Phoenix Yard (Including related builds and stock mods etc.)

• RMweb Gold

Minor error - I had some pale blue emulsion in stock labelled Sky. Used it for base coat on the back scene. I’d forgotten how shiny silk finish dries. Not an urgent fix for ages yet but one for a sand down and repaint in matt finish.

Edited by john new

• RMweb Gold
On 14/09/2019 at 09:50, john new said:

Minor error - I had some pale blue emulsion in stock labelled Sky. Used it for base coat on the back scene. I’d forgotten how shiny silk finish dries. Not an urgent fix for ages yet but one for a sand down and repaint in matt finish.

Today’s activity update:- after an afternoon’s working on it in the garden the power box is now finished apart from some labelling (awaiting the next batch of laminating). The bearers, mounts and socket holes for the input from the power box also now completed on the layout ready for wiring*. The cooling fan recycled from a PC disk even works.

Next steps attach disconnect/swap the jury rigged power inputs currently allowing test running using my Gaugemaster Combi to the permanent feeds as I have a W ready to fit. These feeds are the DCC master power feed via one of them (an odd dc voltage for the NEC Powercab), 15v AC x 2 (Gaugemaster W input and points) and the link in the DPDT switch so I can’t have the DC and DCC switched on at the same time! I want this done before the weather breaks as I have limited room for working indoors.

The broken leg on the garden table also repaired.

*update: the Sunday wiring session didn’t fully go to plan. It was then too late (dark) for outside working and today (Monday) it rained. Testing resuming, hopefully, tomorrow,

Edited by john new
Update added 16th Sept.

• RMweb Gold

Work on this was delayed for a few days due initially to concentrating on getting some major shrub clearance in the garden completed before the weather broke. This was then compounded by the DC controller bought for the job not working, currently awaiting news on that from Gaugemaster's repair team. It was possibly damaged by me during wiring when I dropped a bolt across the terminals having forgotten I'd put power back into the extension cable to do some soldering but not disconnected the umbilical cord between the layout and the Powerbox/transformer!

The DCC side of the system was also delayed as I'd lost the flat cable for the NCE Powercab. A replacement bought from DCC Concepts and installed this afternoon; a quick test between rain showers had my DCC fitted 08 moving. At least with my power-box finished and track connected for DCC things can move/creep forwards again. Plenty of messy work as yet uncompleted but I can now concentrate on learning CV programming etc on the DCC.

Edited by john new

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 22/09/2019 at 17:31, john new said:

Work on this was delayed for a few days due initially to concentrating on getting some major shrub clearance in the garden completed before the weather broke. This was then compounded by the DC controller bought for the job not working, currently awaiting news on that from Gaugemaster's repair team. It was possibly damaged by me during wiring when I dropped a bolt across the terminals having forgotten I'd put power back into the extension cable to do some soldering but not disconnected the umbilical cord between the layout and the Powerbox/transformer!

The DCC side of the system was also delayed as I'd lost the flat cable for the NCE Powercab. A replacement bought from DCC Concepts and installed this afternoon; a quick test between rain showers had my DCC fitted 08 moving. At least with my power-box finished and track connected for DCC things can move/creep forwards again. Plenty of messy work as yet uncompleted but I can now concentrate on learning CV programming etc on the DCC.

DCC set-up now complete ready for testing and me getting to grips with the mysteries of DCC programming and CV values etc..

DC side - umm! Gaugemaster say nothing wrong with the unit which they have returned. Definitely good service from GM as no charge made for the test or for the return P&P.

However, when I looked at the wiring to the DIN plug before sending the unit back it looked as if I'd got the wire/pin configurations correct. Back to square one on that, the 16v AC seemed to be getting to the back of the socket ok so I am going to look again at the logic of which wire goes to which pin and if necessary start again. Also re-test with the multi-meter to check that it is not the socket that has a fault, (perhaps from too much heat during soldering on the wires) and that the plug pins are getting AC power through from the socket.  The light on the GM W fails to come on so the issue is undoubtedly in the AC feed line somewhere between the transformer output and the W's input lead.

Edited by john new

• RMweb Gold

DCC test running today with the Hornby 0-4-0 Sentinel diesel. Satisfactory, but a big learning curve to get used to for shunting with a momentum enabled loco. A long time since I last used an inertia controller on DC. In the short term I suspect the Emergency Stop switch may get used a lot.

