Phoenix Yard (Including related builds and stock mods etc.)

• RMweb Gold

We christened the in-use decking this evening with Prosecco. more to do on it but now in use.

C56995F6-A358-4B48-BE89-869CC21D552C_1_105_c.jpeg

However, that is a digression, the purpose of tonight’s post is to show my rough draft mock up completed for the south end buildings. Whether, enough will get done for Sunday’s brick stairs build deadline is a debatable  question but it has at least got the buildings started.

42836802-1A6B-481D-8E4E-11B6217EBDC3_1_105_c.jpegFor the record. This would be the south end of the layout (hence the angle of the north light roof ridges on the factory, but I needed to use the daylight and avoid shadows. It is of course, by default, therefore totally un-prototypical lighting for this north facing wall.

Where the white block is will be a back scene image of a road. I may never extend through that arch but keeping my options open for a future extension which would run to Foss Basin and/or the former Redfearn's glass bottle factory.

Edited by john new
Photo(s) found and replaced post crash.
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

After some further thought on the 3D mock-up from yesterday I don't think the added steps work there after all. The original concept that was in my head had a big sliding door for the loading platform which the steps blocked. A design using the steps from Trellissick, the Red Tower from York, and a boarded up window from the Admiralty Engine House here on Portland knocked up this afternoon in Photoshop. Image of it as a low-relief option below; however, more likely to be placed as a full 3D model as the blocker for the two point motors nearest the fiddle yard. The steps leading down into a small walled garden rather like the one at the Merchant Adventurers Hall as accessed from Piccadilly in York. 

F3B6E546-FA2F-4351-822A-BDFFF9556364_1_105_c.jpeg

Edited by john new
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

This build will not be done by Sunday but I have made progress today, which would have got a bit further if it hadn't rained. I couldn't therefore use my jig-saw to cut the plywood outdoors. The images below show the 

I drafted a sub-base on card ready for cutting out in plywood and a sheet with the outline of the building mock-up. The mock up needs to be transferred to blank card for making the actual building. Where the removable section needs to be fitted it will be raised with extra plywood spacer strips below and then bolted through from below using bolts into captive nuts. (See later posts for the finished removable base)

Edited by john new
The loaded photos were not displaying so post reworded.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The plywood is now cut and mounted, both for the permanent spacing layer and the dismountable upper layer that will carry the scenery and buildings.  Also double checked against the draft drawing for the building (steps height and length) and all seems to be as anticipated. It is not that the top layer is anticipated to need to come off regularly but it has to be removable in case of future point motor issues.

2975F2C1-83A6-46FA-B87E-55CA649E76F5_1_105_c.jpeg.ea7adcdd38a811739dc67c4c9ae2a052.jpeg

B9609021-68D3-40A6-B8B5-5230F029D4BE_1_105_c.jpeg.90e164985ab61b6fea9be5e7638ca38e.jpeg

Now officially bored as I wait for the  black paint to dry, unfortunately it is some rubbish quality stuff that despite stating it is one-coat for any surface always seems to need several!

The paint was added after the photos were taken as were two plywood blocks for the tee-nuts to sit in. The final job on Saturday to be completed was drilling bolt holes  for the removable layer. Unfortunately the last few tee-nuts I thought I had left from the pack bought for fixing on the backboard have been used up. I forgot I had used them for an end stop board. The nearest Screwfix depot has them in stock so a trip across there, hopefully tomorrow, to get some more.*

* One was subsequently found as it had been put away in the wrong box but I needed two for this job so a Screwfix trip was duly completed on Sunday.

EDIT 18 Nov 2022 - originally cropped images mislaid, the larger originals loaded instead.

Edited by john new
Photo(s) found and/or replaced post crash.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

After bringing the removable section indoors to measure up and assess I have settled on 6ft for the width of the stairway as two people would need to pass in the layout setting I envisage. That gives the need for an extra 11mm at the front due to the angle of the roadway it is to abut to. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Sadly the steps in my final result disappointed me but I did enjoy doing it so here are some notes and photos. They are added as much as anything as diary entry type reminder to me of what I did and why.

Step 1) A draft for the building, the first idea I dropped but idea two for the other end of the layout, merging elements of three buildings, looked like it might work. As for the use it could be a Nunnery, York has(had?) at least two and the Monastery of the Poor Claires was nearby the fictitious location for the layout. (For images see the earlier posts above)

Step 2) To finally get around to building the necessary removable plate (See earlier post). 

