iTrain good or not so good?

model-trains

Hi Guys

I am about to start my third layout after the new year, moved home and have a bit more space. In the past I have used Hornby Elink amd RailMaster, although I now have the Hornby Elite.

I welcome comments about iTrain software from you guys, good or not so good. 

I am interested in comments from current users of the software. I have the 60 day trial, I am 28 days into the trial and have been quite impressed. My proposed new layout was created in no time at all, I have created blocks, feedbacks and am starting to play with routes. 

I appreciate I am just scratching the surface but do like the feel of what I have seen so far. Except maybe, the manual doesn't seem clear at times. 

What sensor system and control do you find best and most affordable with iTrain software. I am aware that DCCTrainAutomation.co,uk are the UK dealers for the software. 

All comments welcome

Thank you 

I found the step by step guide on the itrain forum more help than the manual, but that is just me! I use the digikeijs stuff, with the 5088RC, but am only just beginning my attempts, so not much help I am afraid! Have had great service from DCCTrainAutomation though.

Thanks

The one thing I have noticed regarding iTrain, unfortunately there are not many videos about the software, unlike TrainController there are so many.

Good quality videos, I find very useful, I learn faster by seeing something done. But that is just me I guess. 

The DR5088RC work seemlessly with iTrain reporting the loco ID on the screen - assuming that loco or accessory has Railcom and that it is enabled :)

The real bonus is when you switch in the layout as iTrain will automatically identify all trains on the layout and place them in the correct block - even if you have moved the train manually with iTrain switched off. If you drop a new loco into the layout then it will show you the chip number and if it has been on the layout before it will show you the name of the loco.

Excellent bits of kit :)

I have 2 of the 5088RC working with the 5000 and iTrain. I too get that there are not many videos currently, but then I am guilty for not making one showing my initial trials with the components and software! I watched the faebook video that DCC Automation did, that helped me, but the step by step guide helped me fill in the blanks, such as pressing connect to get the sections to link....seems simple now, but wasn't when i was messing around by myself!

The 5088RC are brilliant for showing the loco numbers in the feedback blocks. When you make the blocks that include the feedbacks, make sure you specify where those feedbacks are in the blocks!

• 3 months later...

I am just in the final stage of my 2 month  iTrain trial with my Z21, it's been quite a learning curve. I'm impressed and so will be placing an order for a  licence early next week.

I'm not a uTube user so the lack of videos is not an issue for me. The documentation  is pretty comprehensive and the help one gets from the iTrain forum is second to none, both from the Developers and experienced users alike (thanks Iain)

• Thanks 1

• 10 months later...

When I looked at this software today (having read of some of the RR&Co shenanigans going on) I noticed that it doesn't appear to support the NCE DCC system. Is this the case and is there any likelihood of NCE support being added?

ITrain does work with NCE however it doesn’t support it fully for all NCE command stations. The reasons are all down to NCE as they have changed the command interface several times, changed commands and even dropped commands from the interface. This when allied to the very poor documentation for the NCE interface and a lack of engagement from NCE with the ITrain author has placed him in a position where for NCE if it works it works, if not then it doesn’t.

He has however just developed a new patch to make ITrain V5 able to use NCE to a larger extent.

The author is as frustrated as you probably are however the problem lies with NCE and not ITrain.

4 hours ago, WIMorrison said:

ITrain does work with NCE however it doesn’t support it fully for all NCE command stations. The reasons are all down to NCE as they have changed the command interface several times, changed commands and even dropped commands from the interface. This when allied to the very poor documentation for the NCE interface and a lack of engagement from NCE with the ITrain author has placed him in a position where for NCE if it works it works, if not then it doesn’t.

He has however just developed a new patch to make ITrain V5 able to use NCE to a larger extent.

The author is as frustrated as you probably are however the problem lies with NCE and not ITrain.

What feed back units are required for NCE and how do the connect to the NCE system.John.

I understand that they use a NCE AUI to perform the interface however I am not an NCE person and was only summarising, in my words, what has been said on the iTrain forum.

The best person to contact on this subject is probably James @ https://www.dcctrainautomation.co.uk/ on 01823-429309 who, I uynderzstand, has helped another user to get an NCE setup working with iTrain.

I am very happy though ,once you have it connected, to provide you with help and guidance over on the iTrain forum (https://berros.eu/itrain/forum/viewforum.php?f=1) You should be given a login to the forum when you request a trial licence :)

• 2 months later...

With the assistance of Iain Morrison I have been working on a new series of iTrain tutorials.
The first four videos have now been published on YouTube.
Here are the links:

Using iTrain Tutorial Series - Video 01: Installing iTrain https://youtu.be/5jjA2mwRS1U

Using iTrain Tutorial Series - Video 02 Overview https://youtu.be/HkQIi3E6ra0

Using iTrain Tutorial Series - Video 03 Connecting a Command Station https://youtu.be/mnJL5e2z5DA

Using iTrain Tutorial Series - Video 04 v2: Running Locos Manually https://youtu.be/Y-UnPm6fqqg

Using iTrain Tutorial Series - Video 05: Switchboard - Manual Turnout Control https://youtu.be/Rp7fBxkFShM

I hope you find then useful.
Bob

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Good to know that the support for NCE is being improved. I bought myself an NCE Powercab many years ago and also my local club uses Powercab / Powerpro set-ups on all their DCC layouts. Hence I'm not very keen to invest in a different DCC system to support the use of iTrain. However, at this stage, I am a very long way from having a working layout at home, let alone one that supports computer control! It's academic interest at this stage!