A Wiltshire Carriage Works

Doncaster Green

• RMweb Premium

One further tip, when soldering laminations together that are subsequently going to have to be filed (or broached) to shape/size, I always use one of the high melting point solders that includes some silver in its mix. It is surprising how much localised heat filing and broaching can generate and the use of the hmp solder helps ensure that they don't delaminate - it is particularly effective for laminating coupling rods which will require subsequent broaching of the bearing holes. It also has the added benefit that, using a temperature controlled iron appropriately set, one can subsequently solder the built-up item into position without fear of delamination.

Thanks for that.

The solder I am using (electrical) is, I believe, 212 deg. Whether it contains any silver I have no idea. The intention would be, if I can actually put the ducket together and shape it, to fix it in place with some 148 deg I have.

As a, very, beginner in 2mm it’s tips like these I am seeking - thank you.

Regards

John

I need some advice, tips or guidance.   The Guards' ducket for the brake ends is a nice little 3 piece fold up etch that needs laminating together and then all 4 edges filing to 45 degrees.   So far, every one I've tried laminates nicely but as soon as I start filing becomes 3 separate pieces.   Can anyone give me some pointers?   At the moment I refuse to be beaten and order white metal ones from Etched Pixels although I'm going to run out of etches in a minute.

Regards

John

I suspect you might have better luck using a different solder than the one you describe earlier!  My father brought me up on resin cored solder but once introduced to Carr/C&L solders and fluxes I have never looked back. Except for trackwork where thin cored solder works a treat.

Speaking personally, I use the Ultima/Etched Pixels duckets. More correct material for the job to be honest. The etched versions were just something to get around the fact that Ultima was in a dormant state when the kits were designed and the range of cast components was unobtainable. I suppose I would even have found a way to etch a vacuum cylinder if those were also not available as turnings or castings. But it would never have been a sensible solution.

I have contemplated 3D-printed versions of duckets. But also I have a large stock of Ultima castings of many sorts in a jealously guarded box, just in case Etched Pixels ever disappears again. If they are available now, I would give Alan Cox a call and get some.

Chris

Edited by Chris Higgs

• RMweb Premium

I suspect you might have better luck using a different solder than the one you describe earlier!  My father brought me up on resin cored solder but once introduced to Carr/C&L solders and fluxes I have never looked back. Except for trackwork where thin cored solder works a treat.

Speaking personally, I use the Ultima/Etched Pixels duckets. More correct material for the job to be honest. The etched versions were just something to get around the fact that Ultima was in a dormant state when the kits were designed and the range of cast components was unobtainable. I suppose I would even have found a way to etch a vacuum cylinder if those were also not available as turnings or castings. But it would never have been a sensible solution.

I have contemplated 3D-printed versions of duckets. But also I have a large stock of Ultima castings of many sorts in a jealously guarded box, just in case Etched Pixels ever disappears again. If they are available now, I would give Alan Cox a call and get some.

Chris

Thanks Chris,

I think I will experiment with other solders, although I've got so used to the characteristics of the stuff I'm using that I can do pretty much all I want with it apart from where real low melt is needed.

I am going to give the etch ducket one more try as I don't like just giving up.   I'm more of "if at first you don't succeed, try a gin" rather than "again" after about the third "again"!   I've had some stuff from Etched Pixels recently so everything seems to be up and running.   I need more vacuum reservoirs and dynamos anyway, so I will order some duckets as well.

regards

John

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

It's been a few days since I exposed anything on here, so I thought I would show the progress on the latest build.   It will also give me an opportunity to work out how the new software works!   So:DSC00829.JPG.3c7a7b69644941da254edbd84f7aa54c.JPG

Note to self: Must improve photography!

This is the second of the D250 twins I am building and differs from the first one shown earlier in that I've added door hinges and, I must admit, it does make a difference.   A bit of a fiddly, time-consuming job but worth it I believe.   They haven't had their wash and brush up yet and are lacking bogies.   Building the bogies will be the subject of my next instalment - 'How I manage to avoid making a sow's ear out of the silk purse that is the Masterclass/2mm Assoc. bogie etch!'

Regards

John

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Jerry.   Looking at it you're right - more light!   Bit like my cooking; I'm always accused of it being underdone.   I was trying to avoid using the flash so I didn't get a glare off the bare metal but should have used the desk lamp to give me a bit more of a flood rather than rely on room lights, strong as they are, behind me.

John

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, queensquare said:

image.png.a1aa9e42f8a551ce97aa651af91de64b.png

Hi John, came across this cracking picture over in the S&D area of the forum. My knowledge of LNER coaches is slim but is it similar to the types you are building.

Jerry

What a lovely picture!  Long way from home with no loos!  Looks like a diag 361 5 comp brake third.  Usually attributed to Thompson but, with the round cornered windows built under Peppercorn or maybe even BR, I think some were built as late as 1950.   I’ll have to check.  Thanks Jerry

Regards

John

Edited by Doncaster Green
To ask a question

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Doncaster Green said:

Any idea of date Jerry.  It looks like maroon so that would put post 56/57?

Its winter of 62/63. The picture comes from here  http://www.newman-family-tree.net/s&d/index.html

I need your expert eye but I think I may need to track down a couple of Chris Higgs kits for my small but growing collection of stock for 'the branch' in its final years!

Jerry

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, queensquare said:

I need your expert eye but I think I may need to track down a couple of Chris Higgs kits for my small but growing collection of stock for 'the branch' in its final years!

