Seeking Inspiration for a Double Garage in OO!

davidprentice

Hi all

I'm seeking some inspiration for track plans for a layout in OO in a double garage. The approximate dimensions are 5m x 5m or around 16'6 x 16'6!

Please feel free to point me to other layouts that might be on here that you have come across that exist in a double garage, or a comparable space!

Also happy to receive any track plans from AnyRail or similar that might only exist on a computer!

Best wishes to all!

Dave

• RMweb Gold

One layout idea of Cyril Freezers I've always wanted to do, but never had the space or money, was one with a central peninsula terminus, with a triangle junction, connecting into a figure 8 looped around the garage. So a train cold leave the terminus, do 2 laps of the garage and return without having covered the same track twice. It also had the ability that the trains could just lap around the garage, presumably while you were shunting in the large terminus.

Could easily be adapted to any region or era, I should think. 

Edited by JohnR

That's an impressive amount of space available maybe a bit more background what sort of period do you want to model is there any particular wants you would like or not want?

David

As above. What do you want to model?

I find it useful to make a list of the things you want to do, then arrange them in the order of importance to you. Put on it anything you like. This should start you off.

Here was mine:

Model a real location

Run class 86s & 87s with InterCity services.

Yard of some sort: goods terminal or loco/unit servicing facilities

Level crossing

Tunnel

Shunting of some sort

Run class 319s

Run oil trains

Run MGR coal trains.

Some of these would simply not work with each other, so I the most important ones to me took priority & I have crossed out the ones which would not work for me.

You may notice that there is not even station mentioned, but the best area I could find which met my requirements actually has one, so my layout does too.

Edited by Pete the Elaner

• RMweb Gold

As an example of a layout in a similar space, can I suggest Clive Mortimore's Sheffield Exchange that can be found on here. Good use of the space available.

I believe that Everard Junction on YouTube uses a similar amount of space as well.

Would be interesting to know if you have the entire space available for use or not?

• RMweb Premium

Pete the Elaner's list approach is a great way to start, although of course it lends itself to modelling a prototype location - you can have whatever you want. You definitely need some idea of what that is though!

If you want 'trains in the scenery' type approach, rather than a scale model of King's Cross, then you could look to some N gauge layouts, and scale up as well.

Pete the Elaner's list approach is a great way to start, although of course it lends itself to modelling a prototype location - you can have whatever you want. You definitely need some idea of what that is though!

If you want 'trains in the scenery' type approach, rather than a scale model of King's Cross, then you could look to some N gauge layouts, and scale up as well.

I suppose...or is it just that was top of my list?

You may want a level crossing & also model a cutting or embankment, but these 2 conflict each other because roads would be more likely to pass over or under the railway.

Or you may just want to model something because you want to build it. Nothing wrong with that.

Just remember that if you fill a space that big with trains, it's a big undertaking. You need to be sure that you've got the time and money available to achieve whatever you want from it in the time you expect to live in that house, and won't get bored and give up before you've even got trains running.

So long as you're sure a layout that big is right for you then go for it...

If it were me (and I had more time and money than I actually do) I'd build a system type layout in that space. The Nether Madder thread on here is an is example, as are many of the American basement empire type setups. I think Afk (also on here) is another.

• RMweb Premium

I suppose...or is it just that was top of my list?

You may want a level crossing & also model a cutting or embankment, but these 2 conflict each other because roads would be more likely to pass over or under the railway.

Or you may just want to model something because you want to build it. Nothing wrong with that.

You're right - although with c20m to play with you can have a cutting and a level crossing ;)

• Like 1

Another vote here for the terminus (or two) on a peninsular with continuous run round the edge of the garage. Enables the layout to be built in stages, starting with the continuous run bracketed from the walls.

Does anyone have a link to a schematic of one of these or the aforementioned CJ Freezer plan - only I'm hoping to have approx 9' x 30' to occupy later this year and I'm finding it hard to visualise whether I could compress and fit a slim 'X' shape into that for maximum play value....

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone have a link to a schematic of one of these or the aforementioned CJ Freezer plan - only I'm hoping to have approx 9' x 30' to occupy later this year and I'm finding it hard to visualise whether I could compress and fit a slim 'X' shape into that for maximum play value....

9' is a bit limiting for this type of layout unless you can accept very tight curves (hidden?) but with 30' of length to play with it should be possible. I can't do a schematic here at the moment as I don't have a scanner with me but I can get back to you later in the week.

9' is a bit limiting for this type of layout unless you can accept very tight curves (hidden?) but with 30' of length to play with it should be possible. I can't do a schematic here at the moment as I don't have a scanner with me but I can get back to you later in the week.

For a double track circuit, a minimum radius of 4' should be achievable, and the ends could relatively easily be disguised beyond scenic breaks.

Hi all

I'm seeking some inspiration for track plans for a layout in OO in a double garage. The approximate dimensions are 5m x 5m or around 16'6 x 16'6!

