Oxford Rail announce J27 at Toy Fair

Andy Y

Oxford Rail – Now in full model mode and investing in the future.

This year promises an exciting Oxford Rail 2019 ahead with releases galore, including a totally new locomotive, a limited edition train pack, plus additions to an already popular and established product range.

Contrary to what some may have thought, Oxford Rail are continuing to invest in their steadily growing and impressive range. Over these last few years Oxford Rail have established themselves as a brand that lives up to its promises to not only the modeller but also their valued retailers who have supported them from the very beginning. To repay both the modeller and the retailer for their faith in Oxford Rail continues to invest heavily in its planned development schedule and remains determined to provide top quality products at readily affordable prices.

As mentioned, this year sees the Oxford Rail range of detailed models enlarged even further with the addition of several new and exciting items.

For 2019 the choice of locomotives has been extended once again with the introduction of the NER P3 locomotive, which for many is probably better known as the LNER / BR Class J27.  This very capable locomotive was built to handle long distance freight and mineral trains mainly in the northeastern region. Due to the locomotive being so robust and being more than capable of hauling heavy coal trains the last of the Class was not removed from traffic until September 1967.

2490580588_c0c4b11ed0_o.jpg

R0241 - South Blyth Shed by Bill Wright, on Flickr

2019 will see the 100th anniversary of the East Kent Light Railway purchasing their Adams Radial locomotive.  To celebrate this milestone, Oxford Rail will be producing a limited production run of 250 commemorative packs featuring the EKR liveried Adams Radial and two newly liveried 5 plank wagons specific to the East Kent area.

With the release of the eagerly awaited N7, plus the amazing BL 18 inch Howitzer Rail Gun in its various guises, as well as new liveries featured on the 5 plank open wagons, not to mention the varieties of Mk3 coach stock, plus an extensive selection of wagon and tanker ranges on offer, these next few months are going to be exciting times not only for Oxford Rail but also the model railway fraternity.

Asked to comment, Scott Rhodes of Oxford Rail said, ’What the 2019 range illustrates is our total commitment to developing and expanding a solid range of products on which we can continue to build in line with the strategy we originally laid down at the very beginning of Oxford Rail’.  When asked about future plans Scott responded, ‘We are continually looking for model opportunities to expand our range.  The Oxford Structures have been extremely well received but we are also looking at other possibilities with regards to locomotives and rolling stock and I believe we have some truly exciting plans for the future.’ Adding, ‘Watch this space.’

In brief:

J27- 4 liveries

OR76ROR007- Carillion ROR defender

OR76MW5006- Tilmanstone company 5 plank wagon

OR76AR009- EKR Anniversary set (Loco and 2 new Tilmanstone wagons with different running numbers)

OR76MW7013W Heavily Weathered in wales  7 plank Wagon BR Open wagon

OR76MW7021W- Weathered in wales 7 plank Wagon Kobo

OR76SPWAG01- Mixed PO wagons sets

OR76DG010- Dean Goods with snow plough removed

OR76ACC01- snow plough accessory

OR76BOOM03- WW1 Rail gun only

• Like 16

The following is copied directly from the Oxford Rail facebook anouncemnt, giving a bit more detail on the locos and liveries being done:

Our 2019 range will include:
New Tooled J27-
OR76J27001- LNER No.1010
OR76J27002- BR (Early) No.65837
OR76J27003- BR (Late) No.65817
OR76J27004- BR L&NER (Red Lining) No.1214

So they've not bitten the bullet and gone for an NER liveried version (P3) which is a shame but I guess that'll follow in due course, and enables the spreading of the cost!

Cheers

J

Edited to add bold to quote.

Edited by JaymzHatstand

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Congratulations to Oxford on this choice of loco which should go a long way to 'balancing' motive power from different areas.

In The 00 Wishlist Poll, the J27 has been High Polling since 2013; was in The Top 50 in 2016; and missed being in The Top 50 in 2018 by just five votes.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

Edited by BMacdermott
  • Like 4

Fantastic news - The only small issue is that the EKR brought the radial in 1923!! I already have the radial, could do with just the wagons.

