Marly51

Approximately 70 cheap figures (100 for £1.99 from China), primed and ready for painting!!! I find I can transform some of these figures with some careful cutting and repositioning of limbs, but am just using them as they come out of the packet for this project.

Edited by Marly51
  • Like 5

• 5 weeks later...

Still working on this model! The taxis are getting their final gloss paint coat at the same time as some old tinplate sleepers for my third CakeBox. I am painting the figures in batches, but getting there. Trying to source more old 1950s newspaper front pages and billboards for the newsstand.

Edited by Marly51
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...

This is what 70 cheap Chinese figures look like when they have been painted!  All the ladies now have skirts (instead of leggings and trousers) made from some tissue, which is more appropriate for the 1950s!

100D1EDD-4843-484B-AE1D-6655602177E5.jpeg.fafb60866e0bcb9614fd2164014a7a01.jpeg

Edited by Marly51
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

• RMweb Premium

As I understand it, it'd be perfectly OK to submit this for round 3 of this year's cakebox challenge, given the theme of "Holidays."

This would give till the end of September to put the final diorama together.

I'm certain the good Mr. Parker said - when launching round 2 - that it was OK to include or even resubmit existing cakebox models if the theme was relevant. Just a thought, Keith.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

As I understand it, it'd be perfectly OK to submit this for round 3 of this year's cakebox challenge, given the theme of "Holidays."

This would give till the end of September to put the final diorama together.

I'm certain the good Mr. Parker said - when launching round 2 - that it was OK to include or even resubmit existing cakebox models if the theme was relevant. Just a thought, Keith.

Thanks, Keith! I managed to submit my entry for Round 2, but have been a bit tardy with the first two cake box challenges. This  ‘Waiting for the Train’ model was based on my own experience in the 1950s, and an old ‘Scotsman’ photo of the familiar queues waiting to board holiday trains at Waverley! This model should be completed quite soon!

Marlyn

Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

The excellent BTF production 'The Elizabethan' features the forecourt at Waverly with a number of long glimpses of the newstands.

Cheers

Jack

1 hour ago, Jack Benson said:

Hi,

The excellent BTF production 'The Elizabethan' features the forecourt at Waverly with a number of long glimpses of the newstands.

Cheers

Jack

Many thanks for the link to this brilliant film, Jack. The detail is so clear in these black and white films! I recognise the Edinburgh locations near the end. Lots of children playing in the streets back in the 1950s and early 1960s. There is also a 1950s film called ‘The Singing Street’ in the National Library of Scotland Archive with children playing street games and singing on the Waverley Steps leading from Princes Street down to the Station.

Marlyn

• Informative/Useful 1

Further to Keith Addenbrooke’s suggestion, I have decided that this model can be my entry for CakeBox 3 round of the challenge with the ‘Holidays’ theme.

Working on the John Menzies news stand and backscene view along the platforms from Waverley Station towards The Mound, at present. I am having a go at creating miniature printouts of period newspapers, comics, posters, advertisements, etc. :mda:

Edited by Marly51
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 07/07/2019 at 13:12, Marly51 said:

This is what 70 cheap Chinese figures look like when they have been painted!

Fantastic work, I'm impressed! Where did you source your figures from? - Don't say China! Have looked at a certain internet auction site without finding anything as cheap nor all standing up... Look really good painted I'm very impressed. 

Thanks

Ralf

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Ralf said:

Fantastic work, I'm impressed! Where did you source your figures from? - Don't say China! Have looked at a certain internet auction site without finding anything as cheap nor all standing up... Look really good painted I'm very impressed. 

Thanks

Ralf

Not THAT certain auction site, Ralf! I try to avoid using Amazon, but could not find these figures anywhere else! Unpainted, they are as cheap as £1.71 for 100. A bit underscale, but OK for my crowd scene here. I have the 1:150 figures from the same range for my Brienz cakebox. :) (Not looking forward to painting those, even with magnifying lenses!)

Edited by Marly51
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Marly51 said:

Not THAT certain auction site, Ralf! I try to avoid using Amazon, but could not find these figures anywhere else! Unpainted, they are as cheap as £1.71 for 100. A bit underscale, but OK for my crowd scene here. 

Fab many thanks, I seem to have a bag full on their way! 

Out of curiosity I had a look at how much the scale difference would make as I had no idea but suspected it'd be imperceptible... The results 6ft person in 1:76 = 24.1mm tall, same person in  1:75 would be 24.4mm so the ones I've bought will be strictly speaking taller than they should be but not by any appreciable margin! 

Thanks for the tip-off! 

Ralf

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Have to admit, I’ve been dragging my heels a bit with this model. I want to produce some miniature front pages/covers of newspapers/magazines/comics circa 1957, so it’s taking a bit of time to research. However, I have just discovered a front page of ‘The Scotsman’ newspaper dated April 1957 and there is a photo of the Waverley Newstand, as well! I can use ‘The Scotsman’  newspaper article headings for some of the billboard posters.

I am experimenting with printed paper textures, which I have already used for the road and paving. Considered kit bashing the free download of Mike Martin’s ‘Wordsworth Model Railway’ News Kiosk, with his permission. Instead I am creating my own paper kit, similar in style, based on the actual 1950s newstand, so hopefully this will be completed relatively soon!

If you want to check out ‘Wordsworth Model Railway’ paper downloads and YouTube videos, just follow this link:

http://www.wordsworthmodelrailway.co.uk/

C18BE495-C7CB-4300-B7B2-9E7BF4811872.jpeg.1086aa2dac11874b3b9ca886a5deffd4.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Made a start on the two main walls of the newsstand, today. There will be two of the narrow elevations with the  ‘window’ opening. All the other elevations will be closed-in panelling, with the occasional door.

0403C961-88C1-45B6-A713-98EDD0FA0D6E.jpeg.0bd6458983af7dc2f827b48ba795ad78.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Having been a collector of cuttings most of my life, I thought I would have a browse through some old model railway articles and found this April 1979 ‘Railway Modeller’ piece on enamelled signs by D.J.Smith. The reproduction of the signs is good enough to reduce down for this model. I also have the Robert Opie 1950s Scrapbook of advertising memorabilia, which is another great reference. Apart from newspaper and magazine advertising, the newsstand would have had advertisements for cigarettes, confectionery, stationery, new book announcements...

According to the article, enamelled signs were in use from the mid 19th century until the 1950s, and in many cases some were as old as the stations!

B9B559DA-82B1-4144-B201-943A6782D2A6.jpeg.3173804962256d2f96e743253450e39b.jpeg

2 hours ago, Bill_J said:

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out...

Thanks, Bill! I’ll be glad to finish this one, as well as the Swiss model. There’s always so many other things needing done at this time of year! Do you think your ‘Rest Stop’ could fit with the ‘Holidays’ theme at all? 

1957 is the year and finally sourced headlines for the posters and cover images of the main newspapers, comics, magazines, etc! Will scale these down in Photoshop for the counter displays in the newsstand. Here is the one featuring mainly women’s magazines. Surprised at how modern some of these cover designs appear! I found ‘Model Railway Constructor’, ‘Model Railway News’, ‘Model Engineer’ and ‘Meccano Magazine’ for our hobby - couldn’t find a ‘Railway Modeller’ cover for that year?

D27607BD-6DFD-446D-9011-1D604AE2923C.jpeg.09a468e75d1886d431e768725c0b27fc.jpeg

• Like 9