Phoenix Yard (Including related builds and stock mods etc.)

• RMweb Gold

Although it will be only an occasional visitor to the layout finally getting the B16 rescue from ebay kit I bought from @Mark C nearly three years ago out into the actually getting onto the (a)round tuit workbench. Currently watching @Tony Wright's excellent loco kit building video (ex-DVD I am assuming) on YouTube. The kit is part built, I am guessing at about a quarter done. The age of the kit is shown by the references to various options for the mechanisms - Romford Bulldog or K's. Luckily it also suggested one of the DJH gearboxes and that is now odered.

Today's task is tracking down a source of the necessary wheels and axles. 23mm drivers, 12mm front bogie and 16mm for the tender. plus the necessary Romford/Markits screwdriver. I am anticipating a struggle given comments elsewhere on availability of Markits components. I do have three axles and two sets of the 23mm drivers I can liberate from another round tuit project but, hopefully, won't have to.

The more you delve into the field of kit building the more there is to know/learn. Hopefully by Missenden I will have sourced the wheels.

• RMweb Gold

Saturday: Magnets put in for future use with Sprat & Winkle couplings. Ballast now down and drying; remembering to put the magnets in first.  
Numpties error avoided. Taking  advantage  of the two working days at the club rooms so that the ballast dries overnight and hopefully I can also paint the track etc., during tomorrow.

Sunday: Layout now back home. In testing this morning whilst it was still over at the club rooms I tried it on DC and it ran fine. The Heljan Class 33 test loco traversing all tracks nice and smooth. The test wagons propel through all the track with no problems of jammed bits of ballast etc. I then tried a bit of DCC running. Very jittery with the two test locos I had with me and therefore it needs further testing. In the light of the jittery running on DCC no further track painting is to be done until I get smooth running in both power modes.

Edited by john new
Added Sunday's update

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Since the post above I have not had much time for test running or work on this layout; however, have done some general modelling work on other projects (for example see on Wright Writes). Test running on this has identified the oldest point on the layout (an old PECO Y) has become problematic.  Diesels seem to go through it OK but the longer wheelbase steam locos shift the point when set to the right hand divergence to slightly open. The outcome the front flange pushes it across enough for it go through swinging left or it just derails! The problem I am pretty sure is the point motor and associated surface mount motor rodding being a smidgeon out.

A bit of ballasting has also been done. A trial of chinchilla dust plus a bit of budgie grit and chinchilla dust alone. Prefer the latter. Lots still to do but scenery on hold until the track is sorted.

Final updates - the Hornby Rowntrees livery Ruston loco has finally arrived - three years since I pre-ordered it! The truck and bucket excavator were picked up at a garden centre and don't seem that far off 4mm. 

IMG_1807copy.jpg.3505ef83b86e670538ab04a9c1a09262.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, john new said:

Since the post above I have not had much time for test running or work on this layout; however, have done some general modelling work on other projects (for example see on Wright Writes). Test running on this has identified the oldest point on the layout (an old PECO Y) has become problematic.  Diesels seem to go through it OK but the longer wheelbase steam locos shift the point when set to the right hand divergence to slightly open. The outcome the front flange pushes it across enough for it go through swinging left or it just derails! The problem I am pretty sure is the point motor and associated surface mount motor rodding being a smidgeon out.

A bit of ballasting has also been done. A trial of chinchilla dust plus a bit of budgie grit and chinchilla dust alone. Prefer the latter. Lots still to do but scenery on hold until the track is sorted.

Final updates - the Hornby Rowntrees livery Ruston loco has finally arrived - three years since I pre-ordered it! The truck and bucket excavator were picked up at a garden centre and don't seem that far off 4mm. 

IMG_1807copy.jpg.3505ef83b86e670538ab04a9c1a09262.jpg

A bit more testing led to the decision to add two check rails with timber infill for a foot crossing. Method, bend rail to fit and file a notch for the pins, shorten two brass panel pins by snipping the head end off - solder to new check rail - position and hammer down into place. A minor adjustment also made to the point motor's base position.

