Identify all BAA wagons with yellow ends

faa77

• RMweb Gold

Sorry for the earlier misleading post that was after I left up there, I wonder what the 60 is doing on the back on the train at cargo fleet.

In my time at Thornaby the Hartlepool was eye to the sky on BBAs

Found a pool of BBA wagons that ran from Lackenby to Hartlepool with large eye to sky coil for the pipe mill .

Pool 4107 BSC Lackenby - Hartlepool coil
910007,010,015,031,032,034,038,040,058,067,068,077,089,105,109,169,391,436,460,540.
Total 20

this pool is from around 1989 /90 IIRC

• Like 1

Maybe the answer to the question ! depends on what traffic you want to use the Bachmann  BAA for .

https://www.flickr.com/photos/northeastheavy60/24253545885/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/northeastheavy60/21094611191/

These appear to be post privatisation and was probably done to increase visibility in the sheds for the benefit of the coil crane operators!

The one produced by Bachmann is probably a one off to launch Metal Sector.

Mark Saunders

These appear to be post privatisation and was probably done to increase visibility in the sheds for the benefit of the coil crane operators!

The one produced by Bachmann is probably a one off to launch Metal Sector.

Mark Saunders

There are two different Bachmann models with yellow ends. The one with metals sector decal (900205) was unique. However, the second model (38-151a) has a design multiple wagons seem to have had.

Edited by faa77

Quite a few steel carriers recieved yellow or white upper surfaces to their ends; as Mark Saunders surmises, it was to help overhead crane drivers pick out the ends when placing loads. Loading bays at steelworks are very dusty places, as my father's car used to bear witness. The first mention I've seen of the practice was in a HMRI report on a derailment on the Swansea District Line, in the late 1960s/ early 1970s- the train was conveying ingots from the Duport works at Llanelli to the rolling mills at Briton Ferry. The crane driver had placed some of the ingots half over the wagon ends, and eventually one or two fell between the wagons, with predictable consequences. One of the Inspector's recommendations was to pick out the ends with light-coloured paint. This was on Plate wagons, but I have seen the same thing on bogie bolsters and other types.