==================

Taken From the Oxford Adams thread - most info taken from the this definitive EKR book - https://www.amazon.fr/East-Kent-Railway-Nationalisation-Operation/dp/0853616094/ref=sr_1_55?ie=UTF8&qid=1548150092&sr=8-55&keywords=east+kent+railway 

==================

The ministry of munitions never really used her, She was never repainted by them.  The EKR pîcked her up post WWI (even post grouping).

She was repaired and painted dark green by the LSWR then sold to the ministry of munitions in 1917. Assigned number 27 but no evidence exists she ever carried it.Assigned to the Royal Naval salvage college at Ridham near Sittingbourne. In 1919 moved to the general stores depot at Belvedere near Woolwich then put up for sale in 1920. She remained on sale for a very long time as there was no shortage of engines being disposed of by most railway companies at this time.

The Disposal & Liquidation commitee sold it to Colonel Stephens in 1923 for £375, she arrived on the EKR in April 1923.

Reading this, she was doubtless used briefly at Ridham dock. This was an uncompleted dock (completed in 1919) but was used to allow ships to pick up munitions. I can only assume a branch from the SECR Sheppy line had been built quite early on as the dock is just over 3 miles away.

Edit 3: Just found this online:

Five National Salvage Depots were planned for late 1917, Blyth, Immingham, Manchester, Renfrew and Ridham. All came under the direct control of the Ministry of Munitions.
Ridham Dock was already in use for the export of munitions, and land was leased for the salvage depot from 10 May 1917 to 19 November 1918.
The salvage depots were responsible for the storing, sorting and repairing of all manner of military equipment, apart from weapons and vehicles, recovered damaged from the battlefield.
Most of the workforce were women. There is a splendid photo, with a short audio, @ http://www.bbc.co.uk...rammes/p02b39h8
The exact location of the depot buildings, Factory 185 of the Ministry of Munitions, within Ridham Docks is unknown.

At least two locomotives worked at the depot.

Kerr Stuart Skylark (No. 2) 0-4-2t, ex H Lovatt & Co, ex Salford Docks. http://www.shropshir...sbsdr/locos.htm

Ex London & South Western Railway 415 class, No. 488. 4-4-2t. Now on static display at the Bluebell Railway.
http://www.bluebell-...adams_tank.html

http://www.kenthisto...p?topic=18493.0

End Quote

0488  had a charmed life considering that just before WWI, she was considered one of the 10 worst condition radials and doubtless would have been scrapped had it not been for WWI and her sudden repair to full working order for the ministry.

She then got selected for EKR, doubtless because she was cheap as she was not really well suited. And had even greater luck when the southern needed an extra loco for the Lyme Regis line being brought in 1946. Had she remained on the EKR until 1948, she would have been scrapped as BR considered none of their stock fit for further use.

And when it came to preservation, she was one of 3 radials to choose from.

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 4

I’m sure that the J27 was in preparation long before Bachmann announced the deferment of its J39 but it’s a very welcome substitute. The J39 was intended to do the job of the J27. Before I bring the wrath of those commendable people who model a strict time period, I’d add that I “model” historically and I’m always delighted to see a gap in historical development filled. The J39 will be all the more welcome when, and if, if appears*.

I wonder if Oxford has tooled up for superheated and saturated sub-classes.

*If I’m still around to welcome it.

A great choice. With the J72, the Q6 and the railcar, an 0-6-0 is an obvious gap filler for the North Eastern Railway. It's not technically a model I need, but I am quite fond of the NER, so if they produce it in that livery I may well be tempted.

What would be great (hint hint Oxford) would be to follow it up with some North Eastern wagons. I'd definitely take a birdcage brake van and some hoppers off their hands.

• Like 2

Great news. at least one will find its way to OZ.

Mark

Mark you can be confident that at least one more will be heading to Victoria. In fact it is one of my favourite locos I have built and finished one Dave Bradwell kit with a second most of the way there! So the OO layout will be seriously looking NER based. All we really needed was one of the big manufacturers to do the NER 20 ton hoppers!

This is seriously good news! I had a pretty bad day one way or another so this has really brightened my day!

