MEK Query

Hi All

I’ve acquired some second hand Skytrex O gauge TTA tanks, two of which have crap painting & weathering, so I’d like to remove it all back to Dove Grey and go again.

I’ve already tried painting on enamel thinners then white spirit, but nothing has been taken off, so I’m now looking at the nuclear option of MEK. As the tank bodies are resin I’m not certain what the MEK will do, so can anyone advise one way or another?

Cheers and regards

Mek will not effect the resin, but the best thing to do and use is to go to B&Q and buy some paint stripper and use that to remove the paint.

Thanks to sharris and yourself Pete. Not too familiar with qualities of resin, but I feel much more confident now!

Hi All

I’ve acquired some second hand Skytrex O gauge TTA tanks, two of which have crap painting & weathering, so I’d like to remove it all back to Dove Grey and go again.

I’ve already tried painting on enamel thinners then white spirit, but nothing has been taken off, so I’m now looking at the nuclear option of MEK. As the tank bodies are resin I’m not certain what the MEK will do, so can anyone advise one way or another?

Cheers and regards

Hi,

Modelstrip may do the job - I've never tried stripping paint off resin - just be careful when you type it into a search engine - maybe add paint stripper to the end of your search term. :no:

A mate has just bought a second hand O gauge bogie van and the paint was so thick the door frames had been filled in by the paint.

Regards

Nick

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Modelstrip may do the job - I've never tried stripping paint off resin - just be careful when you type it into a search engine - maybe add paint stripper to the end of your search term. :no:

A mate has just bought a second hand O gauge bogie van and the paint was so thick the door frames had been filled in by the paint.

Regards

Nick

Hi

Phoenix Precision SuperStrip certainly affects certain resin castings so I would be careful using ModelStrip. My son had success with one of the household cleaners stripping paint from Resin. I'll ask him what it was and update this post.

Edit: It was Fairy Power Spray.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by PaulCheffus

• RMweb Premium

Also beware of brake fluid.  I stripped a resin model - the varnish had suddenly decided to splatter rather than spray and even with quick action left marks on the paint.  Some of the finer bits of the moulding became soft and distorted.

A solution of sodium hydroxide , AKA caustic soda, will strip most paints. It is the usual ingredient in drain cleaner available from most hardware stores.  As it is dissolved in water to strip the paint, ie not organic solvent based, I would guess it has little effect on resin.  However I have never tested this so it would be best to try it out first on something that is of no importance.

If you do use this be very careful not to splash it in your eyes if you value your eyesight as it is very good for dissolving animal tissue.  You can also end up with very smooth fingers if not careful.  ie wear googles and gloves and wash off well from the model after stripping.

Hi all

After the initial replies suggesting paint stripper, I had a quick look in the garage and found some B&Q product that I’d previously used (but forgotten about) to strip back an old O scale Hillman Imp, to be ‘dumped’ in my BR driver’s car park.

Happy to report the paint stripper did a sterling job in removing the weathering/decals etc but did nothing to the resin body, so it lives to fight another day!

Thanks to all for the recommendations and suggestions!

Brgds

• Like 2