DC - I did get the system running, the fault having eventually been traced to a problem on the DIN socket into which the W controller plugs. A lot of waggling got the system working intermittently, I am assuming it got too hot during soldering and the pins no longer properly connect. Replacement ordered plus a spare in case I make the same error again! (I hate fiddly little plastic fittings/plugs)

(Edit) - PS - this evening after putting the layout away I've also looked into why my old, long-lost, Hornby Caley liveried pug (a blue Smokey Joe) wasn't running as I'd found it hidden at the bottom of a non-railway items storage box whilst looking for something else; as to why it was in there I've no idea. Initially  I thought the motor must be dead, and that is why I'd put it to one side, but on stripping it back to components I found the motor to be fine but one of the copper/brass shaped pick up/motor contact parts is missing. That is another total mystery. Now to seek a replacement part, or make some new pickups. 

Edited by john new
Added the update re the 0-4-0.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Re the post above (DC system) - rewired as the dodgy plug & socket was an intermittent fault. 

Needing a break from faffing about with small fiddly soldering jobs decided on some quick and dirty modelling work for today's task. It is railway related and definitely in the DIY rather than the "buy something in" aspect of the ready made -v- built it yourself debate currently going on in other threads, notably Wright writes.

I wanted a long term storage box for my NCE controller, they are too expensive to just have kicking around in the layout fit-up box. I could, I'm sure, buy something pukka with a smart case and foam inserts but hey ho - two hours with part of the original box, some scrap packaging material and the hot glue gun resulted in something quick and easy that has cost very little and reduced waste. I also adapted the cover of the NCE manual to make a stick on cover for the outside to cover the incoming mailing label and Royal Mail delivery marks. Only have one job left to do, put some velcro on the flap so it stays shut. I have it in stock but it needs fishing out from under other stuff so that minor bit of finishing off will have to wait for now.

The key factor, the make of itself was an enjoyable way to pass the time creatively. End result more GMRC scratch-build challenge than MRJ: obviously I could have taken a lot more time over it with precision measuring and cutting but this was all that was needed to do the job.

742609456_Boxmake1sizeddown.jpg.83c2663569f54cedbb3d2ef0a9a53068.jpg346888382_Boxmake2sizeddown.jpg.1c4c99bf5b9213fad4a5d20312af7d80.jpg

Edited by john new
Spelling error and grammar corrected.
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

No physical progress recently on the layout due to needing to finally cross off the "to do list" some other commitments with higher priorities but a bit more stock and bits bought for it. Hoping to get back to it in next few days in the lull between editing the Nov/Dec SLS Journal (done and now at the printer) and starting the grunt work on the January/February edition.

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

No recent progress over the winter on this other than buying stock and kits. Hoping to get back to it soon now the weather is warm enough for modelling outdoors.

• RMweb Gold

With the sun out today, although it is still on the cold side, the garden table and chairs (aka the summer workbench) are coming out of the garage. If we have to self-distance I may as well get on with home based tasks, model trains and DIY.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, john new said:

With the sun out today, although it is still on the cold side, the garden table and chairs (aka the summer workbench) are coming out of the garage. If we have to self-distance I may as well get on with home based tasks, model trains and DIY.

updated 17:45. After a day shifting storage boxes around in the garage the kits are all now accessible. Like others some part finished items will get progressed and as I unpack the stock boxes will find kits and bits I’d forgotten I’d bought. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The trouble with working from home as a norm, in my case volunteering for the SLS, is that when there is an enforced break, weekend or Bank Holiday it makes little difference. With a workload peak now cleared there was time to get the layout out this afternoon/evening and test the new Hattons Class 66. (See also notes here in the 66 thread)

I know this fictitious line is ostensibly a DVLR spur off the Foss Islands branch (completely closed in 1987 and 1988 respectively) and that the Class 66 is much younger than this. As an SLS Director this is obviously a must have model for me, therefore, as far as my layout and this engine are concerned rule 1 definitely applies.

A quick bit of film shot for my grandsons to see the new engine, poor video but added below for the record.

Edited by john new
Added the video now it is on YouTube.
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

More notes here on running and testing my new Hattons Class 66 on the layout today. 

6th April Edit: Subsequent testing narrowed it down to one point in one direction - probably prime cause a track fault - point tweak has fixed with no mod needed to loco.

Edited by john new

• RMweb Gold
On 01/04/2020 at 17:27, john new said:

and a follow up post yesterday showing the interim fix for the derailing issue. 

The second post regarding running the Hattons 66 on this layout.

6th April Edit: Subsequent testing narrowed it down to one point in one direction - probably prime cause a track fault - point tweak has fixed with no mod needed to loco.

Edited by john new
Update on cause of problem.

• RMweb Gold

I actually got some proper modelling done today.

