Jason's Printer Thread

• 4 years later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 02/02/2019 at 09:20, chris p bacon said:

You could pass the water through a filter to remove particles then leave it outside to evaporate.

Or just throw it down the loo as most probably do...

I've just bought a 3D resin printer and am using water washable resin.

I have used a cleaning machine for the wash/cleaning process. I think it is time to refresh the machine's water. I've read somewhere that leaving the water/resin solution in the garden for a (long?) while allows the water to evaporate and the resin to largely solidify whereupon it can be disposed of with the domestic waste.

My concern with this is the likelihood of wild life consuming the contaminated liquid.

Is disposal via the loo actually acceptable?

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Ray H said:

I have used a cleaning machine for the wash/cleaning process. I think it is time to refresh the machine's water. I've read somewhere that leaving the water/resin solution in the garden for a (long?) while allows the water to evaporate and the resin to largely solidify whereupon it can be disposed of with the domestic waste.

My concern with this is the likelihood of wild life consuming the contaminated liquid.

Evening Ray.

My loo comment was just an offhand quip as I know @JCL rather well and he has some disturbing habits...

I'd say that putting it in the sewage wasn't really the best thing to do as the treatment plants are set up to deal with organic waste rather than chemical. Jason only pops in here occasionally so it might take a while to get a reply.

I don't have a resin printer I have a PLA one so the issue of waste water isn't something I've had to deal with. .....Thinking about it @MikeTrice might have a suggestion as I know Mike uses a resin printer.

• Funny 1

Certainly not down the toilet. If it solidifies somewhere it'll be a heck of a blockage to clear.  Put a bit of mesh over the tub if you're concerned about wildlife, but most animals are quite sensible about what they eat.

Alan 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Another failing of water washable resin. If you use acetone or IPA it'll evaporate, and is much easier to dispose. The best you can hope for with water is that the resin settles and cures. Definitely don't go putting it down the drain. I'd ditch the water washable resin too frankly!

4 hours ago, Ray H said:

Resins will cure underwater if left out in the sun, though you may finish with a clear liquid and a sludge made of partly cured material. This can probably be filtered out. If part of the resin is soluble in water, the remaining liquid could be classified as chemical waste and disposed of through your local authority. 

It would help if resin suppliers made their Safety Data Sheets more accessible. 

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the replies.

We have milk in 4 pint containers. Could I (carefully) transfer the contaminated water into those, put the lid on and leave them out in the garden for a while for the water and solids to separate, pour off the water and then bung what's left in the rubbish.

That said, would it be acceptable to cut the container open, dispose of the solid with the rubbish and recycle the remains of the plastic bottle with the other plastic waste?

You can treat cured resins as normal household waste. It is what maybe dissolved in the water that may be the problem. 

London has a household chemical collection scheme which will take up to 40 litres at time three time a year free of charge. I would expect other local authorities run similar schemes.

If the LA is able to dispose of your waste water it will not need to be separated. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried this.... you certainly get the white gunge and plenty of it - however after 'cleaning', the IPA as a liquid is still sticky, and in my limited experience, not as pure as new stuff.... But try it, you may get on with it.... I nowadays leave the IPA in a clear container in the sunlight and let it settle out, and decant the top part out for re-use. 

• RMweb Gold

To be honest, I've not resin printed for a while, but that's what I did. I had a large container that I filled up with gunk and then eventually took it down to the dump for proper disposal.

I do like that some people have 2 containers of IPA - one which is used over and over for the first wash, and then the other which is kept as clean as possible for final wash. Once I get back into it (I'm using strimmer line at the moment), I think this is something that I'll be doing.

Before that I need to wildly agitate my resin as it's been sat for two years...