Oxford Rail announce J27 at Toy Fair

Andy Y

8 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

...Stick with the junior school playground mentality. You'll be happier but a little more bruised...

We were as happy as larks. All was well with our world, we zipped around everywhere on our bikes (while still at junior school our little gang biked from Welwyn Garden City to Hertford on the A414 regularly in summer, because Hartham pool was half the price of the WGC pool) and there was always baked beans on toast, scrambled eggs or fishfingers when we got home. At school it was made clear to the boys that we would most likely be putting on a uniform to serve the nation, and no one was worried about that, vigorous physical activity was encouraged. I was far from the only boy who messed up at the top of the climbing rope at Junior school and dropped the 15 feet between my plimsolls and the parquet floor of the school hall. (The floor was undamaged.) Only one boy died, braked too late on a steep hill and went under a truck at the main road T junction. We were sorry for Tony, but he had always been inclined to stick his neck out. (The casualty rate picked up in secondary education, what with cheaply available lethal mopeds.)

Still happy as larks. We saw the last of BR steam on ER, where the pacifics were still properly cleaned and winged along, rode the Craven's DMU's down to the Cross with the excellent driver's view, saw Bowie and Bolan perform before they were famous, enjoyed the mighty thunder and visual spectacle of the Blue streak motor testing, and a lot of very interesting overflying jet aircraft regularly made teachers inaudible in the classroom. (I can go on for hours...)

And - back on subject - family and school trips up North meant I saw the last of those pre-group freight loco survivors operating on the old North Eastern, although the passenger traction was solidly diesel. I am so having a J27, even though my modelling area is KX inner sub..

• Like 6

2 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

We were as happy as larks. All was well with our world, we zipped around everywhere on our bikes (while still at junior school our little gang biked from Welwyn Garden City to Hertford on the A414 regularly in summer, because Hartham pool was half the price of the WGC pool) and there was always baked beans on toast, scrambled eggs or fishfingers when we got home. At school it was made clear to the boys that we would most likely be putting on a uniform to serve the nation, and no one was worried about that, vigorous physical activity was encouraged. I was far from the only boy who messed up at the top of the climbing rope at Junior school and dropped the 15 feet between my plimsolls and the parquet floor of the school hall. (The floor was undamaged.) Only one boy died, braked too late on a steep hill and went under a truck at the main road T junction. We were sorry for Tony, but he had always been inclined to stick his neck out. (The casualty rate picked up in secondary education, what with cheaply available lethal mopeds.)

Still happy as larks. We saw the last of BR steam on ER, where the pacifics were still properly cleaned and winged along, rode the Craven's DMU's down to the Cross with the excellent driver's view, saw Bowie and Bolan perform before they were famous, enjoyed the mighty thunder and visual spectacle of the Blue streak motor testing, and a lot of very interesting overflying jet aircraft regularly made teachers inaudible in the classroom. (I can go on for hours...)

And - back on subject - family and school trips up North meant I saw the last of those pre-group freight loco survivors operating on the old North Eastern, although the passenger traction was solidly diesel. I am so having a J27, even though my modelling area is KX inner sub..

More please. Go on for hours. We're all listening.

By the way Porcy, where did you get the offending photograph of Mr. Ebdon with his suspicious looking tash.

I don't remember being such a runt. 

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, RBAGE said:

By the way Porcy, where did you get the offending photograph of Mr. Ebdon with his suspicious looking tash.

Doing some research into Dow-Mac, believe it or not. They built concrete classrooms, motorways, bridges, etc. as well as sleepers. Being infant & junior schooled some miles distant and also being some years your junior:whistle: the phot had that Co Durham look to it and one cheeky little face just stood out. Can't find the site I found it on now but it had little jewels such as this:

1195797911_Dow-MacAdvert1.jpg.c29c7afe5cd3ba44dd2614de5ce20032.jpg

Edited by Porcy Mane

36 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

Doing some research into Dow-Mac, believe it or not. They built concrete classrooms, motorways, bridges, etc. as well as sleepers. Being infant & junior schooled some miles distant and also being some years your junior:whistle: the phot had that Co Durham look to it and one cheeky little face just stood out. Can't find the site I found it on now but it had little jewels such as this:

1195797911_Dow-MacAdvert1.jpg.c29c7afe5cd3ba44dd2614de5ce20032.jpg

All gone now.

