Dapol or Bachmann Class 66/221 Super Voyager?

• RMweb Gold

I've been quite tempted by 'N' gauge for a while now and have been keen to build a small layout.

One of the reason's I've been tempted is due to to the release of the Dapol/Kernow 153329 'St. Ives Bay Belle'. I know the Dapol 153 is highly regarded and this particular model would help in my chosen period of a contempory Cornish setting.

However, I want a Class 66 to run with some Peco CDA's as well. Just wondering what peoples views of the Bachmann/Dapol models are?

Also, Bachmann/Dapol do a XC Voyager. The Bachy version isn't DCC ready I believe? What's the Dapol version like?

Also Dapol do the 'Cargowagons' and are going to bring out the 'Silver Bullets' in N as well so could be an interesting little project.

Thanks.

Mark

• RMweb Premium

The Dapol Voyage is generally considered to have an inferior mechanism to the Farish one. I don't have either (out of period) so can't give a personal opinion on this though

• RMweb Gold

Hi Kris,

Thanks for that.

Used to live near Avonwick in North Huish. Many a good night in the Avonwick Inn and a beautiful setting for a model railway by the side of the Avon.

Also the fots of your layout look good.

Cheers.

Mark

The Farish Voyager is DCC ready and takes a 6 pin chip at each end. It's Bachmann's OO model that isn't. Dapol voyager needs 3 chips - 1 at each end for the lights and 1 in the centre which is the motorised car. No problems with my Farish one, smooth reliable running. Can't comment on the Dapol one.

HTH. :)

Farish Voyager has superior mechanism, quieter and faster running, better XC livery application (Virgin livery is equal on both), and requires less chips to convert to DCC (2).

Dapol Voyager has better coupling mechanism, ability to install DCC sound out of the box, easier body removal system (nose area in particular) and brighter lights.

Regards

I've got a Dapol 221 - I think it wins hands down visually. The original Dapol 220 mechanism was dire but the 221 has a much better drive mechanism. DCC does need three chips (or run wires) but there is enough room to wire the really cheap Hornby decoders to the end car lights so pricewise its not much different. Farish one does probably have the better mechanism but a poorer (IMHO) body.

For the 66 the Dapol one has the edge on the bodywork (eg wire mesh grilles). How the rest compares depends upon the version. The original (non DCC ready) Dapol one is quite noisy and a pig to DCC, it also has much poorer bogies than the Farish one. The later Dapol one has a DCC socket, vastly improved mechanism, and most of them also have their much improved bogies. The Farish one is a reasonably solid affair, but only has solder points for DCC and there have been a few problems with the first batches developing split gears and with motors going short circuit. Parts are available for both but its still annoying, especially as a motor short will sometimes blow the decoder as well.

The other factor is price - the Dapol ones seem on the whole to be a whole lot cheaper.

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Thanks to you both.

Some sound information there. The GF model is a bit cheaper as well.

One thing I didn't realise was the cost of '6 Pin' chips.

So does a GF 150 need 2 as well?

Cheers.

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Yes. Bachmann and Digitrax do cheapish 6-pin decoeers.

Thanks for the info Edwin.

Could get an Arriva Trains Wales as well on loan for the layout.

Cheers.

Archived