Marly51

• 4 weeks later...

I am focusing on my other Cake Box just now, but the news stand for Waverley is printed out and ready to be assembled! I also have to decide whether I will have time to include some station canopy roof girder details - not sure if this might be too fussy? The backscene from the station along the tracks towards the tunnel under the Mound, with Edinburgh Castle in the distance, might be sufficient - we’ll see?

IMG_3374.JPG.6dba1967a6be75f12c5bc7ca89a89b61.JPG

Edited by Marly51
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Marlyn, this is my favourite among your cakeboxes, so I'm glad to see some progress. But you really must stop prioritising the other projects, cake boxes have feelings too you know! :D 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mikkel said:

Marlyn, this is my favourite among your cakeboxes, so I'm glad to see some progress. But you really must stop prioritising the other projects, cake boxes have feelings too you know! :D 

Thanks Mikkel! I do like having a few things on the go, but will finish this one for the challenge! There are just too many interesting topics to explore for railway modelling!! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I can never forget the station canopy at Waverley. A few years ago I was waiting for the departures board to show the platform for the train to London. It was raining hard and I was still holding my umbrella. A most polite lady gently caught my attention and pointed out that I was standing under the canopy. I folded my brolly loosely in I hope an equally casual and gentle manner :-)

- Richard.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

The billboard posters on  the actual newsstand took longer than I expected, although they will be so tiny as to be hardly legible on the completed structure, which I am now assembling, using my usual layered construction. Prints mounted on a single layer of cereal box card this time. Just got to source some 1950s Scottish/Highland posters, for the finished piece.

Edited by Marly51
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Because the layout is angled, I have decided that canopy girders wouldn’t work, without being supported at the sides of model. However I have ordered a set of columns from York Model Rail, similar to the Waverley ones, so I can position one in the foreground. In the photographs of the period, the columns have a tubular sleeve on which railway posters are pasted.  I might try to recreate this as well?  

https://www.yorkmodelrail.com/00-scale/Columns ?product_id=1061

Edited by Marly51
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We had such good weather during the last fortnight of September that outdoor maintenance jobs had to take priority and the only free evening time was spent trying to finish my two cakebox models for Round 3! No time for posting or browsing on the Forum :(

Here are some of the progress shots, will post the final ones later.

AC1EC015-45B5-46A8-AC2F-ADD98ABC47EC.jpeg.79ebffe1bf71b5bfa67759a6a15d39b3.jpeg

The planned model of the news stand now looks too big, with  a very narrow corridor for the passenger queue,  so a sharp scalpel blade was required!

69155180-5909-4E8D-9D2E-11B18B6B16A7.jpeg.5a6f471a964db9d7b61af0c9a6eb60d3.jpeg

I tried to make the John Lewis kiosk header as close, in style, to the original. Fonts have changed over the years - I only purchase additional fonts that I am likely to need on a regular basis.

57F480F6-45EA-41D0-A458-E39C932E88C1.jpeg.00fc77590681a79f244633abd31dd210.jpeg

My local model shop, ‘The Sports and Model Shop‘ in Dingwall had this set of 1940s/1950s station staff, so thought I might use one or two on the model.

0C408E41-C84F-439C-80F5-232062185351.jpeg.d92f0506876331e944df3e645346d35b.jpeg

Before I secure the backscene - back view of the model, to prove I had some ballasted track there as well as couple buffer stops, made from paper!

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

10 hours ago, OOman said:

Another fantastic model Marlyn, I think you will be hard to beat in this round of cakebox challenges.

You’re very kind Kevin and Richard, but the standard of modelmaking and the range of ideas is really great! Thanks also to everyone who encouraged me to keep going with this model, which was originally intended for the round ‘Waiting for the Train’! I get there in the end.

“Good luck” to everyone this time round!! 

Marlyn

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bill_J said:

This is a great diorama Marly. I really like the way you've managed to blend with the backscene and the use of colour and black & white - very "Summer Holiday"

Hi Bill - when I was in primary school, in the early 1960s, we had the opportunity to travel on a TV train trip from Edinburgh to Glasgow, followed by a boat trip down the River Clyde to Dunoon. Much to our teacher’s disgust, Cliff Richard was singing ‘Summer Holiday’ as part of the TV transmission!

Edited by Marly51

• RMweb Gold

Wow, very impressive result Marlyn.  At the risk of sounding overly philosophical, I think it captures the teeming chaos of a large railway station, and that lovely blend of hard infrastructure and soft humans. The photo montage is a really nice idea.

Looks to me as if there's good scope for some interesting ground-level shots too?

• Agree 1

On 13/10/2019 at 05:30, Mikkel said:

Wow, very impressive result Marlyn.  At the risk of sounding overly philosophical, I think it captures the teeming chaos of a large railway station, and that lovely blend of hard infrastructure and soft humans. The photo montage is a really nice idea.

Looks to me as if there's good scope for some interesting ground-level shots too?

Thanks Mikkel - As usual, I was working right up to the wire! :pardon: Will try and take some more close up shots.

Marlyn

• Like 1