Marly51

While researching photos for a History Society post on a 1950s train journey from Edinburgh Waverley to Sutherland, I came across an old ‘Scotsman’ newspaper article. The images reminded me of early school summer holiday journeys, travelling North to stay with grandparents in the Highlands. An old taxi cab was booked to transport us and our luggage to Waverley Station. The first stop before joining the queue for the train, was the John Menzies newstand to buy our favourite comics for the journey.

My CakeBox, which I still have to plan, will be based on the road ramp down to the station, where the taxi rank was located down one side, and a corner of the bookstall/newspaper stand, with lots of figures waiting for the station staff to allow them to board the train North.

The model will be 4mm Scale/00 Gauge with a small section of track, platform, newspaper stand using elements from a paper kit by Wordsworth Model Railway, W&T whitemetal Taxi Kits, Model Scene gas lamps and various model figures, including passengers and railway staff.

IMG_2317.JPG.cf4c12f84e546af0d00a6bdba48fdb5b.JPG

Edited by Marly51
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

While researching photos for a History Society post on a 1950s train journey from Edinburgh Waverley to Sutherland, I came across an old ‘Scotsman’ newspaper article. The images reminded me of early school summer holiday journeys, travelling North to stay with grandparents in the Highlands. An old taxi cab was booked to transport us and our luggage to Waverley Station. The first stop before joining the queue for the train, was the John Menzies newstand to buy our favourite comics for the journey.

My CakeBox, which I still have to plan will be based on the road ramp down to the station, where the taxi rank was located down one side, and a corner of the bookstall/newspaper stand, with lots of figures waiting for the station staff to allow them to board the train North.

The model will be 4mm Scale/00 Gauge with a small section of track, platform, newspaper stand using elements from a paper kit by Wordsworth Model Railway, W&T whitemetal Taxi Kits, Model Scene gas lamps and various model figures, including passengers and railway staff.

attachicon.gifC7F3263D-4B51-486E-9174-0BCE0F6E9246.jpeg

attachicon.gifD8523BF3-139C-4568-A4EF-652C5A0A0ED4.jpeg

attachicon.gif54ADCA0D-0E43-44A3-9472-15495E43D000.jpeg

attachicon.gif024F476C-6A52-4EAA-B84B-68AD1945408B.jpeg

attachicon.gif24732162-5A7B-4CB6-B9FA-CDEC05AFB7C6.jpeg

Looks like your going to have all the ingredients for a scene full of atmosphere.

Looking forward to how it progresses.

All the best

Mark

Looks like fun. I used to go up to the Edinburgh Fringe Festival fairly regularly, so Edinburgh Waverley is one of those stations that's very special to me. I look forward to seeing your interpretation.

I loved the Fringe in the 1960s/1970s! It’s a huge event now - love Edinburgh, but happy to be living a slower pace of life in the country these days.

• Like 1

In my search for photos of the timber panel detailing of the old booking offices and news stand at Waverley, found these two.

IMG_3006.PNG.bdf39d85d2875c3876e5739c5829c599.PNG

“The cabinetwork booking offices on the western concourse at Waverley Station until they were destroyed in the name of modernisation in 1970. (1960s photographer unknown) Ref: ewstation.livejournal.com

“Central booking office in the Waverley Booking Hall, designed by James Bell, Chief Engineer for the North British Railway in 1868-74, to replace an earlier station on the same site. At the time of opening its 13 acre glass roof was one of the largest in the world.” (This booking office was also dismantled in 1970) Ref: jdwetherspoon.com

Edited by Marly51
  • Like 3

In my search for photos of the timber panel detailing of the old booking offices and news stand at Waverley, found these two.

attachicon.gif9F697501-4088-48C3-8535-A82050E53387.jpeg

“The cabinetwork booking offices on the western concourse at Waverley Station until they were destroyed in the name of modernisation in 1970. (1960s photographer unknown) Ref: ewstation.livejournal.com

attachicon.gif24BB2619-BF2E-422F-AA6C-B38D4BCAD7BC.jpeg

“Central booking office in the Waverley Booking Hall, designed by James Bell, Chief Engineer for the North British Railway in 1868-74, to replace an earlier station on the same site. At the time of opening its 13 acre glass roof was one of the largest in the world.” (This booking office was also dismantled in 1970) Ref: jdwetherspoon.com

Just in case it is not obvious, I think those two structures are differant.  The top one is obviously out in the open part of the station whilst the lower picture is taken within the enlosed booking office area, you can see the interior and  ceiling of the booking hall in the background of the lower photo.  They are interesting photos.

Best wishes

Roddy

Just in case it is not obvious, I think those two structures are differant. The top one is obviously out in the open part of the station whilst the lower picture is taken within the enlosed booking office area, you can see the interior and ceiling of the booking hall in the background of the lower photo. They are interesting photos.

