Skaledale Range - suggestions for new buildings

rovex

Hi Guys

I thought we could help Hornby out by suggesting suitable new subjects to be added to the Skaledale building range and that this would be a good place to post photos of our suggestions. 

We need to be sensible about this and consider whether a building is feasible. Issues which might mitigate against a building would be size (so please don't suggest KIngs Cross or St Pancras). We also need to consider whether a building can be moulded - so I expect that Southend Pier is out.

I've noticed in the past that many buildings seem to have a theme, for example when the range was first launched we had a range of generic station buildings (of a vaguely GWR styling), we've had the buildings from Goathland station and we've had a range of gasworks buildings

So again it may be useful to consider buildings that fit into a range or suggest groups of such buildings.

I'll start us off with some housing, shops, pubs and a town hall

So some Georgian terraced properties

post-7075-0-43614200-1547726711_thumb.jpg

post-7075-0-41195900-1547726723.jpg

some georgian shops

post-7075-0-94886100-1547726738.jpg

post-7075-0-17328400-1547726808.jpg

a novelty - Beverley gatehouse

post-7075-0-13619800-1547726757_thumb.jpg

Some Victorian Pubs

post-7075-0-18660100-1547726778_thumb.jpg

post-7075-0-15202700-1547726792.jpg

Durham townhall - would that tracery be possible?

post-7075-0-08600400-1547726820_thumb.jpg

and finally because I've always had a soft spot for these two and would buy them even if I didn't have a need for them.

Aston Rowant and Wallingford stations

post-7075-0-61588900-1547726993.jpg 

post-7075-0-06036100-1547727000.jpg

So come on over to you guys, we know Hornby reads this forum so lets give them our suggestions

Rovex

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

How about an update to their Model Land Factory from the 60s . I think RML65,66,67  Boiler House, Factory Unit, Loading Bay.   They could do resin versions of them. They could also do low relief versions for use as a backdrop . Nice little units in their time, now command quite high prices on eBay if you ever see them .

• Like 1

Some Victorian Pubs

attachicon.gifCravenArms02-990.jpg

Crikey!  What were the chances, I attended a launch event yesterday in the Sixties modular/ Brutalist three-storey office block on the opposite side of Upper Gough Street (off camera to the left) to that delightful juicer!

So while we're at it, I'll weigh in with a vote for the Model Land sets, as you can in theory fashion some pretty decent modular Sixties Brutalism from them!

• Like 1

How about an update to their Model Land Factory from the 60s . I think RML65,66,67  Boiler House, Factory Unit, Loading Bay.   They could do resin versions of them. They could also do low relief versions for use as a backdrop . Nice little units in their time, now command quite high prices on eBay if you ever see them .

That would be these presumably

post-7075-0-60615200-1547739467.jpg

• Like 2

You're right - I was thinking of Arkitex

Ark1.jpg

My goodness I'm going off topic already, but I'd been looking at those on ebay and wondering whether I could afford some. Not a fan of modern architecture but it does give that brave new world look.

• Like 1

My goodness I'm going off topic already, but I'd been looking at those on ebay and wondering whether I could afford some. Not a fan of modern architecture but it does give that brave new world look.

They're great looking but incredibly pricey.  Also, I'm never sure quite how intact and unspoiled the components are, despite what the descriptions might claim.

Also, if you use these to build permanent structures, the 'wobbliness' associated with freestanding (non-glued) structures can be assembled out, so to speak.

The eBay prices do make me think that Linka might be worth another look. 

• Like 3

GWR BLT themed station buildings would maybe be a popular staple? I know that these layouts were a cliche throughout the 1980s, but they are still seen, plus often act as an introduction into scenic model railways for inexperienced modellers, more the market that Skaledale is aimed at surely? I do accept however that many similar buildings are already readily available in kit form.

Perhaps a core range based on Ashburton or similar. Ashburton has an engine shed, which seem to find their way into most of these ranges in Skaledale and Scenecraft, even if the prototype didn't have a shed. Stone buildings suit resin casting quite well IMO.

I think really what I am trying to say is that I'd like to see a GWR train shed in OO! (Ratio make one in N but doesn't have a 4mm scale big brother).

Edited by Torn-on-the-platform
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

That arkitex set shown is the very rare set C with the shop windows

I have a lot of it but no shop windows

As for a suggestion for new buildings, low and full relief council houses in brick

That arkitex set shown is the very rare set C with the shop windows

I have a lot of it but no shop windows

As for a suggestion for new buildings, low and full relief council houses in brick

I see Burton’s clothes have branched out into car sales!

• Like 1

I see Burton’s clothes have branched out into car sales!

Actually, assuming the absence of any licencing issues for the logos etc. a 'proper' Burtons would make a nice addition for a low-relief High Street- from the early 30's they had an in-house Arcihtects Department, so their purpose-built shops had a very distinctive house style of architecture

https://buildingourpast.com/2017/01/28/burtons-modern-temples-of-commerce/

• RMweb Gold

I would love them to do a "classic" 1950s Woolworths.

I also wondered whether Hornby could team up with the National Trust - not all of their buildings are massive stately homes.

Here's one in arkitex still needs interior

post-9362-0-57067600-1548009974_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

not sure if this is just my perception but the range does feel as if it has shrunk in size and scale . The gas works was excellent , similarly the colliery (although whisper it quietly the scenecraft one was better) 

I for one would like to see suburban shops , maybe modular to create something from the 30's onwards . GWR 1908 station buildings - thinking North Warwicks line (shirley for example) GWR standard signal box as well would surely sell well . 

I'd also be keep to see standard industrial buildings , Northlight factory building for example 

I second the suggestion for council houses from the 1930's through to the 1960's, both brick and rendered. Manufacturers would have us believe that everyone near a railway line lived in a Victorian brick terrace, or a Georgian three or four floor town house.

• Like 1