GBRf repaints for 50007/049

i have seen on their facebook page GBRf are repainting 50007 and 50049 into GBRf livery, and no its not April 1st!

the computer images doesn't look too bad, and it is only a coat of paint after all. hopefully they'll stray to the GB Shed at Peterborough

That would be great to see them in this neck of the woods

50007 was trial on the Boston Docks Steels a few years ago - I've got a video somewhere.

• RMweb Premium

Well that is two different locos, and what has happened to the front end of 50007?

It didn't look like that last September.....

Dave

New metal welded in to the front end I believe. The dodgy yellow is tape!

Awful livery.

How about we repaint a few GWR locos into GBRf livery? What about Scotsman or Tornado - they’d look good in GBRf blue?

I am afraid that using branding to change heritage locos is a big nooooooo for me. I won’t be going out to see them now. Glad I had them both at the SVR.

• RMweb Gold

Both those photos appear to be of No.2 end, short gutter and cantrail grille beyond. One is caved in and has no orange squares, the other is OK and has the orange squares. Two different locos...

Dave

Same loco.

Judging by some of the comments already appearing on social media, opinion is split 50/50 (no pun intended) and some who have booked on that railtour expecting BR Blue fifties are furious!

This could get messy...

Is it too late to point out that 50034 was scrapped in 1991? !

cheers

• RMweb Gold

Awful livery.

How about we repaint a few GWR locos into GBRf livery? What about Scotsman or Tornado - they’d look good in GBRf blue?

I am afraid that using branding to change heritage locos is a big nooooooo for me. I won’t be going out to see them now. Glad I had them both at the SVR.

I’m up for tornado in GBRf livery!

Is don’t see an issue, It’s no different than the likes of DRS, Colas, europhoenix etc painting their 37s in corporate colours, they are ‘heritage’ locos but are also working machines out earning a living and an income for their owners

It’s a shame that a lick of paint on the side of a loco will prevent you going out to see them, what happens if they are working at the SVR on a day you plan to visit will you still visit or will it be......

088AF3E6-8D25-43D0-805B-AD4B2DC22CFF.jpg

• Like 1

The mock up on this thread looks ok to me. Quite suits the shape.

I can never understand getting worked up over a paint job. It's only paint, and at some future point they'll no doubt get another coat in a different colour. They'll still sound and go like 50s.

When I was deeply involved in diesel preservation, it seemed like "what colour will it be?" was a more important question to some people than "when will it be running". It just doesn't matter. Though saying that, I'd have quite liked to see a peak in ATSF Warbonnet, and the frothing that it would have generated would have been something to behold, too.

Edited by Zomboid

• RMweb Gold

I don't see why GBRf has to repaint them? They're not working for GBRf (except for one railtour) and it's not like they need a repaint....

Otherwise, excellent livery. Just be glad it isn't Freightliner orange!

They are going to be working for GBRf though, spot hire jobs, ecs moves etc

• RMweb Premium

It's paint - why does it matter?

Nobody complained about 20s or 73s in GBRF blue - or 60s.

73s and 47s in Caledonian.

20s in LT

There are many, many more examples.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

20s in LT

Cheers,

Mick

At least they didn't repaint a 50 into LoadHaul orange and black <doh!>

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Does GBRf work any moves like that?  I thought that market had more or less been taken over by ROG?

It’s an open market and they are in business to make money. Now they have a pair of locos suitable and not regularly engaged on existing contracts they will probably tender for for some stock moves against ROG.

• RMweb Premium

The lines are so blurred nowadays, that I don't even know what a 'heritage' or 'preserved' loco is any more. Stuff is replaced, or made redundant and sold on...be it to a preservation group, or another operator. Take the GBRf 60s...they are on (I believe) their fifth 'owner' (BR, EWS, DBS, Colas and now GBRf). Are they heritage, or is the term a throwback to BR days when stuff was withdrawn and subsequently scrapped or preserved. That binary fate no longer applies, redundant stock will more often than not pass to another operator.

A good number of locos spend their time between the main line and preserved lines...they are just another customer. For me, the livery suits them, and keeps them relevant.

Maybe a bit of a ramble, but I do feel a lot of the livery objections are based on an outdated view of what a 'preserved' locomotive is... something to be kept in aspic, and not a resource.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

20s in LT

Cheers,

Mick

Fancy a race to complete a repaint Mick? Ha.

My model is already waiting for paint.

• RMweb Gold

having a couple of extra locos based in the midlands is no bad thing incase any "heavy haulers" are needed elsewhere

i've snipped the info below from WNXX from the bloke who pretty much sorted the deal so people can see the reasoning/background behind the plan...........

GBRf, the Class 50 Alliance and the Severn Valley Railway have been industry friends for some time, more-so than just sending a loco to a diesel gala. There have been exchanges of knowledge, facilities and resources for the benefit of all parties, keeping costs down and maximising benefits for all. It is fair to say that this partnership has cultivated a number of personal long-term friendships too, but more than anything, there is a strong trust between the three parties.

