Eddie R v2.0

Inverawe Junction 1988-92 Scotrail 4mm scale

Being in the extremely fortunate position of having a large garden, 3 years ago I set about creating a place for me to carry out my modelling away from the house. I built a 20ft x 10ft layout shed in a corner that is fairly sheltered but easy enough to get electricity to. It took about 5 months to get it wind and water tight. Progress over the next 18 months was slow as other things took priority. Roll on to the current day and I am almost finished the interior and the first two sets of layout boards are inside! Plan is to have the main O gauge layout on one side and a small N one on the other. Updates on the progress will appear on this topic.

post-35435-0-50652900-1547742778_thumb.jpg

post-35435-0-35350400-1547742788_thumb.jpg

post-35435-0-30574800-1547742748_thumb.jpg

post-35435-0-51749600-1547742759_thumb.jpg

post-35435-0-88413000-1547742767_thumb.jpg

Edited by Eddie R v2.0
Change title
  • Like 13

There’s even a quiet room too! Need to get you a tour round it once it’s finished and you have a long PNB up here.

One piece of advice I would offer you is BEFORE the roofing felt gets too old and whilst it is still in good condition and completely watertight, add an industrial metal roof. You don't need to have it done by professionals if you are a good DIY individual and are relatively fit (as the metal sheets are weighty and cumbersome) You will also need a second person to assist you on the installation.

Yes it will cost a bit but will give you peace of mind that nature (ie wind) does not rip the felt off and leave the rain to penetrate through and onto the railways below.

Roofing felt lasts from a few years depending on quality, to about 8/9 years, whereas a metal skinned roof will probably never need repairing/replacing, so over time is likely to also be the much cheaper option.

I speak from experience and wish I had done this at the very beginning.

100% agree with you. It’s on this years to-do list. The felt is reasonable quality but nothing beats a decent solid roof.

Cheers

There’s even a quiet room too! Need to get you a tour round it once it’s finished and you have a long PNB up here.

Hell yeah

100% agree with you. It’s on this years to-do list. The felt is reasonable quality but nothing beats a decent solid roof.

Cheers

Looking at your photos again, I note the large number of trestles the baseboards are resting on. Might I be so bold as to offer another suggestion with regard to how you support your railway baseboards in your new shed.

Whilst you are still in the position to see where the wall studding is situated, consider buying TWINSLOT shelving uprights and fitting them to the walls all around your shed ~ just make sure they are all perfectly aligned to each other ~ and have them fitted starting from about 12 inches up from the floor and up to about 6inches from ceiling.  And have them about 16inches apart. Brackets for these uprights go up to 24inches, so you can have a baseboard up to 30inches resting on them.

The benefit of this method is that you maximise storage (other shelves can be positioned as required but the best bit is that you retain complete and unhindered access at floor level and have easy access to the underside of the layout - i.e. no legs getting in the way. If you want to see the benefits before making a decision, have a look at the now closed corkscrew lines blogspot (still available at http://corkscrewlines.blogspot.com/)or the October 2016 issue of Hornby Magazine.

I have used this method myself, so if you need further info regarding my source of supply, just PM me. Whatever you do DO NOT buy from the local DIY shop as that will be very, very expensive in comparison.

Hi,Thanks for that.I did look at a permanent fixture of the layout as the trestles are only a temporary measure till all the taping and painting is done. The layout will be made portable for hopefully taking out to shows so will need its own set of adjustable legs. With regards to storage, I have the back half of the shed for all the big items. The smaller stuff will be stored in the desk drawers.

Cheers

In between shifts I have been rather busy completing the inside of the shed. All the plasterboard is now done, the taping still to be done. I have made the decision not to make the layout exhibit-able so I acquired some cheap kitchen unit carcasses that will support the layout with the added bonus that I will have loads of storage space underneath. I'm not putting a work surface on the units as it will hinder access to do the wiring. Everything is still to be secured but that'll have to wait till taping done. Also ordered the internal door so that'll get fitted next weekend. The second set of boards are temporarily set up on the other side till I decide what will be going on them.

post-35435-0-75154700-1548370957_thumb.jpg

post-35435-0-20475100-1548370982_thumb.jpg

I've also built the 3 photo board from the Tim Horn range. Set a new record for building it- 14 mins!

post-35435-0-42101500-1548371038_thumb.jpg

More as progress continues. 