I am marked by the fact that every school I ever attended has since been demolished. Wasn't my fault.

• Funny 3

If an item is on public display I wonder to what practical extent a photo ban is actually legally enforceable? It isn't covered by the Official Secrets Act is it? You might be required to leave, but they can't confiscate or forcibly interfere with your camera once the picture is taken, and I doubt that every possible means of publication can be monitored, required to comply, or sued for any sort of meaningful claim for damages in event of non-compliance.

• Agree 1

The item may be on display to the public but in a private venue. The rules concerning taking (and publishing) of photographs from a public place as opposed to a private venue is different.

You could happily invite someone into your home with a camera but insist that  they don't take photographs or don't publish any phots taken. If they didn't comply with your wishes you could take action. Likewise taking photographs from a public place into a private venue is the same. It's still very much a grey area and getting greyer by the day with it becoming  so easy and commonplace to self publish via the internet.

Although surveillance is a different area, think about the ongoing furore surrounding the King Cross development.

P

In certain legal contexts, if the public are admitted to a place, it's a public place. Legal enforcement action is in any case expensive to take, and if the prospects of obtaining a decent award from the court are doubtful then the costs of the action may be money sunk and lost. Pictures taken of objects placed deliberately on display don't readily amount to invasion of personal privacy either. I think it would be very difficult for the manufacturer to lawfully do anything really effective if someone who isn't a pushover were absolutely determined to sneak a picture and to put it slyly in the public domain. Any sort of strong-arm enforcement tactics against the photographer could easily result in a claim of assault....

Only thoughts.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

The question is, why would you want to be an arse about it? It’s hardly like being a whistleblower of an item of national importance. Realistically I suspect the only action taken is that they would stop taking preview models to show which benefits no-one

Edited by Talltim
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, gr.king said:

In certain legal contexts, if the public are admitted to a place, it's a public place. Legal enforcement action is in any case expensive to take, and if the prospects of obtaining a decent award from the court are doubtful then the costs of the action may be money sunk and lost. Pictures taken of objects placed deliberately on display don't readily amount to invasion of personal privacy either. I think it would be very difficult for the manufacturer to lawfully do anything really effective if someone who isn't a pushover were absolutely determined to sneak a picture and to put it slyly in the public domain. Any sort of strong-arm enforcement tactics against the photographer could easily result in a claim of assault....

Only thoughts.

Sounds like an attempt to create cheap publicity/hype for a forthcoming model.

It has worked to an extent as people are now talking about the J27 etc . To me its rather silly , if they dont want want photos taken (why?), then dont place the enginnering samples on public display in the first place.

If they dont like criticism, then dont show the model,  then at that point most people will not pre order the model . Hardly surprising if that does happen, because it may have as many faults as their Dean Goods, which quite rightly recieved a much publicised and correct mauling on release.

Oxford are playing with a double edged sword at the moment .

Edited by micklner
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Fenway Park said:

J27 engineering sample on display today on the Oxford Rail stand at the Lydney show. 

They are are there today only. 

It it looks good but no photos as before.  

Gone by the time I got there :(

3 hours ago, gr.king said:

In certain legal contexts, if the public are admitted to a place, it's a public place.

I think the vast majority of venues were model railway shows will be held are private venues and by paying your admission fee you agree to the rules and conditions of those premises and the organisers. Very much like railway and bus stations.

1 hour ago, micklner said:

Sounds like an attempt to create cheap publicity/hype for a forthcoming model.

And there you may have hit the nail on the head. A well known and documented marketing technique. 

We are talking the world of toy trains, not high fashion, not the automobile industry. Oxford Rail might do well to look at Accurascales marketing "Model" to learn how to generate a bit of goodwill.

