Oxford Rail announce J27 at Toy Fair

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

If I start collecting all of the preserved locos I have been hauled by I think I might get my plastic frozen, not to mention a few other bits.

Nice to see the snowplough listed as an accessory, my 57xx could do with one today. 32083743166_2c4a2b34a6_c.jpg

The Tyseley snow plough (pjs,0638) by Geoff Dowling, on Flickr

That's not a snow plough, it's one of the development prototypes for Concorde's nose...

• RMweb Gold

Aw cummon!! Yer winding us up. No manufacturer would consider a generic chassis in this day and age by consider going back to the Tri-ang Jinty chassis days? Would they?

I assume you are talking about a common chassis block that would be cast to accept different wheelbases and wheel diameters? Wouldn't work with the differing wheelbases of the J27/J25 using the standard 2mm, 3mm & 1/8" axle sizes in common use today.

1950's design philosophy in 2019. There would be a buyer's backlash.

Well, Hornby in this day and age have just re-introduced the J83 on a generic Jinty chassis which is not correct for a Jinty, admittedly upgraded from the Triang 1950s version and and not a bad runner (I have one under a 2721).  They've also revisited the early 60s with a Dean Single and shorty clerestories; only the bogie mountings on the shorties have been changed in nearly 60 years.

Aw cummon!! Yer winding us up. No manufacturer would consider a generic chassis in this day and age by consider going back to the Tri-ang Jinty chassis days? Would they?

I assume you are talking about a common chassis block that would be cast to accept different wheelbases and wheel diameters? Wouldn't work with the differing wheelbases of the J27/J25 using the standard 2mm, 3mm & 1/8" axle sizes in common use today.

1950's design philosophy in 2019. There would be a buyer's backlash.

Not sure what basic technical problem you envisage? Why would different wheelbases and wheel sizes be needed? All data I have shows 8' 0" + 8' 6" wheelbase and 4' 7" and a bit as the wheel diameter for the J25, J26 and J27 classes, with same wheelbase again for J21 with larger wheels. Only the J24 was the odd member of the little "family" of these five types, with shorter wheelbase. Is all of my data in several different books wrong? Different side facings on one chassis block / mechanism and the route is open to four classes from one chassis design exercise.

Fantastic news! I'm so pleased someone has finally bitten onto making the J27! Can't like this enough.

Only slight regret is that they haven't done 65894, but either its tucked back as a special edition, or I renumber one of the offerings. 

So happy! 

Paul. 

Edited by Paul_sterling
  • Like 2

That's not a snow plough, it's one of the development prototypes for Concorde's nose...

Actually I think you’ll find it’s the prototype APT before Derby got to it

Actually I think you’ll find it’s the prototype APT before Derby got to it

Reference generic chassis, I am with gr.king. Surely a well-designed standard cast chassis with a variety of bottoms and wheels is sensible from a development cost point of view. However, why stop at four designs? Why stop at 0-6-0s? Why stop at LNER (though I appreciate it is gr.king's area of expertise)?

Anyone for a Fowler 3P 2-6-2T?!

• Like 2

Thinking on how this will work - hope it has wires and socket to the tender so that DCC Sound can be added if its not being fitted as standard already.

Why not wait until Hornby’s Q6 TTS chip comes out- they’re both 8 pin, and the engines had the same sized wheels and boiler pressure. The cylinders of the J27 were 1.25” shorter stroke than the Q but who will notice that....

Reference generic chassis, I am with gr.king. Surely a well-designed standard cast chassis with a variety of bottoms and wheels is sensible from a development cost point of view...

Essentially the chassis are generic, but in software. The product ranges from Bachmann and Heljan in particular both show this very clearly. Without actually seeing how it is done in detail, I am as sure as one can be that there are sets of template mechanism design layouts in CAD, and the designer selects the suitable template and then enters values of key dimensions into a table which then produces a first cut of the template configured for the specific model.

Once the mechanism layout is satisfactory, then the expensive work starts, designing all the specific visible detail components for that particular model. (Inside out of sight, the mechanism components: motor, gears, shafts, axles, drive couplers, are generic.) in the case of steam 0-6-0s look at Bachmann's 57xx, 3F 0-6-0T and the 3F, 4F, C and J11 0-6-0 mechanisms. Apart from the model specific dimensions, it's all so very like inside.

• Like 1

Why not wait until Hornby’s Q6 TTS chip comes out- they’re both 8 pin, and the engines had the same sized wheels and boiler pressure. The cylinders of the J27 were 1.25” shorter stroke than the Q but who will notice that....

If thats the case, Hopefully locoman can tweak his Q6 project then.

Edited by AGR Model Store

2019 will see the 100th anniversary of the East Kent Light Railway purchasing their Adams Radial locomotive.  To celebrate this milestone, Oxford Rail will be producing a limited production run of 250 commemorative packs featuring the EKR liveried Adams Radial and two newly liveried 5 plank wagons specific to the East Kent area.

OR76MW5006- Tilmanstone company 5 plank wagon

OR76AR009- EKR Anniversary set (Loco and 2 new Tilmanstone wagons with different running numbers)

Fantastic news - The only small issue is that the EKR brought the radial in 1923!! I already have the radial, could do with just the wagons.

