Well it turns out I'm really bad at resisting layout ideas, I mean really bad. By my bed I have a large A3 sketch book just full of ideas for micro layouts often inspired by what I see in old photos and what I see being modelled/released at the time. Well this is a perfect example of one of sketches being brought to life. After building Cronton Colliery Sheds and nearly completing distillery yard (I need to update the thread on here) I've already turned my attention to my next layout. If I'm going to be brutally honest, I have found distillery yard a massive project to undertake. It just seems to big and complicated with so many different factors in it so this time I'm downsizing to half the size. I'm back to a 2ft by 1ft design. I hope because of the size I will be able to complete the layout fairly quickly. Now what do I want to model? Well afyer receiving my peckett I really want to go back to modeling a colliery except I would like to capture the more rural side. I'm unsure of the setting and era at this moment but I'll clarify them later. One thing to note with this layout is that there will be no fiddle yard! This is to keep the size down and save me faffing about with baseboard joints etc. I've still got track to order and a baseboard to build but the plan is now set in stone. This layout is very much inspired by 2 threads here on rmweb- "juniper hill" and also "somewhere in Shropshire" .I'd advice you definitely go check them out as they're both very inspiring. I'll keep you posted and sort out a layout name in due course.

• Like 2

Thanks Clover and Chris. I have to agree with you there Chris about Juniper Hill. I came accross it a couple months ago but having read through the thread a few times and buying the back issue of the magazine I was convinced I wanted to do something similar. I'm going to try and copy the track plan but that is space dependant on the headshunts really.

Luke,

I thought I would show that you can build something under 24 x 12 inches. Mine is built on a second-hand pine shelf, the purchased items is the track base as I had some bullhead rail. The low-relief buildings are scratch-built from plasticard, and Wills sheets.

As like you I have a number industrials my layout is based a landsale siding on a colliery system.

Malcolm 

Luke,

I thought I would show that you can build something under 24 x 12 inches. Mine is built on a second-hand pine shelf, the purchased items is the track base as I had some bullhead rail. The low-relief buildings are scratch-built from plasticard, and Wills sheets.

As like you I have a number industrials my layout is based a landsale siding on a colliery system.

Malcolm

Nice to see another colliery being modelled and you've used the space nicely. I think some micro layouts are too crammed but you've got the perfect balance I think.

You’re not alone with having numerous plans for more projects, Luke! Love seeing all the different ideas members come up with. These micro models and boxfile models are great for creating cameos! There are so many collieries to choose from, each with their own history. I have quite an interesting Caledonian Railway Station in mind for a model. It was the collieries which brought the railway first to this area, then the passenger service came later.

Edited by Marly51

Thanks everyone for your kind comments, they're much appreciated. Today some track arrived so I've done a bit more planning on the layout. I'm quite happy with it so I think I'll probably get the baseboard built over the next few days. Firstly, the cat seemed to like interrupting my planning.post-32204-0-94001200-1548264995_thumb.jpg I've laid out all the points and put some rolling stock and some spare buildings to give a basic idea of what it will look like. I'm thinking of putting a road at the front.post-32204-0-46449500-1548265071_thumb.jpg More to come soon.....

• Like 6

Another Micro Man! :sungum:

I have ideas for hundreds of layouts, always hard to pick the right one. I was always interested in harbours, there are not that much in Switzerland... thats why I picked that theme for my new micro.

BTW my cat LOVED my background. It dried on the floor and when he came home he immediately took place on it! After a short meal he came back and sat down again... I removed the background the next morning and he was looking for it when I came home in the evening. It was hillarious, he really was looking everywhere left and right, he looked at me like "there was something there yesterday, where is that? I liked that dude, put it back or I give you a face lifting!!!" :laugh:

Cheerio

Simon

Edited by Class 74

Another Micro Man! :sungum:

I have ideas for hundreds of layouts, always hard to pick the right one. I was always interested in harbours, there are not that much in Switzerland... thats why I picked that theme for my new micro.

BTW my cat LOVED my background. It dried on the floor and when he came home he immediately took place on it! After a short meal he came back and sat down again... I removed the background the next morning and he was looking for it when I came home in the evening. It was hillarious, he really was looking everywhere left and right, he looked at me like "there was something there yesterday, where is that? I liked that dude, put it back or I give you a face lifting!!!" :laugh:

Cheerio

Simon

Hahaha :laugh: my cat is quite protective of the layout. Once she's sat down on it she's on it! I did manage to capture an amusing picture of her squeezing herself below the railway bridge on my other micro distillery yard.

1 hour ago, Slug said:

I am struggling a bit with it too!

I'm very confused. Everything has changed and the layouts seem to be different too. Make take some time to work out how to add some pictures. The layout now has a prototype setting and baseboards built though so I have been able to progress further with the layout. 

• Agree 1

Well I'm still very confused about the new layout of rmweb. It will take some time getting used to it. I thought that know I have conducted my research I will share the setting of the layout. Similar to Cronton Colliery Sheds, I'm basing the layout off a real location, just altering slightly. After recently inheriting what seems to be a mobile library about railways I was pleased to come across a book about the ironstone railways and this provided the inspiration of the setting of my layout. The layout will be blessed of the Byfield system which I have traced onto a couple of os maps for an idea of scale and where the layout will be exactly set. IMG_0225.jpg.a985ea0d2319ed129d192fb436b1133b.jpg the red line shows the route of the railway. I'm setting my layout just after the level crossing North West of the Westbury text. I'll highlight it at a later date so its more obvious. I've really wanted to model a level crossing and I was able to find some pictures of it so I will try and model it as accurately as possible. I will add a y point in for operational interest and say that this is a 'stores siding' for general wagons and wagons full of tools that would be on the way to the quarry face. As of yesterday I went outside in the snow and built the baseboards. A 2ft by 10 inch scenic board and a removable 1ft by 10inch fiddle yard. IMG_20190202_090522138.jpg.0748cc88677db62b775f09c2df734902.jpg the level crossing will be to the right of the board in the headshunt. Here's a quick picture of the real place.35.12May30No3AvonsidecrossesByfieldtoUpperBoddingtonroadfromquarrytowardsSMJ.jpg.0f9e18eeee15a553e336d91572cf07b9.jpg hopefully this looks of interest to some of you. Ill hopefully start track laying and wiring later/tomorrow as I'm working today but it's nice to finally progress with this layout. Now i can't wait to get some scenery down!

• Like 4
  • Agree 2