Wills SS78 platform shelter ideas

• RMweb Gold

I quite like the look of these being based on an LSWR timber structure but it is rather small and narrow, has anyone kit bashed a few of these into a larger structure? The bottom pic is platform 8 Clapham junction, and is the sort of size I was thinking of.

ss78-500x500.PNG

o.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Probably easier to start from scratch using door/window components from the likes of York Modelmaking.

I had always thought of this building as being of LBSC origins (Horsted Keynes?) but you rightly point out that similar exist on the ex LSW platforms at Clapham Jct. Is it perhaps of SR design? Or was the LBSC responsible for buildings at CJ as a sort of joint station arrangement?

Edit to add: TrackShack claim on their website that SS78 is based on Clapham Jct buildings.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell
  • Like 1

I quite like the look of these being based on an LSWR timber structure but it is rather small and narrow, has anyone kit bashed a few of these into a larger structure? The bottom pic is platform 8 Clapham junction, and is the sort of size I was thinking of.

ss78-500x500.PNG

o.jpg

Looked at this and it might be a good candidate for a cut and shut model. on an island platform perhaps several joined together and or using the companies window and door pack and various textured sheets, on a single face platform looking at the photo the rear wall may be in brick, so a case of spreading out the kit(s) on one side only and part of the ends. Sadly unlike the poster unable to find other photos of these structures 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The Hobby shop have these kits on offer at the moment, so I've bought 3 more along with a peco subway and some wills parts. I think I'm going to keep the width as it is so it fits on the wills platforms I have, and just join a few wall sections into a longer structure. Will post up some pics of what I come up with.  I did look at scratchbuilding but the cost of decent doors and windows rules this out, I did considor using the parkside/ratio lnwr sectional parts but they would look a little out of place for this model. I will try those on a later project though.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, simon b said:

Dose anyone know the colors these would have been painted in the late 60's - early 70's period? I'm guessing white wood rather than the grey plastic the kit is in.

It would depend on what region you are modelling. Southern Region would have painted the wooden trim, doors and windows in Southern Green for example.

Edited by Geep7
Spelling

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Geep7 said:

It would depend on what region you are modelling. Southern Region would have painted the woodern trim, doors and windows in Southern Green for example.

These will be set in SR territory, clapham area.

• RMweb Gold
On 2/1/2019 at 1:24 PM, Steamport Southport said:

The painting details are on the SEMGONLINE website.

http://www.semgonline.com/proto/sthnpaint.html

Also Station Colours.

https://www.stationcolours.com/southern

Jason

Many thanks for that, that is quite a useful website. Any pointers where I might find color details for the 80's period?

• RMweb Gold

So I've been doing a little cut and shut job on these, this is the result of three kits combined into one building and one built as per the kit. I will add more details once I have put some paint on. I've also started a flat roof style of canopy to cover these and a subway entrance up from street level.

20190203_135035.jpg

20190203_191104.jpg

20190203_191112.jpg

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Had a bit of time today, so made some progress on this. The platform is now painted and weathered, and the subway is fitted in place. The buildings themselves have gained a base coat of white, and the canopy is in primer. I think it's taking shape nicely. 

I took these pics outside on the window ledge while the paint was drying off.

20190506_191421.jpg

Edited by simon b
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

On 22 January 2019 at 11:26, Joseph_Pestell said:

Probably easier to start from scratch using door/window components from the likes of York Modelmaking.

I had always thought of this building as being of LBSC origins (Horsted Keynes?) but you rightly point out that similar exist on the ex LSW platforms at Clapham Jct. Is it perhaps of SR design? Or was the LBSC responsible for buildings at CJ as a sort of joint station arrangement?

Edit to add: TrackShack claim on their website that SS78 is based on Clapham Jct buildings.

For the record the two sides of Clapham Junction were very separate. If you look at this picture https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/25/Clapham_Junction_railway_station_MMB_18_455912.jpg&imgrefurl=https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Clapham_Junction_railway_station_MMB_18_455912.jpg&tbnid=QgJNNUQ8MGZ6bM&vet=1&docid=UftCwombW4vAKM&w=3838&h=2421&hl=en-gb&source=sh/x/im

you can see that the large footbridge which connected both sides, which one might expect to be a single design, changes completely when it becomes LSWR property, on the left hand side.  The LBSCR platform buildings were largely polychromatic brickwork, although they did have timber platform buildings, similar to the kit, at the next station towards Victoria, Battersea Park.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, davefromacrossthepond said:

Wow!  Looking awesome Simon.  Can we perhaps see a bottom view of the platform roof (a kind of a "how to" pic).   Your model reminds me of the Newark NJ Penn Station platform shelters.  I'm sure similar structures can be found in many places.  Great job!

Dave

Thanks Dave,

at the moment the canopy itself is just a shell, once I've added some lattice support beams from plastistrut I'll take a few pics. It's made from a pack of wills SSMP229 felt and batten sheets, with the valancing from the ratio canopy kit. There is more to add to it yet, so watch this space.