664C8B00-FEDB-4154-907E-7A6AE2178DCF_1_105_c.jpeg.fda558010ee3b60e94cfa8d4e1eea34d.jpeg

This aspect was successfully achieved so the challenge has been beneficial due to completion of this aspect. It bolts up from the bottom and is held in place by captive Tee Nuts.

Step 3) Construct the steps.

8A5406BB-787D-470F-9B3B-86274F84B251_1_105_c.jpeg.9e2d67ffad9f4bb36c7e13202986c720.jpeg

The first go using card failed, too flexible and although the card was the right thickness (2mm so approx two bricks high) it was also making the flight have too many steps. (Problem with my straightening out the design and then adding the second floor.) The issue was not the resultant number of steps but that it was increasing the going, or length, of the flight. I think each step was being given too much tread length. End result - scrap and restart, remember the problem for a future build.

Step 4) Have a second go using foam board and a card facing for the brickwork.

8DA9AB7D-6C8D-4FC7-BAE4-F574F4DBB81F_1_105_c.jpeg.901c333018af43474bdb5e9c7859b729.jpeg

It sort of worked BUT highlighted the steps height problem – each step by using foam board has a riser twice as high as it should be for 4mm.

371D9ABD-DB95-4AF4-A0B3-299FE431360C_1_105_c.jpeg.3d67cceae4d578cc945520b9ac25f3f3.jpeg

50E609EF-5865-40A7-89A3-AF07538BEB0F_1_105_c.jpeg.ec39bb40b4353dcee307fc651ac14a12.jpeg

Also if I was doing it again I would make the steps from some square section balsa (or similar) as I forgot to allow for the end of each stair protruding into the brickwork. I used a quick version of the Pendon technique of scoring the brickwork into card and then painting. In the several years since I last tried this I have lost the knack, but I did enjoy it and will do a few more test pieces. For any future build I would need to (a) better research bond styles and (b) work out some form of embossing measuring jig for the horizontals at only 1/1.5mm apart!

195E3D49-DEA1-442B-A4BF-E902C1277D8B_1_105_c.jpeg.eb07ea15989e64015070e5912c40020a.jpeg

As I realised it was not going to be fully finished for the RMWeb/BRM deadline I experimented with a tissue paper and PVA overlay to simulate worn rock hewn steps (Something I might well use in the future). It needs more work on the technique, doing a pair of steps at a time, but the experiment has broadly worked.

E4C39483-958B-4336-8D00-5E2C20D1EB88_1_105_c.jpeg.576936638662c894ab72f61cdc204e30.jpeg

I also got the colour balance wrong when painting, too much red in the watercolour mix, again using the colours in this way also something I am out of practice with. I also need a new boxed set of watercolour paints as this set must be over 20 years old now! Finally it needs some filler.

Step 5) Build the guard rail - I ran out of time – I planned to file an angle into the head of a few brass panel pins, solder those to a strip of copper wire, suitably bent to shape, and then superglue the pins into the steps so as to form the uprights for the rail.

Summary, a very interesting challenge, one key layout milestone completed (the base plate). several lessons learnt, and a reminder of techniques I need to revisit as my skills have got very, very, ring-rusty. A version of this building, or something similar, may well get added at that end of the layout as the view blocker but with a different design to the steps. It is also likely to be at 90deg to the original placing.

Edited by john new
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Although today's running was not on the actual layout I have bought the Bachmann Whiskies Galore set as all relevant stock for the layout (A sound fitted Class 20, three grain wagons and a brake-van) plus an EZ DCC controller to use on the temporary track set up. Herewith a video of that under test out on the garden table this morning, no room for an oval indoors.

Although the Hattons 66 will not appear regularly on Phoenix Yard (In reality the connecting lines were closed and lifted before the Cl 66s were built) it may occasionally appear using Rule 1/modellers licence as justification. The very brief video of the 66 is also from this morning.

NB As a reminder to me, to embed as a playable video post the link as shown in the share box NOT the URL copied from the YouTube page header.

Edited by john new
Videos now added rather than links.

• RMweb Gold

Sadly the set of EWS Turbot ballast wagons bought to go behind my Class 66, and make occasional forays into Phoenix Yard I have now discovered would be a period incorrect pairing. The livery on my 66 is 2009 and onwards, sadly although they look modern the wagons would have been withdrawn by then. See https://www.ltsv.com/w_profile_005.php for more details; additionally, given the bespoke nature of the traffic flow they were used for, their appearance in York also very unlikely.

