Market stalls and casual traders

ianmacc

Here’s one for us to consider.

Are there any regular stalls on markets etc up and down the country that sell model railways (most likely secondhand) that would otherwise fall beneath the radar of sites like ukmodelshops.com etc?

I believe there is one in Doncaster market every Wednesday but have never been.

Not really looking for one-off stalls that may have something once in a while - more those that usually have some bits even as part of a wider range of items.

I know about the one in Stockport market as that advertises,

• Like 1

There is a stall in the Northwich outdoor market that sells odd bits of model railway items along with some diecast along with comics, music and other bits. There used to be another stall in the main indoor market next door and I believe this was S&J Models that is now based up the road in Castle.

HTH Paul

• RMweb Premium

Loughborough market place on Thursdays has regular model and antique/curio stalls, one of the regular model traders was also on the Saturday market last weekend. Diecast and Triang/Hornby including GWR clerestories for $7. I am on a self-denying ordinance not to buy tat I don't need, however inviting.

Hi. No not meaning organised swapmeets.

I recall a stall at Barnstaple pannier market about ten years ago.

I think they were more common when the hobby was still mainstream.

In the last year or so I have seen a stall in the pannier market at Barnstaple with model railway items on more than one occasion, only a small amount though.

cheers

• RMweb Gold

Loughborough market place on Thursdays has regular model and antique/curio stalls, one of the regular model traders was also on the Saturday market last weekend. Diecast and Triang/Hornby including GWR clerestories for $7. I am on a self-denying ordinance not to buy tat I don't need, however inviting.

As a Loughborough resident, I should point out that the model and antique/curio stalls are in the marketplace on Fridays. Thursdays is given over to food, clothing, household requisites etc.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

In the last year or so I have seen a stall in the pannier market at Barnstaple with model railway items on more than one occasion, only a small amount though.

cheers

I was in NA a couple of months ago and the stall wasn't there. 

There’s a stall in a market in Shrewsbury, although I must confess that it made such a little impression on me that I’ve forgotten the name of both the stall and the market it was in

EDIT:

Salopian models, market Hall Shrewsbury

Edited by Edge

There a couple of stalls in the indoor market in Pickering, North Yorks, that always sold model railway stuff, mostly second hand but some new, along with railway books and other printed matter. I managed to pick up a few model bargains on various visits, but also a BR SR General Appendix!! I have not been there for over two years, but they were still around then.

• Agree 1

There a couple of stalls in the indoor market in Pickering, North Yorks, that always sold model railway stuff, mostly second hand but some new, along with railway books and other printed matter. I managed to pick up a few model bargains on various visits, but also a BR SR General Appendix!! I have not been there for over two years, but they were still around then.

The railway stalls in Pickering market are no longer there. I use to call in when visiting.

I am led to believe the trader now has a shop in Grosmont.

Paul

The railway stalls in Pickering market are no longer there. I use to call in when visiting.

Paul

That would be Dave Edge I guess. He already had a cottage or two for holiday lets up there. I presume he has taken over the Railway Shop, oppo the NYMR station. Seems to be called "Steaming Loco" now, but not much info on it.

The other chap was getting on a bit, so he may have retired by now.

Pity.

That would be Dave Edge I guess. He already had a cottage or two for holiday lets up there. I presume he has taken over the Railway Shop, oppo the NYMR station. Seems to be called "Steaming Loco" now, but not much info on it.

The other chap was getting on a bit, so he may have retired by now.

Pity.

Paul

Right across from the station you've got the shop, Then you've got the railway book shop next door or two doors down.  :declare:

The Wednesday market in Hemel Hempstead has a coule of stalls with various secondhand model railway stuff.

Usually very ancient Triang and HD. The bus and lorry section is rather better and from time to time there has been a good transport book stall. though I think he might have given up.

Bernard

St.Ives (Cambs) market (Mon & Fri) has a small indoor market as well as the street. There is a small stand in there selling diecast.

Ely (Thurs) market used to have a guy selling diecast. I don't know if he still trades, I've only been a couple of times this year, and they seem to have rehashed the market. Much smaller on Thursday, and with other "themed" days such as craft on (I believe) Saturday. Might be good for our type of stall? But of cause there is the Ely Cycle Centre close by, with its own model section.

Stewart

PS there’s one in Castleford indoor market called VW models. There most days standard market hours.

Wasn't there a couple of weeks ago, think he had been suffering from ill health, only ever bought some Humbrol weathering powders from him.

Stall has a new trader, alas not model railways

Edited by waggy