The limited testing before adding the timbering suggested the issue is now resolved. Planning to leave the Araldite to dry for a decent period as have no wish to get on onto wheel treads. In place but not yet given any wood staining. The timber is just plain coffee stirrers trimmed to fit..

IMG_1808copy.jpg.0b518597719d7d268284fd8ec100fa6b.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
On 25/09/2021 at 23:18, john new said:

The paint stripping was successful,. Although it won't be an absolutely correct fix a strip of Code 80 rail is available to fill the above the windscreen gap. To fix it in place I will be trying the baking-powder & superglue method for the first time. For a windscreen replacement the packaging shape from a 2 x Scotch Egg package (Sainsburys) looks hopeful with the same shop's beef mince pack a back up option.

Finally got around to doing a bit on this project, why the delay, just lots of other things getting in the way. In the end for the missing windscreen glazing I have used a strip cut from Co-op Turkey slices packaging. Several unsuccessful goes at doing two half sections using the curves moulded into various types of clear packaging so in the end I found it just bends and stays bent. Central chrome strip, a bit of cooking foil. It can go to one side now  to let the glue thoroughly dry. Hopefully, what was the last of my Bostik white glue will dry clear as I remember it doing. The screen is wrap around, as per the prototype, but is flat not the slightly bulbous shape of the original. I am guessing (a) most viewers won't know so won't notice and (b) if they do it is local accident damage repair. [Looks better out of the photo]

BlankwindscreenandglazebaseIMG_1809copy.jpg.8dce358d583ddd76d90a860b02af6ea5.jpgbuswindscreenIMG_1810.jpg.f9f4a403df757b7aa02416f90cd6f3fb.jpg

Not in these photos, also some work done on painting the interior sub assemblies. Logic says The front windscreen needed to be in before doing much more on the inside and putting it back together as if the glazing doesn't stick etc., it will be harder to redo with the bus reassembled. One strategic decison to make - will it have a crew and passengers to be on the open road or left as an empty one for a depot parked up spot?

Edited by john new
Internet crashed part way through posting.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Ragtag said:

Maybe too late now, but Mark Hughes models have vac formed replacement screens suitable for a VR3.

Thanks, he isn't a supplier I was aware of. Now noted for any future needs.

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Just discovered that a track joint has moved and will need a tweak. I think it might be some shrinkage of the chinchilla dust ballast as it dried out after the PVA application. Hopefully a drop of boiling water on the spot and a tweak with a screwdriver will fix it. The joint  is formed with one of the plastic, insulating, fishplates. The 4mm version of a ganger or two with crowbars or in the modern era a tamping machine. It wasn’t there before ballasting.

Update - fixed yesterday (11 Apr) as per thoughts above.

Edited by john new
Updated.

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Summer weather must be getting closer, the first outdoor modelling session of the year done. I have a feeling it is psychological as when I worked on the full size railway (about 12 years volunteering on the NYMR) it was most often outdoors. Two tasks completed.

One a sprat and winkle measuring jig based on the one @mullie showed on his thread. Link here as per my post of 4 Oct 2022. That added to my programming track. First step use some hardboard strips to make a flat platform at rail height level then two bits of 6mm ply, the top one incorporating the 20deg slot.

The second adding what I intend to be a small loading platform/buffer stop. Ideally it needs a fixing screw adding once the glue has fully set. A bit of sanding, shaping and adding paint and scenic coverings still needed. 

The project keeps getting sidetracked but it isn’t dead.

IMG_1819.jpeg.642eeed0a13273a62c3ba547fb353220.jpegIMG_1820.jpeg.07fd5cb3d05884599e54ff85d9d019e4.jpegIMG_1821.jpeg.3d201f19f1426c62b1123c156aadddcd.jpeg

Edited by john new
proof reading & punctuation corrections.
  • Like 1