Rule one will apply but the reality of finding this inconsistency, due to most of my rolling stock knowledge covering earlier time periods, is disappointing. I had seen a photo of this 66 on a ballast train, and the wagons looked similar, but clearly what ever specific type they were they weren’t Turbots.

Edited by john new
To make better sense.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The family are coming to stay for a few days now that some extension of the social bubbles seems to be allowed so the hobby rooms have to revert back to being bedrooms.

Sadly that has meant no modelling done recently but a lot of layout related work all the same as the layout, and all the other railway and modelling items that normally live in the two spare bedrooms for convenience of access have had to be moved to temporary alternative, and far less convenient, storage.

Edited by john new

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 18/08/2020 at 20:17, john new said:

The family are coming to stay for a few days now that some extension of the social bubbles seems to be allowed so the hobby rooms have to revert back to being bedrooms.

Sadly that has meant no modelling done recently but a lot of layout related work all the same as the layout, and all the other railway and modelling items that normally live in the two spare bedrooms for convenience of access have had to be moved to temporary alternative, and far less convenient, storage.

Unfortunately little progress since the August update as too many other things intruded.

The first family visit did take place, but threats of the latest lockdown stopped the second of the two family visits coming over half-term. The result is that I have brought the stored stuff back in from the garage although the stored items are rather randomly packed. The next step, get some order into the packing boxes and then I am intending to get some modelling and running done again between the bursts of my SLS editing work, time will tell what gets done.

Edited by john new
Typo corrected.

• RMweb Gold

So with half-term gone, and no family visitors now able to visit us to stop-over until at least after Christmas due to the lockdown and their work and school commitments the layout has been put-up squeezed in alongside the bed in one of our spare bedrooms. There was also just room for my workmate to be set-up in the alcove left by the bunk beds in the other one so some kits and other modelling may well get done too. Some test running with the Bachmann Class 20 earlier today identified:-

• despite adding droppers to most rails one length got missed and the single fishplate is not allowing current through (the other end of that length is an isolating gap!) New dropper needed.
  • The opposite check rail on the point I had to adjust back in April  also appears to be causing derailments when I run the grain wagons through. The gap to be checked for obstructions and the vehicles involved for their back-to-back dimensions. (Found to be that the b-2-b was out)
  • Tension lock couplings are unreliable on curves, but then so too are Kadees apparently.

Edited by john new
Result of testing added

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, john new said:

So with half-term gone, and no family visitors now able to visit us to stop-over until at least after Christmas due to the lockdown and their work and school commitments the layout has been put-up squeezed in alongside the bed in one of our spare bedrooms. There was also just room for my workmate to be set-up in the alcove left by the bunk beds in the other one so some kits and other modelling may well get done too. Some test running with the Bachmann Class 20 earlier today identified:-

• despite adding droppers to most rails one length got missed and the single fishplate is not allowing current through (the other end of that length is an isolating gap!) New dropper needed.
  • The opposite check rail on the point I had to adjust back in April  also appears to be causing derailments when I run the Bachmann grain wagons through. The gap to be checked for obstructions and the vehicles involved for their back-to-back dimensions.
  • Tension lock couplings are unreliable on curves, but then so too are Kadees apparently.

More test running today, and am still attempting to get to the cause of the wagon derailments as they are (a) sporadic and (b) inconsistent as to the misbehaving vehicle and mixture of coupling types. The only consistency appears to be the older, larger looped, coupling types seem to do it less often. It may be a case that this layout gets extra check-rails and is then modelled with the rails concreted in.  

Also ran the DCC fitted Sentinel diesel for the first time, it runs nicely but ideally I need to change the chip over to one with a stay alive built in.

• RMweb Gold

Having found an old PECO wagon chassis in the scrap box (but minus the body sides) a quick bit of digital artwork today on what will hopefully end up with a lockdown wagon project completed. Not yet scaled to the correct dimensions to fit the chassis but a good start. It will not be a fully correct version of the first batch of four-plank wagons the DVLR bought and which were used at the opening ceremony of the DVLR. Will however, be a near enough for me 'lookie likey' based on the photographs of the opening day. It will be a self-made card kit with various layers of strapping etc., added as overlays.

Today's Rails/Locomotion announcement will also hit the wallet for next year, of course I have to have a Hardwicke having seen and photographed it running on the DVLR back in the day.*

1389028317_NERDVLRfourplankwagonwebsize.jpg.5c6f13fc2cb88e42b8f54791085ab552.jpg

* temptation too great, bought and paid for - now just the wait for arrival next year.

