New Layout

hodgkinr

• RMweb Premium

If I'm reading the scale correctly, the runround in the passenger station looks to be about 8 to 10 inches between fouling points, enough for a single bogie carriage. It really needs to be longer for the sake of both practicality and appearance.

Perhaps move the loop point to the left of the shed siding? This would also give a useful lead for running round in the yard clear of the main as this is one of those rare small termini where a dedicated shunter is credible.

Actually, looking at Martin's last plan, I'd consider omitting the kickback on the front left siding and laying a second siding behind the existing one, just to give more reason for the palaver of the loop in the yard. There seems to be room for it without undue crowding.

• RMweb Gold

Just for interest, here's a version executed in Peco Streamline OO/HO geometry:

post-32492-0-98297600-1548236356_thumb.png

Uses all small radius left, right and Y points. Not adding any new sidings and revising only the passenger run round loop.

Suggested different baseboard division and sizes - no points lie on baseboard joins.

Min radius 500mm.

(Some areas still need to be tweaked a bit.)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It may be better If i have another 4'x2.6" and 2'x2'6" and place the 2'x2.6" at the dock area.

Hi Bob,

That makes a lot of sense and gives more flexibility in positioning the pointwork.

In any event, the dock baseboard will need to be lower than the others to allow for building of the dock, so I was a bit surprised by your original board plans.

cheers,

Martin.

• RMweb Gold

I like that; it 'flows'.  You have a little room to extend the platform a few inches towards the 'country' end, which might help positioning van accommodation for unloading.  The loop and engine shed road need to have trap points to protect the running line if the Board of Trade are to be happy with it, and my personal preference would be for a factory siding where the loco shed is; this will mean that the pickup has to be shunted in both directions which will add to the fun/drive the operator nuts.

My only criticism is that the loco release headshunt is very short, about 6 inches; this will restrict you to 0-6-0s, 0-4-2s, and 2-4-0s, and all tanks at that.  Whatever extra space you can wangle here will be invaluable here.  A way around it is to move the point entering the loop at the other end left a bit on to the level crossing and joining the engine shed 'Y', an extra 9" or so and now you can use just about any tank loco, small diesels, and small tender loco; I like a bit of biodiversity on a layout!

Edited by The Johnster

Just for interest, here's a version executed in Peco Streamline OO/HO geometry:

hodgkinr 3.png

Good plan as always. Personally I like your version much more. I would also remove the 2 extra sidings on the left nearby the crane. Both were not in the original plan. Without them it doesn’t look so overcrowded.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Bob,

Now that I know your board sizes I have re-worked the plan so that there are no turnouts crossing board joints, and simplified it a little. The platform run-round is 25" clear, enough for a couple of coaches and a van.

The Templot file is attached below, you should be able to open it in Templot,  print it out and try it on your boards.

I haven't done any timber shoving, over to you for that. smile.gif

2_232125_190000000.png

2_232120_150000001.png

porthwenn8.box

cheers,

Martin.

Wow loads of good comments :)

I spoke to Martin @ Model Railway Solutions ( those people named Martin are very clever!), he reckons he will make the small board with the dock for me as it will be pretty easy for him.  I hate woodwork :(  The boards he makes are 4" deep and he reckons that he could reduce it to about an 1" in the dock area and modify the trestle so it fits in that corner. So that looks like the plan.

All I need now is a bit of advice on track parts to buy and where?

Thanks for all you help guys..I do ap[appreciate it!

Bob

Hi guys 

I've just looked at the C&L finescale website there's a lot to take in on there.  I did notice on DCC concepts web pages they are doing Stainless track.  Is it Steel on Finescale site Stainless? and is it worth considering for my new layout ? or should i stick with Nickle Silver?

Do I go for plastic or wood sleepers?

I knew i would enjoy all this Railway layout building lol.

Thanks

Bob

It is getting a lot better but there is not a lot of siding space in relation to the amount of track, The platform is very short.  Two run round loops take up a great deal of space and the "Kick back" sidings are going to be a bit of a pain to shunt if you use brake vans.     

• RMweb Gold

Steel track, even stainless steel track, will be prone to rusting and more difficult to keep clean; I have an idea that it expands (and hence contracts) more than nickel silver as well.  My preference would be for nickel silver track.  Steel does have some advantages, though; loco wheels grip it better and haulage is improved, the plus side of the rougher rail head surface that is harder to keep clean.  If you can ensure that the environment in which the layout is kept is always within a temperature range and is dry, it should be ok.

Haulage is not going to be much of an issue on a layout this size, though, even if there is a bit of a gradient down to your wharf sidings.