Oxford Rail announce J27 at Toy Fair

Andy Y

• Moderators

Oxford Rail have shared some spec and CAD info...

Please see attached CAD images for the J27.

The variations are:

P3/diagram 57 boiler

Diagram 57a boiler

Ramsbottom safety valves

Ross pop safety valves

Short and Tall chimneys

Different smoke box doors

Different coal rails.

2 types of wheels (original locos were built without balance weights on centre wheels, later balance weights were added)

Screenshot_20190304-155757.png

Screenshot_20190304-155805.png

Screenshot_20190304-155816.png

Screenshot_20190304-155837.png

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 6

Nice, plenty to digest there! Is it known if these are composites of available detail options out specific to models announced? 

The option of a P3 boiler is good, meeting there should be the possibility of a pre grouping loco, yummy! 

Looking forward to seeing some more on this, including (hopefully) some different angles of the CAD in due course. 

Cheers

J

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Worsdell forever said:

Wow! that short chimney looks short... and a tall dome on a 57a boiler? 

You beat me to it. Strange that no alternate dome is offered or is that Oxfords marketing department being clever in trying to incite debate (hence interest)? The band around the dome is "intriguing".

Interesting to see that the combined keeper plate/brake moulding also appears to include the front frame section and the motor/gear train looks to be following Janus/Hby Peckett practice allowing the under boiler area to be kept clear. Will we be seeing a representation of the motion, I wonder?

Maybe they meant 65813???

30468913251_7f7f36478f_h.jpgN0532_196506_TyneDockShed_18 by Tom Young, on Flickr

Perhaps group  standard buffers and steel buffer plank might follow later?

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I hope it’s just the dome, and nothing else that isn’t right at this early stage. But, hopefully, it will be corrected before metal gets cut, so that different domes will be fitted onto the engines as required. I admit, if necessary, I’ll buy the engines, and change the domes as required. 

I think all else is looking good and it should be a good stablemate to the kit I have.

Best regards,

Rob.

That looks absolutely fantastic. I am really looking forward to the release of this model. I have 2 built from Dave Bradwell kits to P4,  so they are one of my favorite Locos. I am looking forward to these as these are achieving my goal for a NER inspired layout where various pre grouping locos and rolling stock can co mingle with LNER group standards. I currently have 8 20t NER hoppers partly constructed. So by the time this turns up they will all be finished!

I keep expecting with the J26/27 and the Q6 when can we see the wooden 20t Hopper from one of the big manufactuers....

• Like 2

On 05/03/2019 at 08:51, Bernard Lamb said:

V.helpful link. The dome height issue aside, Oxford appear to have matched the boilers to the intended livery in each case. 65817 carried the 57A boiler between 7/46 and 9/52 when it reverted to the P3/57 type until 1/60 when fitted with the 57A again until withdrawal on 1/5/67 and thus good for a late crest livery. They could have got away with offering P3/57 boilers all round and assumed 65817 ran with late crest prior to 1960 but to their credit they have made the effort and offered a wider modelling window

• Like 2

Like DougN I have a Dave Bradwell J27 but this one was built expertly by Simon Bolton for my (under construction) BR(NE) layout. Looking forward to getting at least one of the Oxford Rail J27s.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/04/2019 at 03:52, G567281 said:

I would be grateful if anyone can direct me to a photograph of Class J27 65817 in the 1960’s when it was shedded at Thornaby and should have the late crest.  As a sidebar, Yeadon’s book shows it with the early crest and 65837 with the late crest. 

Many thanks.

The Colour Rail site has 4 pictures of 65817 (I have no vested interest in Colour Rail - I use the site a lot for downloads and modelling reference). 

Although the dates are 1958 to 1967, they're noted as being at Sunderland.

• RMweb Premium
On 05/03/2019 at 13:54, Porcy Mane said:

You beat me to it. Strange that no alternate dome is offered or is that Oxfords marketing department being clever in trying to incite debate (hence interest)? The band around the dome is "intriguing".

Interesting to see that the combined keeper plate/brake moulding also appears to include the front frame section and the motor/gear train looks to be following Janus/Hby Peckett practice allowing the under boiler area to be kept clear. Will we be seeing a representation of the motion, I wonder?

Maybe they meant 65813???

30468913251_7f7f36478f_h.jpgN0532_196506_TyneDockShed_18 by Tom Young, on Flickr

Perhaps group  standard buffers and steel buffer plank might follow later?

P

I think your photo shows a loco with what Dave Bradwell's kit calls a "medium" dome - not high. 65811 and 65817 also had them with 57A boilers - see The Steaming Sixties - 1.  The preserved loco had the medium dome/57A combination in the early NYMR days too. 