For me, whilst not wishing to belittle the efforts of other preservation groups, the SVR and C50A have some real forward-thinking leadership which doesn’t just think about how they are going to pay for the coal for this summers steam service, but thinks about how it is developing the next generation of enthusiast, and how we might just keep these fine machines running for decades to come, and not just the next few years.

For GBRf, having easy access to the Severn Valley/Class 50 Alliance also allows other benefits too. The locos are genuinely useful 100mph ETH machines and the valley provides a relatively sterile environment for staff events, customer days, and all the other good things the business likes to do.

In 2018 my gaffer and I were invited to the Class Fifty Celebration weekend and went to the evening presentation about all things 50s at Kidderminster. During Gus Dunster’s speech about how some of the previous wacky liveries had come about, he explained that painting the locos was not just about appearance, but that the paint job, if done properly, also provides vital protection from the elements and preserves the loco for longer. Unfortunately though, it is expensive, and as Gus explained, if anyone wants to stump up the cash to paint one, it would allow the Alliance to spend their money on other things.

There was an immediate knowing nod between the gaffer and I, and it’s probably fair to say that the deal was 75% done before we even got home.

I can genuinely understand some views that it “isn’t authentic” but I think for all parties, this is hugely positive, it cements the relationship, it raises eyebrows, it gets people talking and passionate, and it helps fund other work.

And the reality is that they will at some point in the future return to authentic colours, but for now let’s celebrate that these locos clearly have a bright future.

I look forward to seeing them plying their trade for a long time to come.

Lastly, it’s interesting to see that GBRf’s Facebook post has (after just 6.5 hours) reached 16500 people. There have been 923 “reactions” to the post. Of those, 740 “likes”, 74 “wows”, 71 “loves”, 27 “hahas”, and just 8 “sads” and 5 “angrys”.

Fascinating.

now where has that marcus37 gone i need a refresh on class 1 working and a conversion course to class 50's doing!

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

having a couple of extra locos based in the midlands is no bad thing incase any "heavy haulers" are needed elsewhere

i've snipped the info below from WNXX from the bloke who pretty much sorted the deal so people can see the reasoning/background behind the plan...........

GBRf, the Class 50 Alliance and the Severn Valley Railway have been industry friends for some time, more-so than just sending a loco to a diesel gala. There have been exchanges of knowledge, facilities and resources for the benefit of all parties, keeping costs down and maximising benefits for all. It is fair to say that this partnership has cultivated a number of personal long-term friendships too, but more than anything, there is a strong trust between the three parties.

For me, whilst not wishing to belittle the efforts of other preservation groups, the SVR and C50A have some real forward-thinking leadership which doesn’t just think about how they are going to pay for the coal for this summers steam service, but thinks about how it is developing the next generation of enthusiast, and how we might just keep these fine machines running for decades to come, and not just the next few years.

For GBRf, having easy access to the Severn Valley/Class 50 Alliance also allows other benefits too. The locos are genuinely useful 100mph ETH machines and the valley provides a relatively sterile environment for staff events, customer days, and all the other good things the business likes to do.

In 2018 my gaffer and I were invited to the Class Fifty Celebration weekend and went to the evening presentation about all things 50s at Kidderminster. During Gus Dunster’s speech about how some of the previous wacky liveries had come about, he explained that painting the locos was not just about appearance, but that the paint job, if done properly, also provides vital protection from the elements and preserves the loco for longer. Unfortunately though, it is expensive, and as Gus explained, if anyone wants to stump up the cash to paint one, it would allow the Alliance to spend their money on other things.

There was an immediate knowing nod between the gaffer and I, and it’s probably fair to say that the deal was 75% done before we even got home.

I can genuinely understand some views that it “isn’t authentic” but I think for all parties, this is hugely positive, it cements the relationship, it raises eyebrows, it gets people talking and passionate, and it helps fund other work.

And the reality is that they will at some point in the future return to authentic colours, but for now let’s celebrate that these locos clearly have a bright future.

I look forward to seeing them plying their trade for a long time to come.

Lastly, it’s interesting to see that GBRf’s Facebook post has (after just 6.5 hours) reached 16500 people. There have been 923 “reactions” to the post. Of those, 740 “likes”, 74 “wows”, 71 “loves”, 27 “hahas”, and just 8 “sads” and 5 “angrys”.

Fascinating.

now where has that marcus37 gone i need a refresh on class 1 working and a conversion course to class 50's doing!

What do you call "authentic"?

If 50's had survived long enough to be taken over by GBRf at privatisation, they would have gone into GBRf livery. Would that not be "authentic"?

Who cares? It's a layer of paint on 100+ tonnes of metal.

• Like 2

Lets be pragmatic about this.

The locos will receive a proper paint job - with all the preparation, rubbing down (at which point any metalwork can be replaced), undercoats, top coats, and lacquer - that entails.

It seems that it is not costing the owners anything - so they can spend the money on the nuts and bolts.

A paint job will last longer than sticky vinyls, and the colours will match.

I quite like the variety that is emerging on the network now.

• Like 3

My view is despite the fact I don't like it I have no control over it so its not worth getting worked up about it.

It's up to the owners of the locos what livery they paint them. As long as it keeps them working and not languishing in some siding thats the important thing.