Problem with logins?

• RMweb Gold

Is there currently a problem with logins?

The last few times I've tried (yesterday afternoon then just now) I went to login as normal using the "Sign In" button at top right of the screen.

The expected login screen appeared and after entering username and password and clicking OK the screen cleared and a message I've never seen before appeared.

It says something like "please wait while we redirect you or if you don't want to wait click here".

Whether I click "here" or wait doesn't seem to matter - a few seconds later I'm presented with the RMWeb home page but am not logged in - the "Sign In" option still appears.

I eventually managed to log in by clicking "View New Content" then clicking "click here to login" when it told me I couldn't view new content.

BTW, why can't we "View New Content" unless we're logged in?

Thanks.

• RMweb Premium

There's a yellow banner over the top of each page indicating that some upgrade work is going on in the background and so that may be the problem.

Regarding VNC, I assume that if you don't log in, the system doesn't know who you are and will give you all 'new content' which would be thousands of postings over more than 10 years. By being logged in, you only get those new items since you last logged in.

Could you provide a screenshot of what you're seeing please either by reply or PM so I can look into it.

Regarding VNC, I assume that if you don't log in, the system doesn't know who you are and will give you all 'new content' which would be thousands of postings over more than 10 years. By being logged in, you only get those new items since you last logged in.

Spot on Mike, the VNC is a form of search function which is not available to non-members as it increases server loads.

• RMweb Gold

Could you provide a screenshot of what you're seeing please either by reply or PM so I can look into it.

Hi Andy,

Normal RMWeb home page:

post-33485-0-68596200-1548153070.jpg

I click on the "Sign In" button top right which brings up the normal login dialog box:

post-33485-0-18049800-1548153071.jpg

Enter my login details and click "Sign In" which currently brings up this message:

post-33485-0-77763600-1548153072.jpg

before dumping me back to the home page, still not logged in.

I click on "View New Content" which brings up the error message:

post-33485-0-39159100-1548153072.jpg

Clicking on "click here to log in" brings up a different login screen:

post-33485-0-88288000-1548153071.jpg

Entering my login details here still works and lets me in to reply to this thread!

TTFN

Just for information I had the same problem last night around 00.30. It dumped me back to the home page twice before I clicked on the link "if you do not want to wait" which then worked.

When I logged on this morning everything was fine

• RMweb Gold

There's a yellow banner over the top of each page indicating that some upgrade work is going on in the background and so that may be the problem.

Spot on Mike, the VNC is a form of search function which is not available to non-members as it increases server loads.

If the "View New Content" feature is not available unless I'm logged in, wouldn't it be more logical not to display the button until I am logged in?

It would certainly be less frustrating!

i.e. in the same way that the Search feature is hidden until I log in.

However, at the moment using VNC is the only way I can log in at the moment, so maybe don't change anything!!!   :fool:  :sclerosis:  :)  :)

BTW, if I understand it correctly, VNC just displays all posts updated today not all posts that I haven't read yet (i.e. that are new to me), so it makes no difference that the system doesn't know who I am.

Edited by GWR57xx

• RMweb Gold

Hi GWR57xx, Are you using Internet Explorer? That is getting a bit long in the tooth now. Could you try a different browser, such as Chrome?

P.S. Your screen shots are very difficult to read.

Edited by Harlequin

• RMweb Gold

Hi GWR57xx, Are you using Internet Explorer? That is getting a bit long in the tooth now. Could you try a different browser, such as Chrome?

P.S. Your screen shots are very difficult to read.

Hi Harlequin,

Yep, tried Chrome, exactly the same result. I just prefer the Explorer interface and menus...

Screen shots were resized to max 800 pixels (I thought that was the standard for embedded photos?).

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

Hi Harlequin,

Yep, tried Chrome, exactly the same result. I just prefer the Explorer interface and menus...

Screen shots were resized to max 800 pixels (I thought that was the standard for embedded photos?).

Cheers

Thanks. Oh well, at least that eliminates browser differences. (Internet Explorer is a greater security risk than the more modern browsers and implements web standards worse than modern browsers - probably hasn't got long to live now...)

