The big LMS well wagon

PatriotClass

Hello,

I would like to model this fascinating well wagon in 00 scale.

Currently i am doing the CAD modelling for the 3D printing of the parts. Luckily the two guys on the picture give me a relation of the size of the wagon. Unfortunately this picture is the only one I could find on the web.
It looks like this giant has 24 wheels in four three-axle trucks and a length of about 26 meters.

Does anyone of the prototype Pros has an idea, where I can find some more pictures or has any more detailed information about this wagon?

Which color might it be? It seems darker than the light grey of the standard LMS well wagon.

Thanks for any help ^^

Cheers

Chris

lmstrafowagen12achsendjk7e.jpg

Searching under 'Transformer Wagon' should produce something. A cursory visit produced this link:- https://www.google.com/search?q=LMS+Transformer+Wagon&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiE8fzure3fAhUHQhUIHZ_XAb4QgwMILA&biw=1600&bih=768

Someone on RM Web has produced a kit of a similar wagon. If you can, I would suggest changing the title of the thread to 'Transformer Wagon'

"An illustrated history of LMS wagons, Vol.2" is what you need.

A dimensioned weight diagram of the 120 ton Bogie Trolley to Dia.136A appears on page 89.

The wagon is shown as 87'1" over buffers, 84'0" over headstocks.

Wheels are 2'8.1/2" dia. on 5'0" centres, giving each pair of bogies a 25'0" wheelbase.

The main supporting girders are 5'0" deep at the centerline of the wagon.

Brian R.

Edited by br2975

• RMweb Premium

Hello,

I would like to model this fascinating well wagon in 00 scale.

Currently i am doing the CAD modelling for the 3D printing of the parts. Luckily the two guys on the picture give me a relation of the size of the wagon. Unfortunately this picture is the only one I could find on the web.

It looks like this giant has 24 wheels in four three-axle trucks and a length of about 26 meters.

Does anyone of the prototype Pros has an idea, where I can find some more pictures or has any more detailed information about this wagon?

Which color might it be? It seems darker than the light grey of the standard LMS well wagon.

Thanks for any help ^^

Cheers

Chris

lmstrafowagen12achsendjk7e.jpg

This wagon appears in LMS Wagons Vol 2, page 89. The LMS called it a 120 Ton Bogie Trolley code BTW, drawing no. 15/935 (later Transformer MB, by British Rail). Carried the number 300000 and weighed 58 Ton 1 Qtr. Built for the LMS in 1930.

Beaten by Brian R.

I doubt it was any other colour, but grey.

Edited by kevinlms

These heavy specially constructed vehicles are interesting. (I just love that some optimist has had 'shunt with care' stencilled on this set. If the loco crew and others responsible couldn't appreciate that just by looking at it, then small hope that a small notice is going to produce the desired effect.) Although assigned company ownership such vehicles were constructed in the national interest to get the UK's electricity grid completed, and deployed as required to whichever company had a large load requiring such a wagon.

My own thoughts are tending toward one of BR's 135T Transformer MC sets, the 'last of the line'. Also a twenty four wheel job, of pretty clear descent from this LMS wagon which BR classified Transformer MB. They only need a relatively small loco when out on the road with a load (unless there's a serious gradient) as they moved at little more than walking pace under line possessions when traffic was lightest at the weekend.

• Like 1

"An illustrated history of LMS wagons, Vol.2" is what you need.

Thanks, br2975 and kevinlms!

I just ordered a pre-owned copy of the two volumes at amazon.uk. It appears to be absolute essential having these sources, when modelling the LMS.

Hope Mr Essery provides some information about the color of the wagon too.

Thanks, br2975 and kevinlms!

Hope Mr Essery provides some information about the color of the wagon too.

You're welcome.

The wagon is illustrated (unloaded) in Vol.2, and appears to be in LMS 'light' grey.

Brian R

Edited by br2975

• 10 months later...

Hi Folks,

To update this thread I post here a picture of my first LMS 120 ton bogie trolley.

Well, it's the first one and I will make a second one with some adjustments to get closer to the prototype. There I will add the funny decaling "Shunt with care" too.^^

Here some informations about the used parts:

It is made of 38 3D printed parts. For bonding the PLA material I used Ivonik Acrifix. To improve the stability of the bridge, I welded the parts together using a 3D pen.

I've drawn all parts on computer by using CorelDraw for the Splines and Cinema4D for modelling.

It's running on Märklin metal wheelsets in 2mm Romford pin point bearings. The buffers are Wrenn spare parts and couplers are Märklin.

120_ton_LMS_bogie_trolley.jpg

Edited by PatriotClass
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

10 hours ago, PatriotClass said:

Hi Folks,

To update this thread I post here a picture of my first LMS 120 ton bogie trolley.

Well, it's the first one and I will make a second one with some adjustments to get closer to the prototype. There I will add the funny decaling "Shunt with care" too.^^

Here some informations about the used parts:

It is made of 38 3D printed parts. For bonding the PLA material I used Ivonik Acrifix. To improve the stability of the bridge, I welded the parts together using a 3D pen.

I've drawn all parts on computer by using CorelDraw for the Splines and Cinema4D for modelling.

It's running on Märklin metal wheelsets in 2mm Romford pin point bearings. The buffers are Wrenn spare parts and couplers are Märklin.

120_ton_LMS_bogie_trolley.jpg

That's a lovely piece of work. When transformers got heavier, a form of weight transference was used. A bogie flat would be coupled at each end, with a pivoted beam on top. One end of the beam would overhang the loaded wagon, and be attached to it. The other end of this beam would sit above a second flat and weights attached, according to the 'Principle of Moments', thereby transferring some of the weight of the Transformer.