Edited by john new
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

I have now re-found the old PECO chassis, removed the old cardboard base and cleaned off the old patches of Seccotine.  I have now run off a print on paper of what will be the card sides as a test fit. The test fit shows I have scaled the drawing correctly to the chassis.

One last job to do before beginning to cut card and work towards a finished vehicle, find a spare buffer unit; I am pretty sure I have one somewhere but within which bits box is a ......?

30DEA800-C394-43CA-A0CE-1C8FE38E3E59_1_105_c.jpeg.00c53bafcad1ef901d9384a7946d0561.jpeg

Edit 18 Nov 2022 - project delayed but not abandoned.

Edited by john new

• RMweb Gold

After a longish Zoom meeting this afternoon, coincidentally about setting up then fine tuning details about running on-line SLS zoom meetings for members, I needed something quick and easy as a break*. 

A few days ago I scanned the VAT69 barge-board logo from my Bachmann Grain wagon as I had a Hornby/Lima one sans overlay sticker. A little bit of tweaking for size in Photoshop and the plain one now has the logo boards ready for a bit of light weathering. Before and after shots below, with apologies to anyone with OCD that I forgot to get the wagon lined up with the cutting mat stripes! Laser printed so hopefully no problems with any ink running when I do the overlay weathering washes. Whether by accident or design the Bachman Vat 69 is wagon 5819 (proven accurate by a prototype photo) and the Hornby version was 5820 (I have not yet tracked down photo provenance for this combo).

B41FDADC-7257-4629-8714-B48D5F08703E_1_105_c.jpeg.8c8b29311cfc01f74d5e95239630529b.jpeg

A4FFE95A-970F-48D5-A597-7AA98388B056_1_105_c.jpeg.affb7455317c5f34248f58070530e5eb.jpeg

*For any members reading this - subject to the last few minor details you should soon get an email advising the date of the first one (expected to be the evening of 3rd Dec).

Edited by john new

• RMweb Gold

Mixed progress on the PECO wagon updates; the headstock(?) changed over OK and the old couplings removed. Some modifications made to the moulding to allow new tension locks to be fitted, but further work needed and I need to buy some very small self tapping screws.

Unfortunately, something went wrong with my attempted weathering job on the VAT69 wagon (recoverable I think) using a technique I haven’t used for ages. and also on a 16T mineral. The latter I am going to scrub right back to basic and start again as my experimenting piece.

I did take some photos but will add them later, when the wagon is finished and I have established what went wrong in the weathering job.

I have also realised the BRT transfers are missing from the VAT69 wagon, this time though I won’t use the blue Sharpie on the edges as it spread too far into the paper.

Edited by john new
Spotted a spelling mistake.

• RMweb Gold

Link to Capt Kernow’s ballast method. Added so I can find it again when I eventually get around to doing the ballasting on here  The post is 45 in Gordon’s thread.

• RMweb Gold
On 18/11/2020 at 20:04, john new said:

After a longish Zoom meeting this afternoon, coincidentally about setting up then fine tuning details about running on-line SLS zoom meetings for members, I needed something quick and easy as a break*. A few days ago I scanned the VAT69 barge-board logo from my Bachmann Grain wagon as I had a Hornby/Lima one sans overlay sticker. A little bit of tweaking for size in Photoshop and the plain one now has the logo boards ready for a bit of light weathering. Before and after shots below, with apologies to anyone with OCD that I forgot to get the wagon lined up with the cutting mat stripes! Laser printed so hopefully no problems with any ink running when I do the overlay weathering washes. Whether by accident or design the Bachman Vat 69 is wagon 5819 (proven accurate by a prototype photo) and the Hornby version was 5820 (I have not yet tracked down photo provenance for this combo).

B41FDADC-7257-4629-8714-B48D5F08703E_1_105_c.jpeg.5fb346e50b1eecacf43a926f7133ade2.jpeg

A4FFE95A-970F-48D5-A597-7AA98388B056_1_105_c.jpeg.9326c44f15030b909f92a25fdbf68595.jpeg

*For any members reading this - subject to the last few minor details you should soon get an email advising the date of the first one (expected to be the evening of 3rd Dec).

Following on from the above and the discussion on @Signaller69's excellent Derwent Valley thread about the BRT logo on a filthy VAT69 wagon I took a break this afternoon and did some weathering. First step add the missing BRT logos (Scanned from another wagon then laser printed onto paper) then some dirtying. I am not 100% satisfied with it, and still got more work to do on the ends, but a good start. I am bit rusty on a technique I first used possibly 25 years ago and have got ring rusty on - 50% PVA water as the carrier medium plus standard watercolours. 