You don't need to resize the screenshots yourself - just post them full size and the forum software will show 800px thumbnails in the posts but that will expand to full size when they are clicked on.

• RMweb Premium

If the "View New Content" feature is not available unless I'm logged in, wouldn't it be more logical not to display the button until I am logged in?

It would certainly be less frustrating!

i.e. in the same way that the Search feature is hidden until I log in.

However, at the moment using VNC is the only way I can log in at the moment, so maybe don't change anything!!!   :fool:  :sclerosis:  :)  :)

BTW, if I understand it correctly, VNC just displays all posts updated today not all posts that I haven't read yet (i.e. that are new to me), so it makes no difference that the system doesn't know who I am.

I never log out - I'm always logged in on both home and work PCs and I have VNC saved as a 'favourite' so that's the page I see as soon as I open the browser - never look at the home page. If I miss a few days then my VNC goes right back to whenever I last looked - it doesn't just show one day.

Enter my login details and click "Sign In" which currently brings up this message:

attachicon.gifRMWebWait.jpg

I've never encountered that screen, it must be a result iof some of the changes.

If anyone's having login problems such as this it's always worth logging out, deleting any RMweb cookies from your browser and logging in afresh.

Take some time to look at the filters in the left-hand column where you can customise what it calls up for you. take a note of what you started with though in case you get lost.

• RMweb Gold

Take some time to look at the filters in the left-hand column where you can customise what it calls up for you. take a note of what you started with though in case you get lost.

Eeee by 'eck!

I have never noticed that panel before!

Thanks. :)

• RMweb Gold

I never log out - I'm always logged in on both home and work PCs and I have VNC saved as a 'favourite' so that's the page I see as soon as I open the browser - never look at the home page. If I miss a few days then my VNC goes right back to whenever I last looked - it doesn't just show one day.

Hmm, odd. If I leave myself logged in, say overnight, when I come back to it I've been logged out.

I just assumed it was the system timing out my login session due to inactivity??

• RMweb Premium

I've never encountered that screen, it must be a result iof some of the changes.

I've often had that screen over the years. I have always assumed it appears when the severs are unable to cope, and is why you can end up not logged in, a server timeout due to max traffic demand.

I have just had it now. Logged out, then back in again, straight through this time. A lot of odd bits are hanging at times. But the banner explains why this may happening at present so I haven't worried too much about it.

Izzy

I've often had that screen over the years. I have always assumed it appears when the severs are unable to cope, and is why you can end up not logged in, a server timeout due to max traffic demand.

I have just had it now. Logged out, then back in again, straight through this time. A lot of odd bits are hanging at times. But the banner explains why this may happening at present so I haven't worried too much about it.

Izzy

I've seen the yellow box today and have also seen it before from time to time. It usually disappears very quickly and the home page appears, but this morning it stayed visible for about ten or fifteen seconds before the home page opened. No problems with any aspect of the site once I was logged-in and no sign of the yellow box when I logged-in recently.

For info, I'm using the latest version of Safari on the latest version of macOS and as a matter of routine, I always clear cookies at the end of a session. When I logged-in and saw the yellow box today it was from a new session with no cookies stored.

John

• RMweb Gold

I've been having problems all day trying to log in using  Chrome

Normal sign in page doesn't work but if I click on VNC it takes me to this:

[#10146]

You do not have permission to use the search system.

Need Help?

•  
    • I can then sign in via "Click here to log in" but am unable to post or read messages, notifications or look at my profile.  (Have cleared cookies several times) Now logged in via Edge (which I don't like!)

I've been having problems all day trying to log in using  Chrome

Normal sign in page doesn't work but if I click on VNC it takes me to this:

[#10146]

You do not have permission to use the search system.

Need Help?

•  
    • I can then sign in via "Click here to log in" but am unable to post or read messages, notifications or look at my profile.  (Have cleared cookies several times) Now logged in via Edge (which I don't like!)

Firefox would be my go-to in this situation.

• RMweb Gold

As well as logging on to the site I was also having a problem with reading my emails using Chrome. After a few minutes on the phone to my IT genius son the problem has been solved by removing a Chrome extension for downloading pictures. Nope, I haven't got a clue what it is/was but everything is now working fine.

HTH

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob