Identify all BAA wagons with yellow ends

faa77

Bachmann produced two BAA models with yellow ends (see images below). Of the 305 BAA wagons built, how many were painted in these liveries?

UPDATE the metal sector one is unique, but here is a list of yellow-ended BAAs without sector decals:

38-351_27242_Qty1_3.jpg

38-351A_1047130_Qty1_3.jpg

Edited by faa77
  • Like 2

I don't know of exact number painted but I have seen pics/video of 6-8 yellow ended BZA mixed with tiphook hooded steal carriers at Bescot and and a train of around 10 between Tees yard and Middlesbrough. There's pic of a 56 with a short train passing Thornaby with a BBA also.

Edited by RP82

• RMweb Premium

900205 in Railfreight Metals was as mentioned above, the only one painted so.

Wasn't the unique one the experimental one with inboard axle boxes?

Didn't that end up as a Winfrith flask carrier?

(Goes to look for a pic as I have posted one somewhere.....)

Found it - 900230

Not inboard axle boxes, so possibly another one with experimental bogies.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

It was unique as far as I’m aware (as always always happy to be proved wrong but until I am I shall continue to chuckle at shows when I see more than two on a layout ;) ).

Griff

So one with metals sector logo? What about the second model without the metals sector logo?

I don't know of exact number painted but I have seen pics/video of 6-8 yellow ended BZA mixed with tiphook hooded steal carriers at Bescot and and a train of around 10 between Tees yard and Middlesbrough. There's pic of a 56 with a short train passing Thornaby with a BBA also.

Should I infer from this there were at least 10 with yellow ends, without the metals sector logo?

• RMweb Gold

That's the one, if you had it in a train the tops list would have a warning about it.

Seem to remember it having in built hot box detectors.

No idea what happened to it

The Winfrith one isn't there anymore would have thought it only went there for loading those experimental flasks as there is only sidings there no internal railway

BAA 900230 and 900272 both had experimental bogies working in steel traffic , 900230 then joined 900115 as the second FOA flask carrier from Winfrith ( 900115 was also ferry fitted when it was a BAA to work abroad and numbered 31-70-4343-000-4  there is a pic in an old Railway Magazine of it at Llanwern) , there are also pics of 900230 as a FOA still with its ends and decking , this was later removed and replaced with  a stainless steel floor. As for the yellow ended BAA they possibly worked from Lackenby with eye to sky coil to Hartlepool ? for the pipe mill . As for 900205 it was unique , it was painted into these colours along with a BOA , BBA , SPA , BMA , BDA , IIRC . As Bachmann have only released the BAA with red ends on one type of there models so far , an option is to repaint them and cut out the middle section to make them BZA

post-19557-0-31420400-1548003610_thumb.jpg

Edited by bazjones1711

BAA 900230 and 900272 both had experimental bogies working in steel traffic , 900230 then joined 900115 as the second FOA flask carrier from Winfrith ( 900115 was also ferry fitted when it was a BAA to work abroad and numbered 31-70-4343-000-4 there is a pic in an old Railway Magazine of it at Llanwern) , there are also pics of 900230 as a FOA still with its ends and decking , this was later removed and replaced with a stainless steel floor. As for the yellow ended BAA they possibly worked from Lackenby with eye to sky coil to Hartlepool ? for the pipe mill . As for 900205 it was unique , it was painted into these colours along with a BOA , BBA , SPA , BMA , BDA , IIRC . As Bachmann have only released the BAA with red ends on one type of there models so far , an option is to repaint them and cut out the middle section to make them BZA

bza.jpg

Iv been looking through pics on https://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/ this afternoon and it seems that some BZAs have had their cradles removed at some point and others have had cradles fitted but not had the middle of the ends cut out Edited by RP82

Most if not all of the BAA ( 900000 to 900124 the ones with the first design full ends ) that were in coil traffic with cradles in late 80's / early 90's worked from BSC Lackenby to the likes of Corby , Blackburn , Cardiff had there middle section remove to make them easier to unload by C hook , others without the middle section removed worked from Grimsby to various with imported coil , Ravenscraig to Cardiff / BSC Orb . In later years as the wagons moved pools  , you're right some BZA had cradles removed  and others still with their middle section received cradles . If i can find my list i have all the TOPS  pools of the BAA from 1989 , will post when i find them