In view of the derailment issues the new 66 was experiencing on this layout I ran a model version of a RAIB investigation, and identified two spots where the 66 came off regularly, my only loco to do so. After this track examination I applied a bodge solution that worked and therefore reported that on the 66 thread. For the record both problem sites have been fixed today and my 66 runs through them. 

The fixes were, spot one, a new check rail replacing the card bodge and at spot two some very minor track realignment (half to 1mm at most). This track misalignment issue was between the LH and Y points near the bridge site. There was a slight kink, unpinning and making a very minor track slew towards the layout front of around a millimetre at max, seems to have fixed this problem. Although the loco now runs through all the turnouts without derailing the various clunks and clonks as it does so suggest the Hattons 66 does need good track with fine flange-ways etc., my proprietary sharp radius track is a bit too crude for it.

The first fix required some point butchery. The photos probably explain it better than words but here goes. . I first cut and formed a spare piece of rail before soldering on two lengths of heavy duty copper rod stripped from some scrap power cable.

Setting up for soldering.jpg

On the point base I cut off the check rail and chopped out a section of the sleepers but, for structural integrity, not the under rail web. I then drilled two 1.5mm holes to take what are now the new check rail fixing pins.

Drilling the holes and completed part.jpg

Once the rail was in place I found it needed some adjustment fettling to ensure good running but it is now in place, and the point motors also attached. These were bought ages ago but what with one thing and other until today not fitted. They still need to be wired up. 

The lower image shows what will be the small stabling area/fiddle yard. The unfinished spur has been added simply to future proof a possible extension;  northwards in model location terms i.e..out to the BR Foss Islands branch.

Fixed point etc finished.jpg

Fiddle yard entry.jpg

Edited by john new
Photos replaced by me (5th July 2022).
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

With it being hot enough here in S W Dorset to be working outdoors today in T shirt and shorts a bit more prep on the layout. OK, arguably I should have been doing some indoor work for the SLS, and given it is work as a volunteer anyway, but a day off, won't make a great deal of difference.

Decision day - I have some old Triang and Triang-Hornby point switches, are they reliable enough to use a lever frame for this or stick with my tried and tested stud and probe? After some testing, decided I would prefer stud and probe. That settled on the design for the control panel, section switches for when running in DC mode (all set to on for DCC) with studs and switches on a panel diagram. This in fact confirming my initial thoughts from last year.

In line with the concept of using as much stuff as possible from previous projects, which was lucky too given lockdown, a garage raid identified enough bits for the panel to be made. One of the advantages of not throwing off-cuts out is the hardboard strip left over from making a theatre prop was exactly the right width and depth (length trimmed to fit) and the hinges are recycled off the control panel from The Classic Train Set.

Attack that lot with my typical  woodwork bodgery and the hinged panel plate is now in place with the paint drying ready for drilling in a day or so to fit the switches and studs. (See photos below) As a bonus I have allowed for a small visibility slot between the panel and the front fascia so that when operating from the front it is just possible to see where the loco is in the nearest siding/headshunt.

ABEC1020-3E7D-4B45-A3CB-EED2DF4DDC38_1_105_c.jpeg

Above adding an extra bit of framing for the hinge mounts

B542FD11-4D20-42DB-B7E8-01FE693ED150_1_105_c.jpeg.4063e6da337c7821f921995bc9749e7c.jpeg

Panel attached, (a) a double check that the size was correct for the mimic design and (b) deciding if I wanted a white or black background. 

E3014D92-7383-4E2F-B63A-E8810C302C07_1_105_c.jpeg

Black option selected and paint drying in the sun.

EDIT 18 Nov 2022 - the originally cropped & sized versions replaced by the originals.

B542FD11-4D20-42DB-B7E8-01FE693ED150_1_105_c.jpeg

Edited by john new
Photo(s) found and/or replaced post crash.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Some more work on finishing off the control panel today. Nothing much to add to yesterday as it was just adding a coat of black paint, drilling holes for the switches and then another coat of black paint to tidy up the drilling marks. The mimic diagram also spray mount fitted, that is now drying overnight ready for covering with clear plastic film tomorrow.

The most unexpected finding, a shower of rain threatened around lunch time and I discovered our Hippo Bag makes an instant cover. Luckily it didn't rain. 

57F48A1E-C4EC-4641-9C4B-B998B3B1A7C1_1_105_c.jpeg.ed66910db12f93843f80d1d5685f3556.jpeg

Edit 18 Nov 22 - original image replaces the cropped one lost in the crash.

