BR Green Class 37

Steamplug

Hi all I’m looking to do a BR Green respray on my 2 Hornby split headcode 37’s I’m looking for examples of loco’s to model ideally something named as I would like to add a nameplate to the side. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated even better if anyone has any reference pics feel free to post.

• RMweb Gold

Hi there

Namers? Hmmm... there were only 3 original namers with East Anglian regimental names - and there is significant probability that although the nameplates were fitted they were never actually unveilled. D6703/4/7.

There were several later refurbished locos that wore BR green and were named - Ben Cruachan and Caerphiily Castle come to mind - but they aint split boxes and were late 90s/2000 era - when are you modelling?

And how accurate are you wanting to be with details? There are features - cantrail grilles and steam heat biolers on as built locos for instance, air brakes in later eras - that are specific to certain batches of locos.

Cheers

Phil

• Like 1

As Phil has mentioned, the Class 37 detail differences make this sort of re-paint a total minefield added to which, the Hornby model is pretty basic compared to the Bachmann and ViTrains models.

However, if you're looking for a split box green loco with not too much concern for accuracy then 37119 / 37350 / D6700 would be a good choice. It was painted into original green livery in 1988 and widely photographed, so there is plenty of reference material. Not a "namer", but a celebrity that was often displayed at open days.

As Phil has mentioned, the Class 37 detail differences make this sort of re-paint a total minefield added to which, the Hornby model is pretty basic compared to the Bachmann and ViTrains models.

However, if you're looking for a split box green loco with not too much concern for accuracy then 37119 / 37350 / D6700 would be a good choice. It was painted into original green livery in 1988 and widely photographed, so there is plenty of reference material. Not a "namer", but a celebrity that was often displayed at open days.

It still has not got the numbering right though, the font and position are incorrect.

The 3 "namers" always had their nameplates covered by black painted plywood, to the best of my knowledge. All of D6700-29 were regulars through Cambridge, we even prised one of the boards away from the nameplate at Cambridge station to look at the name underneath. The plan was to name them after local regiments, but the latter were reformed so the idea was abandoned.

My model of D6704 does however carry dummy nameplates.

Stewart

• Like 1

37350 was named, it carried the National Railway Museum nameplates:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/47843_vulcan/15020395293/in/photolist-oTisdD-QJEFwS-bAZ8SF-bdbBSF-nAdA6B-nygjNC-GBf8Yf-JWe2gc-dBMaRU-okpyyb-cQffSu-bV3FaT-UPnNa5-gpMb3b-cKkBzU-p36ExW-dRy3Qc-dQLc6y-fV4bC2-nA4L5C-qgWiij-nwQPB9-2aeiJ7T-c6ekYC-p36EBy-9LfPHV-cTGdLU-aAFx5K-hkjhBU-n4YXSi-q6jVAv-dKQuMg-mn7DY2-cKkB6U-etHbuK-nuJumT-qPnumq-gmd5bg-etLt8Q-dPr17d-217pANf-fWiGEo-7z4d2W-EoSyAE-i14kY1-etLkrW-dRy3ga-aNFU2P-bVvE2k-aNFJ5R

Edited by 37114

• RMweb Gold

And whilst it was cropped earlier on in its "preserved" career the nose end valances were restored later on in photos - was that post 2009?

If we want to be pedantic the prototype has the extra cantrail grille bars which the Hornby model lacks - and I cant see whether the Hornby Model has a boiler or not - in its preserved state am guessing the latter would be correct for this loco.

But as has already been suggested rule one applies if the OP sees fit to go down this route

Phil

Great support all thanks for such a response, the era I’m modelling is the late steam early diesel phase. Reason for the Hornby choose is this is my first attempt at a respray and some detailing so wanted something that would allow for affordable mistakes.

Like the idea of D6703 but can seem to find many pictures online will need to try and source some first east Anglian nameplates I will spray my second loco as a non namey looking to D6732 as there are loads of source images available. Probably my next question is as pointed out above I need to consider cantrails, steam heat boilers and air brakes so any pointers welcome. I will add a photo of my donor loco for reference.

Edited by Steamplug

• RMweb Gold

You are welcome

So in your era - no namers am afraid - heres D6703 with the plates covered over ....https://www.class37.co.uk/imagepage.aspx?strnumber=jh37003&cf=gall

You may find this thread useful

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/54157-class-37-roof-detail-diffrences/

What you have is a VF built boiler fitted loco with a smooth roof so anything from from D6798 to D6818 would seem to be fair game- they were largely Sheffield locos (Darnall/Tinsley) and did wander quite a bit - eg to Banbury on the Newcastle - Poole trains, and later on were often seen heading through Derby on coal trains from South Yorkshire to the Midlands

Hope that helps

Phil

You are welcome

So in your era - no namers am afraid - heres D6703 with the plates covered over ....https://www.class37.co.uk/imagepage.aspx?strnumber=jh37003&cf=gall

You may find this thread useful

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/54157-class-37-roof-detail-diffrences/

What you have is a VF built boiler fitted loco with a smooth roof so anything from from D6798 to D6818 would seem to be fair game- they were largely Sheffield locos (Darnall/Tinsley) and did wander quite a bit - eg to Banbury on the Newcastle - Poole trains, and later on were often seen heading through Derby on coal trains from South Yorkshire to the Midlands

Hope that helps

Phil

Phil some fantastic info there and really helps me narrow down my modelling candidate, in fact the whole thread has got me thinking about my donor model as I have 1x Lima 37 and 1x Hornby 37 I’m now in a place where I may make 1 model from the 2 I do have a question about the buffer bars though as I’ve seen 2 different types - see picks, given my Lima body shell has one type and my Hornby another I was wondering why the difference?

post-32860-0-77823300-1547933370_thumb.jpeg

post-32860-0-15439600-1547933386_thumb.jpeg

• RMweb Gold

Ah no can see what you mean - common terminology is buffer beam.