Jerry

Hi Jerry

You know what they say about experts - an ex is a 'has-been' and a spurt is a drip under pressure!   Anyway, I think I've managed to read the number on that coach.   It looks like E87217E which would indeed make it a Diag 361 built, according to Hugh Longworth's book, by Metropolitan-Cammell in September 1951 and taken out of service in November 1963, there's no indication of when it pitched up on the S&D.   Chris Higgs did do a kit for this but, I believe, they have sold out.   I managed to get one when he opened the books again last year.

Looking at some pictures on the interwebby I think there were some other ex LNER coaches on the branch - the roof profile and rain strip placing are quite distinctive - but I can't see enough detail to identify them.   Why did photographers always photograph the locos and never the coaches!

Regards

John

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Thompson 5 compartment D361s are also available from:-

Etched Pixels (mixed media, 3d print body, interior & roof with etched brass overlays for the sides and ends, also supplied with Dapol bogies) 

Worsley Works (side ends and floor).

Appropriate etched bogies are available from shop 3.

I have an Etched Pixel D361 nearing completion and a couple of Thompson coaches from Worsley works in the "to do" pile.

Just in case you can't track down a Masterclass one.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that Argos.   What scale are the Etched Pixel kits?   Are they 1:148 as I think Jerry will be looking for 1:152 having probably already built the ex LMS stock that seems to have run with it.

Old age is certainly catching up with me as I've only just remembered buying a 1:152 Thompson 5 Comp BT from Worsley Works - their website just lists it as a 5 Comp BT with no diagram number - and I've just been to check it and it is a Diag 361 with round cornered widows.   As an aside for Jerry: if Chris hasn't got any and you go with Worsley I'm pretty sure Chris told me he had some 52ft Thompson underframes, but you'd need to check.

Regards

John

• RMweb Gold

Hi John,

Etched Pixels state the following on their website:-

"The Ultima and Etched Pixels products are produced to two different scales. The first of these is traditional UK N scale (1:148), the second is the traditional fine scale modelling scale of 2mm/ft (1:152). The differences between these two scales are small enough that it rarely matters."

As the D361 kit is an Etched Pixel product I would assume it is to 1:152. 

That said it will have 1:148 bogies from Dapol.

On mine I was going to replace the bogies with the society's etched product but after deciding there was little discernible difference in size went with the easy option.

One thing that did surprise me was how undersized the Dapol wheels were.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Argos

I've just been having a look at Etched Pixel's web site to see if I could see which scale the Thompsons are and most are being listed as out of stock.   There is a note on the news page that says he will not be restocking 3D printed items post BREXIT because of Shapeways ever increasing prices and the costs and hassle of import fees and documentation, so I wonder what the future for the kits is.   I am not aware of an equivalent 3D printing outfit in the UK.   Perhaps all those guys on here experimenting with 3D at home are on the right track!   Luckily from my point of view the bits I will be sourcing from EP (dynamos, guards duckets, vacuum reservoirs) are good old whitemetal.

Regards

John

I built a Thompson BG a few years back - inherited by EP from Ultima I believe. The body is to 1:148 but strangely the bogie pivot centres were correct for 2mm scale. Easy to correct once you've worked out what's going on but very odd.

Clearly Brexit is a complete unknown (still!) but I suspect that we will still be using 3d prints afterwards even if there is some disruption while the dust settles. I'm less keen on Shapeways than I was - partly because of price and partly because of variable quality.

There's a colour photo of a Thompson 5 compartment BT in Welch's Somerset & Dorset Sunset (p79). Unfortunately the brake portion is obscured by the shadow of Rock Cutting Bridge. The BT has what I think is a 64' Mk1 non-corridor composite for company: the difference in length must have made them appear rather an odd couple.

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks for all your help chaps. If Chris hasn't got any left I will see if I can get one by asking on here or the VAG if anyone has a spare in their gloat box that is unlikely to be built. The idea of one of these with a non-corridor Mk1 sounds like an interesting combo for a branch train. I have a Farish Hawksworth brake third which often ran singly with some sort of parcels van in later years. I also have a Dapol Ivatt with one of Nigel Hs chassis and a Peco 22xx and could easily add a 4F to the mix. I fancy a small SDJR  branch layout in late years sometime.

jerry

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, queensquare said:

Many thanks for all your help chaps. If Chris hasn't got any left I will see if I can get one by asking on here or the VAG if anyone has a spare in their gloat box that is unlikely to be built. The idea of one of these with a non-corridor Mk1 sounds like an interesting combo for a branch train. I have a Farish Hawksworth brake third which often ran singly with some sort of parcels van in later years. I also have a Dapol Ivatt with one of Nigel Hs chassis and a Peco 22xx and could easily add a 4F to the mix. I fancy a small SDJR  branch layout in late years sometime.

jerry

Jerry

I've just checked my e.mails with Chris and he did say he had some Thompson underframes.   I've also realised that I should have had some of them, but forgot when I put my order together!   If all else fails I may have a spare underframe that could go with some Worsley etches.

Regards

John

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Doncaster Green said:

Jerry

I've just checked my e.mails with Chris and he did say he had some Thompson underframes.   I've also realised that I should have had some of them, but forgot when I put my order together!   If all else fails I may have a spare underframe that could go with some Worsley etches.

Regards

John

That's very kind, thanks John

jerry

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, queensquare said:

jerry

Just like these -

BBG02  Cl2 262T 41243 Hbr - Ecr J at Glastonbury 5 11 64.jpg

LMSR 2-6-2T 41243 Highbridge S&D 27 3 1965 neg.jpg

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1