Private Owner Coal Wagon 'Adams & Son Southsea'

Hi

this is perhaps a forlorn request.........I am trying to track down the issue of the Model Railway Constructor that apparently included a sketch by ‘Four-Five-Three’ showing coal wagon No. 18 belonging to ADAMS & SON SOUTHSEA (Seven plank, 10-tons with side doors only). Does this ring a bell with anyone? Can anyone suggest how I might track this drawing down?

Thanks

Andrew

Skinnylinny - Thanks for that website, I've not seen it before, but I think the reference is wrong.  S A Leleux - Index of Railway Model Drawings - has Adams & Son - Southsea as (rather unhelpfully) Page 250 of the 1958 volume of Model Railway Constructor, which was the magazine that Four-Five-Three used to contribute to.  Leleux also lists another Adams & Son - Hornchurch with the MRN reference. The Four-Five-Three drawings, I believe, formed the basis of the A G Thomas Modellers' Sketchbook of PO Wagons, and Adams appears in volume 2 of that trilogy.  Lightmoor Press has a very useful index of PO wgons in books, and this, unfortunately, for the moment, is the only entry for this company. I believe Simon Turner is working on the PO wagons on the LBSC for Lightmoor to publish in company with their other regional PO offerings, although I have no idea how this is progressing, but, knowing Simon and his work, it will be worth the wait.

post-189-0-87215400-1547534977.png

To save you hunting, this is the entry in the sketchbook, and I suspect that the MRC piece had little, if any more, information, as he was taking notes from the actual wagon itself, and not carrying out the background research that modern authors do. Edit  I have just noted that this wagon is slightly different from the details given above, I'll have to see if I can find the original MRC piece to check the details.

Edited by Nick Holliday

Skinnylinny - Thanks for that website, I've not seen it before, but I think the reference is wrong.  S A Leleux - Index of Railway Model Drawings - has Adams & Son - Southsea as (rather unhelpfully) Page 250 of the 1958 volume of Model Railway Constructor, which was the magazine that Four-Five-Three used to contribute to.  Leleux also lists another Adams & Son - Hornchurch with the MRN reference. The Four-Five-Three drawings, I believe, formed the basis of the A G Thomas Modellers' Sketchbook of PO Wagons, and Adams appears in volume 2 of that trilogy.  Lightmoor Press has a very useful index of PO wgons in books, and this, unfortunately, for the moment, is the only entry for this company. I believe Simon Turner is working on the PO wagons on the LBSC for Lightmoor to publish in company with their other regional PO offerings, although I have no idea how this is progressing, but, knowing Simon and his work, it will be worth the wait.

attachicon.gifadams.png

To save you hunting, this is the entry in the sketchbook, and I suspect that the MRC piece had little, if any more, information, as he was taking notes from the actual wagon itself, and not carrying out the background research that modern authors do. Edit  I have just noted that this wagon is slightly different from the details given above, I'll have to see if I can find the original MRC piece to check the details.

attachicon.gifadams.png

I did post last night but it seems to have disappeared into the ether!  Yes Leleux is wrong - the sketch is on page 274 in the November 1958 MRC.  And it's a different wagon to No. 17 above so that's a bonus! ! see that 17 is a 7 plank with end door whereas the wagon in MRC is No. 18 which, as Andrew said, was a 6 plank with no end door, tare wt 5-17-0, (though the brief text describes it as 7 plank, which it patently isn't).  I can send a copy if you wish but it would have to be by snail mail as I can't persuade my printer to scan at the moment.

Chris KT

Hi SkinnyLinny, Nick and Chris

thanks for your posts. I'm not an experienced modeller or researcher or researcher so any help is much appreciated.

Thanks you for the .png Nick. 

Chris, if you could send me a copy of the drawing you have I would be very appreciative. My address is Andrew McPherson, 5 Widgeon Way, Hayle, TR27 6GQ.

Once again, thank you all.

Andrew

Hi SkinnyLinny, Nick and Chris

thanks for your posts. I'm not an experienced modeller or researcher or researcher so any help is much appreciated.

Thanks you for the .png Nick. 

Chris, if you could send me a copy of the drawing you have I would be very appreciative. My address is Andrew McPherson, 5 Widgeon Way, Hayle, TR27 6GQ.

Once again, thank you all.

Andrew

Hi Andrew

I'll post it tomorrow (Thursday).

Chris KT