IMG_1591 sized for web.jpg

B41FDADC-7257-4629-8714-B48D5F08703E_1_105_c.jpeg

Edited by john new
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 15/11/2020 at 16:49, john new said:

I have now re-found the old PECO chassis, removed the old cardboard base and cleaned off the old patches of Seccotine.  I have now run off a print on paper of what will be the card sides as a test fit. The test fit shows I have scaled the drawing correctly to the chassis.

One last job to do before beginning to cut card and work towards a finished vehicle, find a spare buffer unit; I am pretty sure I have one somewhere but within which bits box is a ......?

30DEA800-C394-43CA-A0CE-1C8FE38E3E59_1_105_c.jpeg.7aab2a79cf0d5f03a33a9c7db6f36a6c.jpeg

Luckily I spotted the error in the outline drawing of the prototype wagon I was using before I started the bodywork build. I should have spotted the that the ends were not correct as the centre line of the buffers was out by around a millimetre and not set at the same centre line as on the side elevation! Work progressing on rectifying the error ready for a bit more work on it after the sidetrack work re-transferring and weathering the grain wagon.

Edited by john new

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A temporary change from the end to end - with the dining table opened out ready for tomorrow a bit of Christmas Eve frivolity with last year’s HobbyCraft January sale bargain. £15 down from £50  was not to be sniffed at. Hopefully, as off duty for the SLS for a couple of days, I will have time to add some ‘Magic Rounabout/cartoon style, scenery.

Edited by john new
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

With the missus out all day working on the Weymouth Pavilion Panto, (one of the only four professional one’s running in the country - Weymouth, Wimborne, Plymouth and Liverpool)  a day working on the layout and stock.

First up - the missing feed wire dropper to the rear siding added, I had drilled the hole for it, just not added the wire so that section  is no longer prone to loss of continuity through the fishplate.

Secondly - A control panel switch had obviously had the soldering iron on too long, I thought the wire had simply come unsoldered, but no, the wire was still soldered onto the tag, the tag had fallen off! Switch completely replaced. Memo to self next time revert to the big chunky Halfords car panel type as I have previously used. The solder spade is a slide on fit to the tag.

Outcome the layout now running properly.

Third -  a dabble with fitting sprung PECO uncoupling ramps - not successful, the home made clear plastic type will be the next attempt.

Finally - find where I put the spare pick up parts from Pete’s Spares I bought a while back for the Hornby Caley Pug but didn’t get around to fitting. It has been stuck in the get a round to it sometime box for conversion to a GN15 loco and so hasn’t run for about 20 years! I decided to try to get that going again as a OO runner. Spares found, motor checked as Ok, and the fiddly parts finally in. Sadly the tiny little motor support fixing screw that comes through from underneath is missing, which I hadn’t noticed was lost so didn’t order replacements when I’d ordered the pick-up parts. Without it the gears don’t stay meshed. Progress but not yet a completed job.

Edited by john new
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 29/12/2020 at 23:51, john new said:

Today's activity was posted on the Fitting DCC to a Hornby 0-4-0 thread. Progress on putting the loco through the works but as yet not a fully satisfactory outcome.

Limited progress.

Since the above post there has been a further update on the DCC Hornby 0-4-0 project thread (still not completed). Nothing much done on the layout but I have done some additional wagon weathering. Also on the rolling stock front I bought some more stock (Bachman Whisky set), the Class 20 and b/van run ok but the B2b on the 3 grain wagons is out. Another job on the roundtuit list.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

After a period working from home prioritising the SLS Journal and Annual Report, (who thinks ending paid work ends your employment!) I am hoping to get back to modelling this week. Slightly side tracked by bargains on locos I saw regularly as a child as I couldn’t resist 30064 and 30096. Although my priority long-term remains a DVLR setting when the buildings and back-scene finally get added I may have to be a little vaguer as with these two purchases a south Hampshire setting is suggested. 

This DVLR delay has not been helped by pre-orders for the Jim DVLR shunter (Hornby), the BR Liveried ex-NER P3 (Oxford) and the ex-NER G5 tank (TMC) all being delayed. I have also pre-ordered Hardwicke (NRM/Rails) and the Rowntrees shunter (Hornby).  

Edited by john new
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 29/12/2020 at 23:51, john new said:

Today's activity was posted on the Fitting DCC to a Hornby 0-4-0 thread. Progress on putting the loco through the works but as yet not a fully satisfactory outcome.

Got back to this one today. As posted in the other thread it now runs on DC & DCC although more tweaking is needed.

Edited by john new