Book of GWR Station Layouts?

OnTheBranchline

A few ideas, maybe use combination of:

• An Historical Survey of Selected Great Western Stations: Layouts and Illustrations by R.H Clark 4 volumes I think
  • Or use an old map service, though can't necessarily be relied on. Peverseley for a united kingdom it's the library of scotland I think that offers best, oldmaps.co.uk has got lots of restrictions[/size][/font]
  • Or squint at the selection of signal diagrams on the SRS website
  • Informative/Useful 1

Also look at An historical survey of Great Western engine sheds, 1947 by ET Lyons. Many stations had engine sheds attached and is useful as it shows railway infrastructure that the OP maps ignore.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/historical-survey-Great-Western-engine/dp/0902888161

The Middleton Press series of books also have decent maps and track diagrams.

https://www.middletonpress.co.uk/

Jason

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

A few ideas, maybe use combination of:

• An Historical Survey of Selected Great Western Stations: Layouts and Illustrations by R.H Clark 4 volumes I think
  • Or use an old map service, though can't necessarily be relied on. Peverseley for a united kingdom it's the library of scotland I think that offers best, oldmaps.co.uk has got lots of restrictions[/size][/font]
  • Or squint at the selection of signal diagrams on the SRS website

Not all 4 volumes are by RH Clark. Not being pedantic but it will affect the ease of seeking them out in a book shop or library.

I think that not all are currently in print but should not be difficult to find secondhand.

V

Not all 4 volumes are by RH Clark. Not being pedantic but it will affect the ease of seeking them out in a book shop or library.

I think that not all are currently in print but should not be difficult to find secondhand.

Volume 4 is by C.R. Potts

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Chris Potts did the fourth after RH Clark had died.

There is a 2 volume list of all GWR stations as at 1947 published by R J Smith, each has a basic diagram and most have a thumbnail size photo

Keith

• RMweb Gold

It all depends what you want.  The RJ Smith books appear to reproduce what was known in the industry as 'single line diagrams' which means they show what was there at a particular (possibly unknown) date and it will be in the form of basically a straight line for the principal running line(s).  

The very best source of all for GWR/WR track layouts is RA Cooke's superb series 'Track Layout Diagrams of the GWR and BR (WR) published nowadays by Lightmoor Press and in the revised editions sometimes including photos.  The problem is that many are out of print but Tony is gradually revising them and the level of dated detail changes is unbeatable anywhere in print or on the 'net

http://lightmoor.co.uk/category.php?section=Track%20Plans

Best source for relating the railway to its surroundings is old OS Maps but they tend to be poor on detail as railway layouts were not revised except at major re-surveys but they do at least show curvature and relative positions of things reasonably well.

There are two sources for signalling - the first is the SRS DVDs (you only get thumbnails on the website unless you are a member) and the other source is the late George Pryer's series 'Signal Box Diagrams of the Great Western & Southern Railways - which are organised by section of route.  They are out of print and don't cover the whole GWR but are well worth it if you are interested in any particular place or area.  There are occasional errors in George's diagrams but generally they are pretty reliable and equally errors are not unknown in the SRS diagrams either.

Incidentally as far as signalling is concerned the R H Clark series is also prone to errors and its nit unusual to find the drawing disagrees with the photos although most of that is probably down to changes over the years.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

I would second Stationmaster's recommendation for the RA Cooke Track Layout Diagram series; The detail provided, particularly of the changes made over the years, is incredible.

Absolutely - back in the early part of the '90s when we both worked for the same part of the railway industry I got to know Tony and one day I asked him if he would be interested in seeing some signal and track layout alteration notices I had which dated from the 1930s.  He almost bit my hand off cheerfully adding to his database in one case some layout changes which were a temporary job for a matter or weeks before restoration to what had previously been there - that is the sort and level of detail he has searched out over the years.  

And his 'Atlas of the GWR' published by Wild Swan Atlas (also out of print alas) is still much sought after and commands high prices for copies in good condition - no use for track layouts but unbeatable as an atlas and gazetteer of the GWR just prior to nationalisation.

• Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...

Last Saturday I picked up a second hand copy of volume 3 of R H Clarkes selected great western stations for £12 50 .  It seems Mr Clarke died while writing the third volume And Mr potts had to finish it off .  I am now on the lookout for volume 4.

As an aside as far as I am aware no books on LNER track plans were ever printed which is a great pity.  But I do own a book on track plans of the stour valley line between Marks Tey and Shelford. There was also a second book covering other GER branch lines in that sort of area but I have never seen one of them on a second hand stall yet ! .

• Informative/Useful 1

I have used 'An historical survey of selected Great Western stations' all volumes - RH Clark; for plans and the Great Western Branch line modelling series - Stephen Williams; for general ideas and plans.

Additionally if you have an exact location to use or base a plan on historical ordnance survey maps online or 'Britain from Above' - online historical pictures from the air give a real good feel for the on the day in history.