Best wishes

Roddy

You are right Roddy - one is the ‘North & West’ booking office, a section of which I am modelling. The other, which is more ornate with finials on the roof balustrade, is the booking office in the Central Booking Hall, but a useful reference for the general panel framework. Both of these booking offices are far more elegant and imposing than the mish mash of modern structures within some of our traditional station buildings today.

Marlyn

Edited by Marly51

Here is my card mock-up of the proposed model. I have used some cheap Chinese figures for the main ‘body of the kirk’ and will use better detailed figures, as well, to create little scenarios at the edge of the queue, with passengers disembarking from the taxi in the foreground. I have reduced the length of the newsstand so that there is just enough room for the terminal tracks where there will be a railing with railway staff in attendance. I need to find more references for the wall on either side of the ramped approach, but not likely to be in Edinburgh before the end of March. Some educated guesswork needed! But first I must finish my 2018 Cakebox entry!!!

Edited by Marly51
Images no longer available
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Here is my card mock-up of the proposed model. I have used some cheap Chinese figures for the main ‘body of the kirk’ and will use better detailed figures, as well, to create little scenarios at the edge of the queue, with passengers disembarking from the taxi in the foreground. I have reduced the length of the newsstand so that there is just enough room for the terminal tracks where there will be a railing with railway staff in attendance. I need to find more references for the wall on either side of the ramped approach, but not likely to be in Edinburgh before the end of March. Some educated guesswork needed! But first I must finish my 2018 Cakebox entry!!!

attachicon.gif913B8469-7778-4146-9989-8C412661E19A.jpeg

attachicon.gifC7F78900-E849-447B-ABED-60991BB8C32E.jpeg

attachicon.gifF8191CB9-8ACA-47C7-B6DA-BC2932D039F2.jpeg

Great looking mock up Martyn

Really shows off the potential of how your CBC will look.

Do you have any volunteers you can enlist with painting the figures?

All the best

Mark

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

That's really well conceived and designed. The throng in the middle can be painted fairly simply and then, as you mention, the ones along the outer edges can be given a bit more attention with the brush.

Your photo of the newsstand is delightful. Will you be adding all those frontpages?! Here are two of my period favourites from another newsstand. Strangely contemporary, somehow  :)

post-738-0-12253300-1548708805.jpg

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/28/2019 at 7:01 PM, Mikkel said:

That's really well conceived and designed. The throng in the middle can be painted fairly simply and then, as you mention, the ones along the outer edges can be given a bit more attention with the brush.

Your photo of the newsstand is delightful. Will you be adding all those frontpages?! Here are two of my period favourites from another newsstand. Strangely contemporary, somehow  :)

post-738-0-12253300-1548708805.jpg

Thanks for the photo, Mikkel! Yes it’s an opportunity to replicate old newspaper boards, magazines, etc.

• Like 1

Found another old photo online, with a bit more detail of the walls on the taxi ramp leading to the station. More decorative than I remembered. There was no photographer credit, unfortunately.

BDE5A60A-45C0-43D3-B58F-6D2FF56DB211.jpeg

Edited by Marly51
  • Like 4

I have the baseboard and backing board cut from plywood, but waiting for some etched kits from Scalelink before making a start on the road ramp with the tiered sections of walls. 

Model Railway Scenery railings will be fine for the fenced-off platform to the rear of the model.

A87B6EB7-7EB4-4E80-ADC3-213A2A033D9F.jpeg.227b67b1569ec3dc8a31b2854c107788.jpeg

Edited by Marly51
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Longmire - I’ve not been on the Forum much this last fortnight! I’m one of these mad people who try to work on more than one modelmaking project at a time! Will post more this week! 

Marlyn

• Friendly/supportive 2

• 1 month later...

With two CakeBox entries still to be finished, I am still keeping the two threads going. Unfortunately a larger layout project is taking up most of my time at present, but modelmaking is something I love.

Here are some of my progress images of the build. As with my Steampunk CB I have used scrap materials for the build with a few purchased railway related  items. I thought I would take advantage of the free downloadable paper textures and kits from Wordsworth Model Railway http://www.wordsworthmodelrailway.co.uk/index.html - Mike created these kits as fillers for his own large layout and generously shares them online.

4mm ply base, with scrap dressed timber which, with a card surface, is just about right for scale platform height.

Corrugated card base from a computer printer box. I keep a stash of good quality card from packaging materials. I have left a gap for the 6” high plywood backdrop.

Using double thickness cereal box card (see earlier mock-up), covered in Wordsworth Model Railway ‘cobbles’ and ‘pavement’ papers, plus Clever Models ‘concrete’ texture paper for the platform and main station surface.

Edited by Marly51
Photographs no longer available.
  • Like 6