Edited by john new
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

More progress today, the switches and studs are all in, ready for wiring. Since the photos below were taken I added a PECO probe and ran the AC link up from the CDU onto the panel. This afternoon's final task was wiring in the first point motor and testing that the system was working OK. Nothing fancy for the studs, simply brass coated paper fasteners pushed through and opened out on the inside as solder tags.

B5E67131-4AD4-4941-B3A6-0EE8CE99B1A2_1_105_c.jpeg.765dc668c2034a96be86e711e8db50d7.jpeg

EA119CAB-A194-47ED-A01F-ADDEBFC67A82_1_105_c.jpeg.b1ccaaf5f22feab9282f56fb464a762e.jpeg

Edited 18 Nov 2022

(1) ; the scruffy wiring was temporary. The finished runs were bundled using coloured drinking straws for trunking to keep the run going through the fuse board separated and identifiable as the out and back links. The final leads were bolt clamped into place.

(2) Cropped photo versions lost in the crash, my originals reloaded.

Edited by john new
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Link to my own website blog post in the first entry of this thread found to be corrupted, fixed today.

Also the links below  posted so that I can find them again as possible future projects to use here. Link to notes on

1) Phil P's blog entry on the Underground Ernie coach chassis

2) A blog post about the Ernie loco and Matchbox Diesel shunter body.

Edited by john new
To make better sense.

• RMweb Gold

234409236_PMsandtimberingIMG_0737.jpg.af5733a0559f38372d36405b0e8cb129.jpg1369252759_PointwiringsmallerIMG_0738.jpg.80c8c241939cb3be99dbec4a6fe12183.jpgUseful morning's work completed. The other four point motors are now wired in and working.

Also the first step done in adding the timber walkways where the dummy point levers will be fitted when I get round to bending them up from copper wire. The timbering is also a practical solution to the problem of the PECO motor extension arm bouncing off. The thicker version of a coffee stirrer is just the right height such that another length glued over it at 90deg gives enough clearance for operation but not enough slop for the arm to ride up and over the pimple on the point. 

Now time to stop procrastinating and get back to home working on editing the next issue of the SLS Journal.

Edited by john new
Photo(s) found and replaced post crash.
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Annoyingly the left hand point motor in the photo above seems to have shifted during the fixing process and is now about half to one mill out. I have noticed that the blade throw to the curve is not quite banging over 100%. Next time the layout is out for working on a bit of fettling needed. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 03/05/2020 at 14:29, john new said:

Annoyingly the left hand point motor in the photo above seems to have shifted during the fixing process and is now about half to one mill out. I have noticed that the blade throw to the curve is not quite banging over 100%. Next time the layout is out for working on a bit of fettling needed. 

What seems more likely looking at it again today is that the pimple on a Hornby point is smaller than that on a PECO one. Will need to look at shimming the hole.

• RMweb Gold
On 02/05/2020 at 14:53, john new said:

Useful morning's work completed. The other four point motors are now wired in and working.

Also the first step done in adding the timber walkways where the dummy point levers will be fitted when I get round to bending them up from copper wire. The timbering is also a practical solution to the problem of the PECO motor extension arm bouncing off. The thicker version of a coffee stirrer is just the right height such that another length glued over it at 90deg gives enough clearance for operation but not enough slop for the arm to ride up and over the pimple on the point. 

PMs and timbering IMG_0737.jpg

Point wiring smaller IMG_0738.jpg

Now time to stop procrastinating and get back to home working on editing the next issue of the SLS Journal.

With the indoor issues for the SLS completed another day outdoors working on the layout today. The section wiring now split from the jury rigged all on scenario and being attached to the individual switches on the panel for the DC operations. About 75% complete, should finish it in the next session with a bit of luck.

• RMweb Gold

Another day with only one book order to mail out for the SLS so the wiring for this is finally completed. All now tested on DC and DCC (all sections set to on). Even got some gardening done today ready for the garden waste collection day tomorrow.

I admire the people who can get a reasonably big, new, layout built very quickly.  18 months taken on this already and it is only a small layout, just never seem to have enough time in one slot to know I will be able to get everything out, do some work on the layout and then get it packed away again. 

Edited by john new

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Unfortunately for work on this project after reading the Lockdown Garden railway thread and posting that I would see what timber I had stored I did pull all the stored timber out of the shed. The result was a sidetracking project for a raised deck to see over a high wall and gain our sea view. A bit still to do to fit the safety rails but the weather has broken.

FD248BEF-54E1-4E1D-A4FD-E546731A04CF_1_105_c.jpeg.9939d384392203e417d606090d396b2f.jpeg

Edited by john new
Photo(s) found and replaced post crash.