• Like 2

OT but - the tradition of Ridham Dock being used for military salvage continued, and included the time of the Falklands War, when two spare sidings were used for the return of bent land rovers, out of date ammo etc. by rail, off-loaded from chartered cargo vessels. No Radials there then of course, apart from the tyres on my car.

Edited by Mike Storey
  • Like 1

Sadly too modern for me, and it will probably discourage others from producing the J21 or J25 that I would have bought, so from a purely personal perspective, not really of much interest.  

More generally, however, I think it is excellent news for the hobby that there will be a NER 0-6-0, something that is long-overdue and greatly wished for.  It is certainly a positive step and very welcome. It will undoubtedly suit most people with NE leanings and, I hope, encourage others to model this hitherto most unrepresented of the major English companies.  

I hope the lessons of the Dean Goods have been learnt and that Oxford has since invested in a research capability. If so,this could be very good news indeed. 

I guess Oxford needs to produce something while they wait for Hornby to appoint a liquidator to sell them the tooling!  But, seriously, if Oxford is about to come of age and make quality products that fill some of the gaps in the market, I'm sure the hobby will benefit. 

Will watch developments with interest.

Sadly too modern for me, and it will probably discourage others from producing the J21 or J25 that I would have bought, so from a purely personal perspective, not really of much interest.  

More generally, however, I think it is excellent news for the hobby that there will be a NER 0-6-0, something that is long-overdue and greatly wished for.  It is certainly a positive step and very welcome. It will undoubtedly suit most people with NE leanings and, I hope, encourage others to model this hitherto most unrepresented of the major English companies.  

I hope the lessons of the Dean Goods have been learnt and that Oxford has since invested in a research capability. If so,this could be very good news indeed. 

I guess Oxford needs to produce something while they wait for Hornby to appoint a liquidator to sell them the tooling!  But, seriously, if Oxford is about to come of age and make quality products that fill some of the gaps in the market, I'm sure the hobby will benefit. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A great choice. With the J72, the Q6 and the railcar, an 0-6-0 is an obvious gap filler for the North Eastern Railway. It's not technically a model I need, but I am quite fond of the NER, so if they produce it in that livery I may well be tempted.

What would be great (hint hint Oxford) would be to follow it up with some North Eastern wagons. I'd definitely take a birdcage brake van and some hoppers off their hands.

.....and the G5

Edited by Joseph_Pestell

• RMweb Gold

I too think that a J21 or J25 may have been a better choice as a lighter, smaller locomotive with wider route availability.

But the number of NER and LNER locos for the NE now becoming available must lead to an increase in interest in modelling that region and so it may yet result in a J21 from one of the manufacturers.

• RMweb Premium

A good choice, widely clamoured for. Fits well into the popular post-Nationalisation era up to 1967 with a nod to the growing collectors market for the George(V)ian* pre-grouping period. I'm sure one will come in NER livery, perhaps as 65894 in 1970s preserved guise. ;)

*Edit - Wrong! The first batch was solidly Edwardian I see.

A welcome addition for those modelling the ex-NER lines!

I hope a suitable NER brake van follows, AFAIK at least one survives, maybe it'll be announced later on this year.

I count at least four rtr brakes suitable for these engines, though granted nothing pure NER. Maybe Oxford will duplicate the Slaters birdcage brake, now available again, but they'd surely sell more wagons if they did one of the many types of hopper that J27s pulled at some time. Edited by Flying Pig

• RMweb Gold

This announcement shows that Oxford Rail are still here which is in almost every respect that's no bad thing for the hobby - in fact I would have been surprised if they hadn't announced anything new.  

The J27 (and maybe one day P3?) is something of a wish list led choice but there will undoubtedly be a market for it especially if they make a good job of it which might well be what will happen in the latest incarnation of Oxford Rail, so well done them.  Like several others I think the J25 would have been a more imaginative choice as it would also be suitable for some GWR modellers as well as its home territory but the J27 is there to scan and measure and as I suggested (without a clue if what it would be) Oxford have gone for a 'living' subject, which will probably also help sales.

My main interest will however be the wagons.