Barnums and Bulldogs--to Line or not to Line

Hello, all.

Here is a question about some locos late in their prime.  By "late," I refer to the immediately pre-WWI years.  I'd like to know whether the older Dean classes still in service, such as the Barnums, would have worn boiler and cab lining during this period, or like most of the tank locos gone unlined into their declining years.  Among the projects awaiting me are a Barnum and a couple Bulldogs from kits that need nearly total re-working, and repainting will be required.

There are two or three photos of Barnums in this period among the books I have to hand, but they don't show clearly any lining.  (They were action shots, not poses.)  Thanks for any advice.

Edited by p8kpev

G'day, p8kpev,

I've been gathering data on the Barnums for some time, as I prepare to scratchbuild my own 00 model.

One of several images I have found on the Web is this one, taken in 1910, which does show lining clearly on the tender. http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrkd1602.htm

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Rob

G'day again,

Among many early published pictures on books in my own library, I did find one showing lining on a Barnum in the pre-WW1 period.

On page 31 of Roger Carpenter: "An Edwardian Album of Great Western Passenger Classes" (Wild Swan, 1983) there is an image of 3207, with round-top boiler, taken in 1904 heading a local train to Didcot. Other images of Barnums in that book do not clearly show any lining.

Lining of this class seems to have disappeared during the pre-WW1 period.

I look forward to comments from other contributors.

Regards,

Rob