• Like 3

More progress on the shed today. Most of the painting is now done and the boards for layout 1 are in place ready for paint. Layout 2 won’t get installed until the door is fitted and some other work is done on the left hand wall. Hopefully get that done before tomorrow’s attendance at work! 04C335DA-F784-4E48-8B75-DB99AB6B08C4.jpeg.af46fefb1ea3752baea8c68f5555d661.jpeg

• Like 5

Time to start playing with the track on the 2mm layout. Planning to use Kato Unitrack for speed and simplicity. Plan is to have a small terminus station based in the Highlands in 65-69 era. 

1818350835_r06EyGJmRy0lFdHhLXpYA.jpg.27f2e2d04f5ef1b9e2b8269505bfcafd.jpg05LXzsEBTIqdz0Qpdh3VFA.jpg.a90b79b8ec54878dbb4bf606a95d3e94.jpg

• Like 1

Had a bit of a change of mind regarding which layout is going where! The main boards will now house the 00 scale layout and the N will be a small portable shed layout. 

All the boards are now in place and the lifting section at the back has been built and adjusted. There will also be a lift out section next to the front door. All that it needs is the plywood topping- tomorrows job. This bit will be aligned using pattern makers dowels. 

%vu9zgJGR2ejiqgvZiKu9w.jpg

4YWu%FviReiA1X8%QSUY5w.jpg

• Like 2

A bit more work done today. The lift out section has been topped with ply and painted. I’ve also added a small extension to the fiddle yard which should allow a 2+7 HST to be stored. 

2ED42B54-F966-4FF0-B47E-B9BEDD0DA664.jpeg

9B44378D-AE8E-441B-8CF4-7A797ADE4792.jpeg

• Like 3

Looks very good will be watching your build  I am going to treat myself to  Tim Horne baseboard having seen one close up in Glasgow ,like your shed ,very well built.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, lmsforever said:

Looks very good will be watching your build  I am going to treat myself to  Tim Horne baseboard having seen one close up in Glasgow ,like your shed ,very well built.

Thanks for that. The shed was started in 2016 and has been a bit of a labour of love but not that the layout is getting started, its well worth it. 

As for Tim's boards, they are brilliant- quick to build, strong but light and a good range of sizes. I'm planning another couple for the N gauge layout. 

Cheers

Wee play about with some track to get an idea of what’s possible on the layout. Always wanted a double junction and it looks like it’ll fit! I’m cleaning out the rear part of the shed and dumping loads of rubbish that’s accumulated over the last couple of years, with a view to actually using some of the space inside for storage yard! Better not tell the boss lady though... 

ACEADE76-2082-4D44-A4C1-B3D9AFEF63CC.jpeg

Some progress today in the shed. I’ve laid some carpet tiles on the floor and a roller blind for the window. 

Once this was done, I’ve been re-arranging the points to see what is possible. Long way to go but I’m slowly getting the idea of what I want. 

C1592DD0-3AAD-4B45-8F7E-161E96F7F9FA.jpeg

9FA0329A-589F-4EFA-AE89-636986B517B5.jpeg

DB3A14E9-972F-46D8-91B0-7D360C947B84.jpeg

• Like 2

Thanks James. Simple and effective. Not too expensive either. The Really Useful Boxes fit nicely underneath and I can see what’s in them! 

Managed to get out to the shed today for some track laying. I’ve started on the Branch storage yard and got the South end pretty much done. Plan is to get the North end done tomorrow before work. I need to do some remedial work on the South end bridge to make it less cumbersome but that’ll have to wait till next week at least. 

45467D2D-AB34-472A-8F67-8EEAE4C9298D.jpeg

87497EF8-F596-4285-93A7-C3E20F127136.jpeg

• Like 2

Cheers, yeah, a lot of effort but ultimately been very worth it. Just need to clear the rear section and get the fiddle yards in!