms high with a 10 cm high side", which I assume means that the overall height is 60 cm (10 cm below track level and 50 cm above) and that the 50 cm above comprises something like a 40 cm viewing area and a 10 cm lighting pelmet, but the wording isn't particularly clear.

• Like 1

He does do a turntable fiddle yard, but it's not an 'off the shelf' item as there are many variables for what each modeller wants it to do; it would be tough to please everyone with 1 design! Best bet if you want 1 is to email/call him :)

(then wait 3 years.....)

Since there seems to be a number of happy customers here, can anyone advise me why the 'Photo Box' type boards listed on Tim's website (as shown in Melly's post #34) have 6 mm thick tops, yet the standard flat laser cut boards seem to have 9 mm thick tops?  I'd just have assumed that Tim would have used a standard thickness across the range, but this doesn't seem to be the case.  Can these be used together without problems?  I'm thinking about using the standard boards with 9 mm tops for the fiddle yard and possibly the 'Photo box' type boards for the front scenic side, but wondering whether the holes for the alignment dowels are designed to line up the top faces?

One other question, if the photograph in post #34 is the 2' wide version, what is the maximum height once assembled from the underside of the baseboard to the top side of the lighting pelmet.  The website states "The back scene is 50 cms high with a 10 cm high side", which I assume means that the overall height is 60 cm (10 cm below track level and 50 cm above) and that the 50 cm above comprises something like a 40 cm viewing area and a 10 cm lighting pelmet, but the wording isn't particularly clear.

Just to the first point, from experience working with him the wood thickness is usually determined by how ridged/supported it is. For example, he cut 2 very similar types of board for me, but knowing one of them would have to take considerably more weight than the other he went with 9mm for that top rather than 6mm. Everything he provides will be from the most suitable material for the job from his experience. If you let him know that you plan on using a standard as a fiddle for a photo box then I'm sure he will make sure the alignment dowel locations are appropriately positioned for you. HTH

• 4 months later...

Just another "thumbs up" here.

I'm not the world's worst woodworker, but circumstances, time and available space meant that butchering my own boards was not an option this time round.

I ordered a couple of small standard boards from Tim and had the items personally delivered by the man himself at about 7pm yesterday evening. Top quality and a joy to behold. It's almost a shame to cover them in paint, glue and pesky trains...

Top notch.

• Like 4

Another word of support for Tim, worlds away from some suppliers.

Queried him, friendly and prompt reply, board ordered, paid for and then when board arrived, paid the balance of the intl postage.  I need to get around to ordering another!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jack P said:

Another word of support for Tim, worlds away from some suppliers.

Queried him, friendly and prompt reply, board ordered, paid for and then when board arrived, paid the balance of the intl postage.  I need to get around to ordering another!

I'll have to check with him, but I wonder if that makes you his furthest delivery?...

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi All,

I finally got around to a creating a suitable plan to use my 4 foot scenic board and Tim made me a suitable 4 foot fiddle yard board to match with higher sides that I wanted which he very kindly brought up to Glasgow show in Feb. It went together perfectly and creates a very professional looking display for when I can get the layout built and out to a couple of exhibitions. 

Excellent service as usual

Thanks

Mark

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hi Tim,

Any update on when the website will be up an running again?

Also, I know that you cant ship plywood to Australia, but there are no restrictions on MDF (I can send the link if you like?) due to the processes used in manufacture. Would you consider in the future MDF products?

Cheers

James

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Down_Under said:

Hi Tim,

Also, I know that you cant ship plywood to Australia, but there are no restrictions on MDF (I can send the link if you like?) due to the processes used in manufacture. Would you consider in the future MDF products?

Cheers

James

I believe Tim gives you the option of mdf or ply already.

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Down_Under said:

Hi Tim,

Cheers

James

Just spoken with Tim as he's not on RMweb anymore and showed him your post; he asks if you could send him an email please.

• Informative/Useful 2

15 minutes ago, Erixtar1992 said:

anyone know how long it usually takes for them to arrive once you have been invoiced/paid roughly?

Not that long.  I ordered several custom boards earlier in the year and although it took a couple of months to find a slot for production, I wasn't invoiced until they were effectively ready for shipping.  I think I had them within a week of receiving and paying the invoice.

• Like 1