Bachmann 009 Baguley-Drewery Shunter

happyChappy

Great news from Hattons is that Bachmann is planning an 009 Baguley-Drewery diesel loco:

https://www.hattons.co.uk/432094/Bachmann_Branchline_392_026_Baguley_Drewery_4_wheel_70hp_diesel_shunter_in_plain_green__Price_is_estimated_/StockDetail.aspx

However, information that the Hunslet quarry locos are still at the early design stage suggests that we may have to wait a long time for this new model to appear. Shouldn't be a difficult model to produce though as those side skirts result in no complicated motion to replicate.

My Narrow Planet version may have some serious competition to contend with as I've never been happy with the hugely over length wheelbase of the Kato chassis it runs on.

Interesting times for us 009 modellers.

HC

I'm looking forward to this loco and the RNAD wagons too!

Me too. It’s a shame that the announcement comes shortly after the release of kits for the loco and wagons (I think in both cases duplicated by two separate manufacturers) but should be good nonetheless. Obviously the locos are widely used on preserved lines, but does anyone know whether these or similar locos have operated in (non-RNAD/military) industry at all?

To the best of my knowledge, these narrow gauge BDs were all new to MoD depots. I wrote an article for Moseley Matters on these locos (we have loco 3756). In summary, the first batch were works numbers 3698 to 3701. Ordered in 1973 for delivery in 1974, these four locos were built to 24” gauge. They were new to the Chilmark depot in Wiltshire. In the late 1980s, all four transferred to the Eastriggs depot near Carlisle. These locos were rated at 60hp, and had a Brockhouse transmission. Visually, they are markedly smaller than the later locomotives, with a much lower bonnet line. The second batch of locos followed on. Locos 3751-56 (excluding 3754) were five 30” gauge, 60 hp locos. All went to the depot at Trecwm, in West Wales. 3751-3 were new in 1980, 3755 & 6 were new in 1981. All five went to the Dean Hill depot (near Salisbury) in 1994. 3775 and 3776 followed on in 1983, but were built to 1000mm gauge for the depot at Royal Navy depot at Milford Haven. Otherwise, they were identical to 3751-56. In 1990, these locos moved to Dean Hill for storage after Milford Haven closed.

The final batch were seven more powerful locos. These had the Perkins engine pushed to 99hp, and were fitted with a Twin Disc transmission. They are visually similar to the preceding locos, except that they have three removable doors per side, whereas the earlier locos had two such doors. 3764 was new in 1983, followed by 3779 & 3780 the same year, and 3781-4 in 1984. All were built to 30” gauge and all were new to the Trecwm site. 

• Informative/Useful 1

To the best of my knowledge, these narrow gauge BDs were all new to MoD depots. I wrote an article for Moseley Matters on these locos (we have loco 3756). In summary, the first batch were works numbers 3698 to 3701. Ordered in 1973 for delivery in 1974, these four locos were built to 24” gauge. They were new to the Chilmark depot in Wiltshire. In the late 1980s, all four transferred to the Eastriggs depot near Carlisle. These locos were rated at 60hp, and had a Brockhouse transmission. Visually, they are markedly smaller than the later locomotives, with a much lower bonnet line. The second batch of locos followed on. Locos 3751-56 (excluding 3754) were five 30” gauge, 60 hp locos. All went to the depot at Trecwm, in West Wales. 3751-3 were new in 1980, 3755 & 6 were new in 1981. All five went to the Dean Hill depot (near Salisbury) in 1994. 3775 and 3776 followed on in 1983, but were built to 1000mm gauge for the depot at Royal Navy depot at Milford Haven. Otherwise, they were identical to 3751-56. In 1990, these locos moved to Dean Hill for storage after Milford Haven closed.

The final batch were seven more powerful locos. These had the Perkins engine pushed to 99hp, and were fitted with a Twin Disc transmission. They are visually similar to the preceding locos, except that they have three removable doors per side, whereas the earlier locos had two such doors. 3764 was new in 1983, followed by 3779 & 3780 the same year, and 3781-4 in 1984. All were built to 30” gauge and all were new to the Trecwm site.

Thanks for this. I hadn’t realised there were metre gauge ones as well. Since the 2ft ones were slightly smaller I expect they won’t be closely represented - Bachmann seem to be basing their model on the 2’ 6” ones (some of which have been regauged to 2ft in preservation). They probably came too late to find secondhand use anywhere other than in preservation, due to generally declining use of industrial narrow gauge railways. I’m sure I saw a picture somewhere of an industrial loco (i.e. supplied new to a non-military, non-passenger/preserved line) to a similar design, but I can’t be completely sure.

To the best of my knowledge, these narrow gauge BDs were all new to MoD depots. I wrote an article for Moseley Matters on these locos (we have loco 3756). In summary, the first batch were works numbers 3698 to 3701. Ordered in 1973 for delivery in 1974, these four locos were built to 24” gauge. They were new to the Chilmark depot in Wiltshire. In the late 1980s, all four transferred to the Eastriggs depot near Carlisle. These locos were rated at 60hp, and had a Brockhouse transmission.