Please feel free to point me to other layouts that might be on here that you have come across that exist in a double garage, or a comparable space!

Also happy to receive any track plans from AnyRail or similar that might only exist on a computer!

Best wishes to all!

Dave

Don't bother.

It'll drive you bonkers / bankruptcy / divorce.

Edited by Crisis Rail
  • Like 1

I'm kind of with the previous poster, in that it is a big old space for 00, and could easily turn into a millstone, unless you have:

- a lot of money to spend on outside help; or,

- a lot of mates to help; or,

- barely anything else to do with your time, and a very focused and tenacious approach to a job; and,

- plenty of life left ahead of you; and,

- a large supply of track-rubbers.

Having got that over with ...........

Even in 0 scale (I'll say that again ....... 0 scale ....... just to set a seed growing) in that space you could create a layout that has two termini, and a "round-roundy" bit, so that trains can travel from A to B, probably with C and D in between.

How much experience have you got in the hobby? If lots, you'll have a lot of well-founded thoughts already; if little, my advice would be to start very modestly/gently, rather than going straight for something lavish, which you might quickly wish you'd approached differently.

Anyway: enjoy!

• Like 1

Hi David

You seem to have the space available that I have....

First I built what you may call a roundy roundy. This cut across the middle of the room.i did this as I wanted to have at least two trains running at the same time. In fact I made it three loops.

On the mainlines is a station and an off shoot To the branch and viaduct which was high on my list of requirements.

I also wanted a terminus with freight depot and maintenance depot.

This was so I could have plenty of shunting and loco changes whilst the others ran on the loops with out much in put from me.

Just the sight and sounds are quite pleasing as to me whilst concentration is needed on branch terminus.

Take look you may find some inseration.

Good luck Dan

Hi David

You seem to have the space available that I have....

First I built what you may call a roundy roundy. This cut across the middle of the room.i did this as I wanted to have at least two trains running at the same time. In fact I made it three loops.

On the mainlines is a station and an off shoot To the branch and viaduct which was high on my list of requirements.

I also wanted a terminus with freight depot and maintenance depot.

This was so I could have plenty of shunting and loco changes whilst the others ran on the loops with out much in put from me.

Just the sight and sounds are quite pleasing as to me whilst concentration is needed on branch terminus.

Take look you may find some inseration.

Malvern Road / Pates Junction Layout

Good luck Dan

Edited by Pigwife007

Hi all

Thanks for the thoughts on this.

I'm primarily looking at a modern image layout - from mid-1990s to present. I like my Intercity Swallow liveries onwards and am primarily into my diesels, rather than electrics. I'd like it to broadly reflect my memory of the Intercity, Virgin, and similar HSTs roaring along through country and into a town scene/station - with some more modern DMUs (159,166,220/221s) plus of course some freight movements. I have previously spent quite a bit of time in the hobby and previously had a layout around 12 ft x 8ft. I learned - even with that experience - that getting even a couple loops up and running can take time if you aren't careful!!

From a list perspective, I guess:

• 1990s to present
  • Some nice runs for near-full-length HSTs to run through (I was always quite fond of a layout modelled on Doncaster that had decent long mainline runs)
  • A decent sized TMD for some of the diesel locos to potter about
  • At least one station - I'd quite like a mainline station along with a smaller branchline type station
  • I quite like the idea of a heritage railway element, similar to that seen in New Junction on Youtube
  • Sufficient space for a decent fiddle yard - either on the same level, or else, perhaps on a sub-level

I could probably have most, if not all of the space for a layout. I want to walk before I run, however. Even the 12x8 layout I last had, took significant time.

In my head, I rather like the idea of starting against just one wall of the garage and to have that as the first scenic area with the flexitrack, and to set up a quick-to-build/quick-to-dismantle semi-permanent run of setrack from either end around and down the middle of the garage (where a makeshift fiddle yard could perhaps sit), in order that I can swiftly get to a point of being able to enjoyably run trains. I am certainly keen to avoid the problem of not actually having a couple loops of track in place - I enjoy running the trains!! I think the words of caution around not biting off more than I can chew are certainly points well made.

I'm therefore mostly seeking inspiration for what I might start with and what I might want to keep open as future possibilities.

The suggestion of running diagonally across the garage is perhaps an alternative and more ambitious place to start. I certainly like the idea of having such a long run available, but am nervous about getting the track plan right! I think another fear of mine is taking the space and making it too busy! The temptation is there to fill every last inch with baseboard/scenery/track, when actually, less is almost certainly more.

I'll be sure to check out some of the suggestions of layouts put forward!

Thanks again for all the contributions!

The general form of that the plan goes back a good way pre-CJF, certainly Rev Beale was using something very similar in the 1930s.

Personally, I would aim to split the terminus into two parallel termini, perhaps separated by a backscene or ‘high ground’, to give some proper to-and-from, but that’s a matter of taste. If split, some cunning tricks could allow some facilities, notably an MPD, could be shared, to save building two, especially if turntables are involved.

• Like 2