Are the wagons going to be a bit on the fictional side? According to John Arkell's PO Wagons of the South East, the only known photo of Kent colliery PO wagons (reproduced in the book) shows a handful of Tilmanstone wagons in the colliery yard sometime between 1915-23- however they're 8-plank, not 5... Still it's not the first time Oxford (or anyone else) have put a PO livery on an inappropriate wagon.

It's also suggested the Tilmanstone POs were internal-user only, although they may have been seen on the EKR, carrying coal destined for export via Dover which I guess is fair enough for the EKR train pack.

Returning to the main topic of discussion, although it's not something I need personally, the J27 is a welcome addition to the scene- Oxford definitely seem to be focussing on smaller locos of pre-grouping origin so far.

Edited by Invicta
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I think it's a typo. I'm pretty sure they mean the 1920s scheme of "L&NER" with the number on the tender, like on the upcoming J36 from Hornby.

It was a typo, Scott confirmed today to me that it is the red lining with L&NER, the BR reference was a typo and should by now be amended

• RMweb Gold

Just seen this. Fantastic news. I’m so pleased. If it’s as good as the N7 we are in for a treat. What a truly magnificent announcement for the NER, LNER, and BR(NER). I hope to have at least two, if not more of them.

I think I need to go and lie down in a darkened room for a while and calm down a little bit. Such very good news in gloomy times.

Best regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

It was a typo, Scott confirmed today to me that it is the red lining with L&NER, the BR reference was a typo and should by now be amended

So, assuming the model isn't superheated, D57 boiler and round spectacles, a nice shiny numberplate from Narrow Planet, NER on the tender and hey presto! a pre war P3. Probably not lined post war and no big shiny numberplate but big yellow numbers on the tender. Looking forward to it.

• Like 3

Are the wagons going to be a bit on the fictional side? According to John Arkell's PO Wagons of the South East, the only known photo of Kent colliery PO wagons (reproduced in the book) shows a handful of Tilmanstone wagons in the colliery yard sometime between 1915-23- however they're 8-plank, not 5... Still it's not the first time Oxford (or anyone else) have put a PO livery on an inappropriate wagon.

It's also suggested the Tilmanstone POs were internal-user only, although they may have been seen on the EKR, carrying coal destined for export via Dover which I guess is fair enough for the EKR train pack.

Returning to the main topic of discussion, although it's not something I need personally, the J27 is a welcome addition to the scene- Oxford definitely seem to be focussing on smaller locos of pre-grouping origin so far.

That's interesting, do you have the title of the book?

I found this pic in the EKR books which agrees with 8 plank type and here directly at the colliery with various pre-gropers wagons. I could not find any pics containing these wagons straying outside the colliery. Even the EKR relics never mixed with other railways stock (they amazing still had wagons built in 1875 in service in 1948 that had been replaced with new wagons be SECR in 1900 and those had disappeared by 1930. Some of the EKR relics even retained the fluffy express buffers!)

Stephens had of telling people he brought the radial in 1919 or 1920 or 1921 and when I brought the EKR radial model, my thoughts were to run her with SECR locos and stock. However records show the purchase was made in 1923. The Oxford set is celebrating 100 years of the date Stephens told someone in an interview that was when he thought he brought her with a pair 5 plank wagons that seem never to have to been part of a colliery roster.

post-15098-0-00190100-1548189246_thumb.jpg

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 1

#44 mentions the GE Section of the LNER, according to Yeadon Vol 47B fifteen of the class worked at March, Cambridge, Peterborough East, Langwith Junction & Ardsley between 1926 and 1942: Nos. 917; 1052; 1024 (1926-28), and Nos. 2341; 2350; 2354; 2357-62; 2387-89 (1926-40/42),  

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Interesting like the N7 they are not doing the preserved J27 - wonder if they are hoping for them to be commissioned by the relevant groups or leaving them to a later release when the sales of yet another "historic" model would be limited.

Likewise Hornby haven't done the preserved Q6 (but there are a couple of discrete holes for pipes under the buffer beam).

The interesting question is whether Oxford will do what Hornby did with its ex-LSW land ex-GE locos and what Bachmann did with its ex-Midland, i.e. pack the loco body to the gunnels, precluding backdating of the models with smaller/lower pitched boilers.

Here it should not take much to achieve a NER condition P3 (1906) or P2 (1904), though even the latter is too modern for me. The wheelbase, however, is good for several other NE classes. 

The P1 (J25) has the same wheel diameter as well as wheelbase, but, of course, a smaller boiler. If Oxford fill the J27 boiler, a conversion won't work.  Even if there is headroom to spare, Oxford may have a cast lower boiler section integral to the chassis, like of the Dean, which would be difficult to deal with.  

Other have larger wheels, but the same wheelbase, which raises the question of whether Oxford Dean Goods wheels could be swopped in?  That potentially brings into view some of the  398 Class and the C1/C Class (J21).

So much will depend upon whether Oxford fills that vast P3/J27 boiler with gubbins.

• Like 1