Big concern for me is the abrupt step down from smokebox to boiler, with the quarter-round section missing. 

The distance between the cab windows looks a little suspect too - I hope they haven't used the Railway Modeller drawing without referring to my letter in the following month's issue listing all the errors. 

EDIT: I've done a screen grab of the OR image above and reduced it in Word until a Bradwell cab side fits exactly over it. the result is that the OR window frames fit perfectly inside the DB ones - i.e. the OR windows are the right shape and distance apart, but too small: the beading is inside the outline when it should be outside it. 

The keeper plate is awful - totally ruins the outline of the chassis, and doesn't allow for an ashpan. And no J27 ever had brake hangers sloping backwards (and they should be integral with the footplate support braces, which are missing). 

Edited by Daddyman

On 13/04/2019 at 18:55, Daddyman said:

I think your photo shows a loco with what Dave Bradwell's kit calls a "medium" dome - not high. 65811 and 65817 also had them with 57A boilers - see The Steaming Sixties - 1.  The preserved loco had the medium dome/57A combination in the early NYMR days too. 

Big concern for me is the abrupt step down from smokebox to boiler, with the quarter-round section missing. 

The distance between the cab windows looks a little suspect too - I hope they haven't used the Railway Modeller drawing without referring to my letter in the following month's issue listing all the errors. 

EDIT: I've done a screen grab of the OR image above and reduced it in Word until a Bradwell cab side fits exactly over it. the result is that the OR window frames fit perfectly inside the DB ones - i.e. the OR windows are the right shape and distance apart, but too small: the beading is inside the outline when it should be outside it. 

The keeper plate is awful - totally ruins the outline of the chassis, and doesn't allow for an ashpan. And no J27 ever had brake hangers sloping backwards (and they should be integral with the footplate support braces, which are missing). 

I agree, Porcy's photo does show 65813 with what looks like an LNER "reduced" dome. The Oxford rail CAD appears to show the NER "tall" dome on all images. If this is the only dome variant available, does it represent any locomotive in the British Railways period? The only photos I can find appear to be either LNER "reduced" or "low" dome.

• RMweb Premium

How many of you can remember those Orange station signs etc for the NE Region? 

The J27 will be a great addition and what a very sound locomotive design, lasting (along with the Q6) until the end of steam in the NE. I may be a Southerner but I travelled a fair bit in the early 1960s and what a hospitable lot they were at N/S Blyth, Tyne Dock, Sunderland and Gateshead. At least they were when I visited!

Oxford Rail are doing a good job and reasonable prices when the opposition are increasing their prices.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I must admit to being tempted to buy a Q6 and the J27 when available. Tricky justifying them for 70D though when the layout is complete.

They did work the odd South Coast cross country service didn't they??? Double headed??

Nice thought. 

On another matter, I visited Darlington Works way back in December (Saturday the 7th I think) 1963. I was an apprentice from Eastleigh Works and I was shown around by a Darlington apprentice called Steve Shaw. He was a year or two older and we met up about 20 years later in our railway career and Steve gave me a copy of the letter asking him to take me around North Road. I have since lost contact with him, I think he lived in Darlington and was a railway modeller. Anyone know anything about him?

Most grateful if you can help,

Richard B

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, 30368 said:

I must admit to being tempted to buy a Q6 and the J27 when available. Tricky justifying them for 70D though when the layout is complete.

They did work the odd South Coast cross country service didn't they??? Double headed??

I suppose that one could describe North Shields as being on the South Coast.......of Northumberland. Or Hartlepool perhaps, the South Coast of Durham.

• Funny 1

17 hours ago, 30368 said:

Nice thought. 

On another matter, I visited Darlington Works way back in December (Saturday the 7th I think) 1963. I was an apprentice from Eastleigh Works and I was shown around by a Darlington apprentice called Steve Shaw. He was a year or two older and we met up about 20 years later in our railway career and Steve gave me a copy of the letter asking him to take me around North Road. I have since lost contact with him, I think he lived in Darlington and was a railway modeller. Anyone know anything about him?

Most grateful if you can help,

Richard B

Hi Richard. 

I dont know the name, but i cpuld ask the guys at Shildon MRC next time i see them at a show. 

Cheers. Paul 

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Members D1051 and Ryde On Time posted welcome information that first engineering samples are imminent in new topic 'J27 OO model' (now locked).

Thanks to you both, reassuring that it appears the models may appear more or less to the original timescale announced by Oxford Rail .

If anyone is able to post photos of the engineering samples after this weekend, that would be much appreciated.

Regards,

John