Inverkeilor station layout

tigerburnie

Thanks, we still had some horse and carts used in rural Leicestershire into the '60's, though it was the rag and bone man only later on, lorry it will be as the hills round here would be challenging for even the strongest of horses lol.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/08/2019 at 18:52, tigerburnie said:

I thought it a bit of both really, I was hoping folk might have some input if it was not close to the prototype, but I get your point, problem is I don't actually know how to move it.

One thing that stands out immediately is the height of the landscape on the background. Looking in the direction you are, over the station, the viewer is just a mile and a half from the sea with gently rolling farmland between you and the beach. Your backscene would be improved if you made it mostly sky.

John2_Station_Rd_-_Google_Maps.jpg.d43fece6ba84250a7952345759618ec5.jpg

• Thanks 1

That image is looking down the slope off the bridge though, so when I stood in the yard, although only some 20 or so feet lower down, it did look different, I have since added more detail to the back scene, though it's not yet finished, I used oil paints to give it a bit of 3 dimension, so have to wait for it to dry now. Thanks for the input.

• 1 month later...

I can't give you a definitive answer for Inverkeilor, but as a general rule movements within yards which did not involve the main line were under 'yard control', i.e. the staff on the ground, independent of the signal box and those turnouts which did not involve movements onto the main line were hand operated.

Jim

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Scotrail lists the following as the current position:

Down: IK12 (Home) Lattice post
Down: IK11 (Starting) by over bridge. 
Up: IK6 (Home) 
Up: IK7 (Starting)
Disc shunt signals (4): IK18, IK16/IK9. Yellow IK15 in siding. (Siding OOU, to be removed). 
(Some photos here.)

As this is scheduled for replacement by colour light signals, might be worth a visit if you can arrange one, as the existing staff in signal boxes frequently have an interest in the history of their own patch.

There is also the NBR Study Group, if you are a member - you could ask on their forum.

Alternatively, find a similar station and see how that was arranged, but it is highly unlikely that yard points not controlling access to running lines would be operated from a cabin.

Edited by Regularity
Link to photos.
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I'd have thought that handpoints would not be signalled at all, as they are under control of whoever's in charge.

Possibly theh may have a points 'indicator' which shows which way they're set,  but don't  know how common these were.

Likely the only signal in the yard is at the exit of the yard, where the signalbox resumes control of trains out onto the main line?

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

Hi another question re hand controlled points, how were the small ground signals operated inside a yard, were they connected by rods to the hand point levers?

As Keefer says, hand operated points were not linked to any signals.  Movements over them were controlled by whoever was in charge of shunting operations, yard foreman, shunter, even perhaps the fireman, with hand signals being used to indicate when the required road was set.    The ground signals would control movements which interfered with running lines and were controlled by the signal box, with the usual interlocking with the relevant turnouts.

Jim

• Thanks 2

• 6 months later...

I used to drive the bus through Inverkeilor. The underbridge south of the former station with the 13'9" height limit - IIRC we operated a bus which was placarded as 13'9" tall or thereabouts, but the memo came round we were to cease operating them under that bridge. Driving south, the road descends, then abruptly levels off just before going under the bridge. I think a colleague discovered that if driving with the requisite aplomb, the suspension will compress when the road levels, and bounce the bus upwards enough to strike the underside of the bridge. No idea if it happened or not though :D

• Like 1

• 3 years later...