An excellent and detailed summary you've provided. These MOD sites must have been fascinating places for all things narrow gauge but off-limits to the general public. There seems to be lots of reference to RNAD sites although Chilmark depot, (and it's satellite sites), were owned by the Air Ministry for RAF armaments. The Chilmark depot survived until the mid 1990s and there's a video preview of it's sub-site at Dinton available here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZu1lVZzES4

Note the bogie wagons in use which I don't believe survived into preservation, (anyone know differently?), yet they look to be in excellent condition. One thing of note is that even at the time this video was recorded, which was whilst Dinton was being cleared in the mid 90s, everything is very neat and tidy. Some track is even secured with Pandrol clips!

HC

• RMweb Premium

It’s a shame that the announcement comes shortly after the release of kits for the loco and wagons

My feeling is that it's actually really positive news. The 60hp (or 70hp if you prefer) loco, which in my view is slightly more attractively proportioned than the 99hp*, was always a harder sell for us as it required a kit chassis. The 99hp kit has been available for 6 years now and is very definitely at the long tail stage of it's sales lifespan. It's also quite pleasing validation that we made a good choice in selecting the prototype in the first place, considering Bachmann are likely to need to sell an order of magnitude more than we have to make it a worthwhile investment - they have obviously concluded that this is possible.

The 009 Society RNAD rolling stock kits have a significant strength over RTR in that they are brilliantly kit-bashable. As Bachmann noted the underframe has found many uses in preservation and I think the kit versions are the perfect starting point for this - long may they continue!

* relative term, neither of them are exactly beautiful, although that is part of their appeal!
Edited by cornelius
  • Like 3

I’m sure I saw a picture somewhere of an industrial loco (i.e. supplied new to a non-military, non-passenger/preserved line) to a similar design, but I can’t be completely sure.

Some similar looking, but larger ones were built for export (and, in some cases, part built when they went bust). The loco that later became Harlech Castle on the FR originally looked like this. The similar looking VoR No.10 was built from bankrupt stock parts. These 0-6-0s were the last of a line that dated back to the 1940s.

Edited by BernardTPM
  • Like 1

My feeling is that it's actually really positive news. The 60hp (or 70hp if you prefer) loco, which in my view is slightly more attractively proportioned than the 99hp*, was always a harder sell for us as it required a kit chassis. The 99hp kit has been available for 6 years now and is very definitely at the long tail stage of it's sales lifespan. It's also quite pleasing validation that we made a good choice in selecting the prototype in the first place, considering Bachmann are likely to need to sell an order of magnitude more than we have to make it a worthwhile investment - they have obviously concluded that this is possible.

I agree about it being really positive news and also your view on the attractive proportions of the smaller 60/70HP version. Another positive note is that the proposed Bachmann chassis may be of use under a wider range of diesel loco body kits that may now be feasible for smaller batch production. The 99HP version has served us well though and will continue pottering around my MOD layout even after it's smaller cousin arrives.

HC

Some similar looking, but larger ones were built for export (and, in some cases, part built when they went bust). The loco that later became Harlech Castle on the FR originally looked like this. The similar looking VoR No.10 was built from bankrupt stock parts. These 0-6-0s were the last of a line that dated back to the 1940s.

Interesting photos. Did the smaller 60/70HP versions with side-skirts also have connecting rods fitted but hidden away and invisible behind the skirts or were they free of conn rods?

The smaller ones did not have coupling rods, final drive was by chains.

Thanks - that's good news. The chassis should therefore be very simple and straightforward with the best chance of running well. Coupling rods on tiny models often seem to cause difficulties. HC

Edited by happyChappy

An excellent and detailed summary you've provided. These MOD sites must have been fascinating places for all things narrow gauge but off-limits to the general public. There seems to be lots of reference to RNAD sites although Chilmark depot, (and it's satellite sites), were owned by the Air Ministry for RAF armaments. The Chilmark depot survived until the mid 1990s and there's a video preview of it's sub-site at Dinton available here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZu1lVZzES4

Note the bogie wagons in use which I don't believe survived into preservation, (anyone know differently?), yet they look to be in excellent condition. One thing of note is that even at the time this video was recorded, which was whilst Dinton was being cleared in the mid 90s, everything is very neat and tidy. Some track is even secured with Pandrol clips!

HC

The Ffestiniog Have a few of those bogie wagons (without the ends), and very useful they are too. Mainly used for carrying rail, but have been put into all sorts of use.

They were initially on loan, but I believe (could be wrong!) they are now fully part of the FR fleet.

The Ffestiniog Have a few of those bogie wagons (without the ends), and very useful they are too. Mainly used for carrying rail, but have been put into all sorts of use.

They were initially on loan, but I believe (could be wrong!) they are now fully part of the FR fleet.

Thanks for the info. Good to hear they've survived and are being put to good use. I wonder if anyone has any photos of them on the FR?

HC

The smaller ones did not have coupling rods, final drive was by chains.

The axleboxes and springs are mounted on the inside of the frames. They have sealed twin ball race bearings in each axlebox and no lubrication is required between overhauls - the only way to access them is to drop the complete wheelset with axleboxes and springs out from underneath. The axles are chain coupled together, and there is a single drive chain from a dropbox to the rear axle. Air brakes only with one shoe per wheel, again mounted on the inside of the frame.

Thanks for the info. Good to hear they've survived and are being put to good use. I wonder if anyone has any photos of them on the FR?

HC

This is a bit of a tangent from the topic, as unfortunately they aren't being produced by Bachmann (at this stage anyway!) - but see here:

https://www.festipedia.org.uk/wiki/MoDs

Apologies in advance for any days lost looking around the rest of Festipedia...

Edited by Jub45565
  • Informative/Useful 1