The first picture represents an as built loco with cowlings around the buffers

The second picture represents a refurbished loco with cut back cowlings - although it is painted in early livery, a preservation inaccuracy.

For a steam/diesel era loco you want the first one with cowlings which the Hornby model does represent

6 min in to this video is our take on one of the Sheffield batch of locos I mentioned - D6811 heads south through Abbotswood Junction - based on Bachmann model.

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

Slightly OT but does anyone know why the name plates were removed from those 3 ER 37's, just curious. Possible answer to my own question, it appears that there were some regiment amalgamtions in the early 60's.

Edited by w124bob

Slightly OT but does anyone know why the name plates were removed from those 3 ER 37's, just curious. Possible answer to my own question, it appears that there were some regiment amalgamtions in the early 60's.

I recall it was because of the reasons you suggested

Explained by me earlier in the thread.

Nameplates fitted and covered with black plywood, awaiting official unveiling.

Before the date actually happenned, the Regiments that the names covered were reformed so no longer existed, so the plates were removed.

Stewart

Explained by me earlier in the thread.

Nameplates fitted and covered with black plywood, awaiting official unveiling.

Before the date actually happenned, the Regiments that the names covered were reformed so no longer existed, so the plates were removed.

Stewart

Seems like someone didn't do their homework, me for not reading previous posts properly and someone on BR. It's not as if regiments amalgamate overnight. Who made the ones you have? Edited by w124bob

My "nameplates" are actually cut from insulation tape. Not the modern vinyl type, but the old fashioned black cloth type. I did them many years ago when the Triang model first came out,and transferred them to the Bachmann model later. TBH they are tatty now and need replacing. Masking tape perhaps?

Stewart

My "nameplates" are actually cut from insulation tape. Not the modern vinyl type, but the old fashioned black cloth type. I did them many years ago when the Triang model first came out,and transferred them to the Bachmann model later. TBH they are tatty now and need replacing. Masking tape perhaps?

Stewart

Stewart any chance you could share a pic sounds really interesting?

• RMweb Premium

I always was under the impression that all three locos were named East Anglian Regiment but each had their own battalion number, D6703 was First, D6704 Second and D6705 Third. The problem could well be the East Angilan Regiment was was reformed into the Royal Anglian Regiment by adding the Royal Leicestershire Regiment as its fourth battalion.

They should/could have named them after the former regiments that made up the Angle-irons (name 10 Fld Wks REME used to call them) because the LMR did with D 56 naming her after the 16th Foot.

post-16423-0-61057900-1548170099_thumb.jpg

When I get around to repairing D6703 I will repaint the covers black. A scratchbuilt loco should be named, but in my time period Type 3s were not.

I always was under the impression that all three locos were named East Anglian Regiment but each had their own battalion number, D6703 was First, D6704 Second and D6705 Third. The problem could well be the East Angilan Regiment was was reformed into the Royal Anglian Regiment by adding the Royal Leicestershire Regiment as its fourth battalion.

They should/could have named them after the former regiments that made up the Angle-irons (name 10 Fld Wks REME used to call them) because the LMR did with D 56 naming her after the 16th Foot.

100_5095a.jpg

When I get around to repairing D6703 I will repaint the covers black. A scratchbuilt loco should be named, but in my time period Type 3s were not.

There is some debate if it is D6705 or D6707 that was going to be the third one, I have seen both numbers quoted.

Stewart any chance you could share a pic sounds really interesting?

Not worth a pic as they are now so bad through age. Sorry.

But the idea is quite simple. Imagine an etched nameplate from one of the suppliers. Cut a piece of tape the same size and shape, stick that to the bodyside. Job done.

The old cloth insulation tape had a rough texture (probably too course, but whatever...). The new vinyl tape is smooth. I'm thinking masking tape (DIY, not modelling type) might be ok. The plywood, black painted, also has a surface texture that I was trying to recreate.

Stewart

• 3 weeks later...

R.e the three East Anglian namers:

Our own loco, D6703, carried the name "The 1st. East Anglian Regiment", with the plates being fitted in April 1963 and thought to have been removed during September the same year. During this time they were covered by a plank of unpainted wood, cut to the shape of the plates. This is how the loco was seen when viewed at Wymondham that summer:

1734783949_D6703Wymondham.png.898dcdc4a20180b07e0dd6c91c0c16b5.png

A photo of the nameplate does exist and shows it to have a black background with "The 1st." on the top row and "East Anglian Regiment" below. The original bodyside holes were rediscovered during early preservation bodywork repairs in the late 1990's, so the size of the nameplate is also known.

No photo of D6704 carrying it's plate has ever come to light as far as we are aware. Equally, I am currently trying to source a photo of the loco in the mid-60's to check for bodyside holes/bolts to ascertain if it even carried a name at all, as my current line of research brings this into question.

D6707 did carry a nameplate and the bolts for this were left in situ for many years; there are photos of the loco in the mid-70's with all seven bolts protruding from the bodyside! Whether or not the wooden cover for this was painted black or left unpainted is unknown.

I hope this helps answer some of the questions raised.

Kind regards

James

C37LG

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1