Place name generator.

PhilJ W

• RMweb Gold

You definitely need to check the generated name to see if it is actually a real place - like Eastbourne - or a very close match - Catcote for Catcott - which I spotted, with a couple of others, when I took the generator for a few spins.

I get disappointed when I see a layout advertised on a magazine front and it bears no relation to the real place or it is a significantly fictionalized version of somewhere I know. I won't name names because I got told off for criticizing the use of a suburban Southern electric station's name for a layout based in the West Country.

So I support the idea of this generator, if it helps people to get a realistic sounding name, without using that of a real place, when they are not modelling that place.

• Like 1

BTW a Scot once told me there were 2 easy ways to create realistic sounding Scottish place names.

1) Pick an obscure Celtic saint and put Kirk or Kil in front of the name. ("Church of Saint X")

2) Pick the Gaelic derivative of a Norse name and put Achna in front of the it. ("Field belonging to X")

Cheers

David

• Like 2

That is an interesting idea.

The first three or four spins I did generated names that, to me, were clearly northern sounding.

I think it better if a layout name is typical of the part of the country it attempts to represent.

For example there were not many Viking settlements in the West Country.

cheers

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It appears to work by taking two or more existing place names and cutting and splicing them. For example Romford and Hornchurch could become Romchurch and Hornford. The problem with that is that many place names have a Celtic, Anglo-Saxon or Norman root* and to mix these up can give an unrealistic sounding name. *There are others to choose from.

• Like 1