Laser cut 2mm scale (1:152) sleepers

DavidLong

• RMweb Premium

I am hoping to find a new supplier of 2FS ply sleepers. My previous supply came from Chris Dening who ran CD3D Model Making but Chris has now withdrawn from the business.  I would require ordinary sleepers 1.7mm x 17mm and point timber strips 2mm wide.

I could supply the ply via 4D Model Shop which seems to have the most reliable supply of 0.8mm ply. Some other suppliers are somewhat cavalier over the exact thickness which is claimed to be 1/32" but is frequently well in excess. As I use 2mm Scale Association pcb strip in four locations per turnout it is important in this scale to keep the thickness' as close as possible.  I recently found some 1/32" basswood in Hobbycraft which I thought may be an alternative (1/32" = 0.79mm) but it turned out to be in excess of 0.9mm!

The main problem with cutting my own, which I have done, is in maintaining a consistent width, especially of the plain sleepers and Chris' laser cut versions completely solved this problem.

I have attached a couple of photos of track constructed using CD3D sleepering to show that it really is possible and results in very nice looking track.

post-9616-0-31371100-1547727883_thumb.jpg

post-9616-0-76627500-1547727964_thumb.jpg

David

Edited by DavidLong

• RMweb Premium

I am hoping to find a new supplier of 2FS ply sleepers. My previous supply came from Chris Marchant who ran CD3D Model Making but Chris has now withdrawn from the business.  I would require ordinary sleepers 1.7mm x 17mm and point timber strips 2mm wide.

I could supply the ply via 4D Model Shop which seems to have the most reliable supply of 0.8mm ply. Some other suppliers are somewhat cavalier over the exact thickness which is claimed to be 1/32" but is frequently well in excess. As I use 2mm Scale Association pcb strip in four locations per turnout it is important in this scale to keep the thickness' as close as possible.  I recently found some 1/32" basswood in Hobbycraft which I thought may be an alternative (1/32" = 0.79mm) but it turned out to be in excess of 0.9mm!

The main problem with cutting my own, which I have done, is in maintaining a consistent width, especially of the plain sleepers and Chris' laser cut versions completely solved this problem.

I have attached a couple of photos of track constructed using CD3D sleepering to show that it really is possible and results in very nice looking track.

attachicon.gif094.jpg

attachicon.gif095.jpg

David

how many do you need ?

Nick