OO Works Drummond LSWR K10 4-4-0 (Small Hopper)

PrestburyJack

From the OO Works website:

NEW RELEASE

Drummond LSWR K10 4-4-0 (Small Hopper) for release Late 2019.

Orders now being taken.

SR Sage/Olive Lined Nº347   £295.00 + P&P

SR/BR Black with Bulleid Sunshine Nº 389  £285.00 +P&P

BR Black Nº30382 L/W £285.00 + P&P 

Expected Late 2019.

https://www.ooworks.co.uk/products

Brief History

A batch of 40 Drummond K10s were built at Elms works between 1901-1902 for mixed traffic work there they earned the nickname “Small Hoppers.”

These K10s were mainly paired with 6 wheel tenders because of their intended short journeys although some carried the larger 8-wheel water cart tenders.

The K10s underwent little change in their lifetime apart from “Urie” removing the firebox water tube box during LSWR days. In 1925 ten of the Drummond K10s were fitted with stove-pipe chimneys for use on the Eastern section, being based at Gillingham from 1940. They began to lose their smoke-box wing plates. During 1941 five of the K10 class were lent to the LMS and worked mainly from Bristol and Gloucester and in the SDJR.

The main withdraw started at the end of Southern days in 1947, 31 entered British Railway stock at nationalisation when withdrawal was so rapid. Only 30382 received BR numbering whilst 389 was the last to be withdrawn in July of 1951 from Yeovil town shed. None were preserved.

(No connection other than as a satisfied customer)

Edited by PrestburyJack
Now available

• 5 months later...
On 18/01/2019 at 03:53, PrestburyJack said:

NEW RELEASE

Drummond LSWR K10 4-4-0 (Small Hopper) for release Late 2019.

Expected Late 2019.

https://www.ooworks.co.uk/products

(No connection other than as a satisfied customer)

Now also available in LSWR Sage/Olive green

Edited by PrestburyJack
Tidy up post
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 03/07/2019 at 17:36, PrestburyJack said:

Now also available in LSWR Sage/Olive green

I've just received an e-mail from Rebecca at OO Works:

"LSWR livery  is Holly Green,  with pea green lining, and the LSWR in Gold."

Edited by PrestburyJack
Tidy up post
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have just received my three from the second batch in SR olive green (without numbers, as I had requested, so that I can renumber these myself without having to remove any numbers).

Out of interest, has anyone any pictures of the LSWR livery ones? I do not believe that I have seen what these look like.

• 3 months later...

Just received an invoice for the LSWR Holly Green and SR Sunshine Black versions now ready for dispatch.

LSWR Holly Green with Pea Green lining, Gold Letters & Numbers Nº342

Sold Out

SR Dark Olive Lined with Yellow Lettering and Numbers Nº347

Sold Out

SR Black with Bulleid Sunshine Nº389

Sold Out

BR Black Nº30382

Sold Out

Edited by PrestburyJack
All sold out
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 months later...

Has anyone seen any photos of the other three versions? I’d be interested to see how they looked in the end even though it’s too late to purchase now.

I must say I slightly regret not ordering one of these; the detail may not be the absolute highest level but they’re such attractively-proportioned engines and a bit of extra detailing work might turn one into a bit of a stunner I would imagine.

Adam

• 2 months later...
Guest Jack Benson

Not all the versions have been mentioned, this is 30382, the only K10 to receive a BR number however it awaits a watercart as seen in the image of 382 at Verwood on the SDJR 19th July 1937, eighty three years ago to the day.

FF8DE768-8698-4FDB-A12E-6AC37372F4FA.png.1188e9d9738c5b2109fe34640ddcf326.png

543C20CC-5A23-4EE3-9648-A1FD2A59F603.png.63f5cc5a2ac579daab393978c76e1f55.png

H C Casserly 

• 11 months later...

I've got the BR version. It's a very good model which is even better with a few extra details added. I scratch built the Drummond Feed Water Pump (correct description ?) between the driving wheels, close coupled the tender, fitted a fall plate and brake hangers to the tender. Then I weathered it added a crew and real coal to the tender. Finally having no idea what it sounded like I fitted Youchoos M7 sounds on the basis that the boiler and driving wheels were the same ( I think). It runs beautifully and has great pulling power. When my layout 'Bridport' is completed enough to start running I plan to use it in my early 1950's sequence with the Jubilee when released, blue MN, 10202 Diesel, N15 with watercart tender etc. Also the D Class from Guildford shed with a parcels train and Beachy Head on the Brighton to Plymouth service changing with a WC or BB from Bridport shed for continuing onto Exeter. Such are my pipedreams!

K10 on Bridport Viaduct 1.jpg

K10 on Bridport Viaduct 2.jpg

K10 Drummond Feed Water Pump detail.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Rich46 said:

Finally having no idea what it sounded like I fitted Youchoos M7 sounds on the basis that the boiler and driving wheels were the same ( I think).

Not only that the boiler was the same type, so its almost like a 4-4-0 version of the M7 so it probably is a very good likeness. 

Guest Jack Benson

30382 should have a watercart. During its short BR life it carried a BR number but in sunshine style and it did not carry a BR lion.

StaySafe

spacer.png

Guest Jack Benson

Fun fact, the Steaming Through Wessex features a K10 (misidentified in the commentary) in the yard at Yeovil Town, possibly the only footage of this class in a colour film.

StaySafe

338AA225-1F4A-4E17-86FD-7D8433FB0EE9.png.7879a9a175c5b6a9ad662fbacff9e666.png

Thanks very much Jack for that information. I've done a quick search online and apparently there were seven watercart tenders involved. They didn't stay permanently with heir engines but were swapped around. The main users of this tender were 135,144,380,382,386,391 & 392  but they weren't exclusive users. Have you seen photographic evidence of 30382 in BR days with the watercart tender? I haven't found any in my short and not very extensive search. However 389 was not a known user and survived until 1951 so I might change my model's identity to this loco in Southern sunshine lettering as it will save me having to change the tender.