P

• Like 2

On 26/09/2019 at 22:25, RBAGE said:

There would have been real J27s kicking about when young Bobby Bage was lining up at Middlestone Moor Junior Mixed.

Happy days.

My Pops lived in Middlestone moor back then, probably went to that school, and did go to Rock Road for secondary. In fact my Grandparents lived in M-moor until 10 years ago. 

Paul. 

1 hour ago, Paul_sterling said:

My Pops lived in Middlestone moor back then, probably went to that school, and did go to Rock Road for secondary. In fact my Grandparents lived in M-moor until 10 years ago. 

Paul. 

Rock Road Infants, the Middlestone Moor Junior Mixed and by the time I got to secondary it was called Spennymoor West Secondary. Then Tudhoe Grange (formerly Durham Road, formerly Alderman Wraith). All gone.

3 minutes ago, RBAGE said:

Rock Road Infants, the Middlestone Moor Junior Mixed and by the time I got to secondary it was called Spennymoor West Secondary. Then Tudhoe Grange (formerly Durham Road, formerly Alderman Wraith). All gone.

Tudhoe Grange for myself, it was TGCS when i started (1998), but they ditched the comprehensive part of the title 3 years later and became TGS. My Dad was born 1956 if that helps.

Paul.  

Sorry that the Oxford Rail rep had gone by the time you arrived.  I was told that Oxford Rail would be there on Saturday. It was a small table with the J27 in the centre surrounded by the 12T tanks and the BR N7 to the rear. 

The rep was good answering the various questions that were put to him.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Paul_sterling said:

Tudhoe Grange for myself, it was TGCS when i started (1998), but they ditched the comprehensive part of the title 3 years later and became TGS. My Dad was born 1956 if that helps.

Paul.  

I was born in 1955. 

Where did he live? 

Well me. I knew Ronnie. I lived at number 69 Heath Road. My auntie Peggy lived at number 19.

The lad next to me in the photo is Frank Petch. He lived round the corner from your dad. Probably about number 12 or 14.

What month was your dad born in? 

• Like 1

On 26/09/2019 at 23:36, durham light infantry said:

Part of me is reminiscening my 60's and 70's education. Corporation Road Nursery, and Harrowgate Hill Infants & Juniors. The other part of me (aged 55 & 1/3 rd)  is risk assessing and writing the report and ordering the safety barriers.

As we're filling in the time waiting for the J27 with memories, I found the Harrowgate Hill reference intriguing.

I was born in a room overlooking the Great North Road at Harrowgate Hill in 1945. It was conveniently 5 minutes walk from the East Coast Main Line. My earliest journeys to school were by trolleybus, changing in the town centre from single to double deck as we didn't have a car then. My first school, Lynton House, Stanhope Road, was just round the corner from Holy Trinity where I believe Edward Thompson married Sir Vincent Raven's daughter Guen. It is back to being a private house. My second school was Raventhorpe in Carmel Road, recently demolished. Sir Vincent Raven's house, also now demolished, was at the other end of the road. Then I went to nearby Uplands, demolished years ago and house and grounds now a housing estate. Finally, I ended up at the Grammar School, just round the corner from where I started and surviving as a sixth form college. To get to these I had to pass either the front or the yard of North Road locomotive works.  My mother drove me to the grammar school on her way to work in a private railway drawing office and we had to go over the level crossing over which everything entering or leaving the works passed, usually pulled by a J94, the driver reading the paper, and often backwards and forwards several times before the gates opened. It was good for train spotting but not good for getting to school on time! Round the corner at the back of the works there was a great heap of J27 boilers with numberplates on high over the fence overlooking a row of houses  and we philosophised whether they counted or not for trainspotting  purposes.  As for health and safety, no one cared in those happy days. There was a footpath from Harrowgate Hill which went right up to the East Coast Main Line and then away again where there was no fence and it went right up to the ballast. We had a den in a bush some 6 feet from the East Coast Main Line with its pacifics thundering past. No one every came to any harm.  I now live 5 minutes drive from the West Coast Main line. It's rather strange as the LMS was generally hated by my contemporaries . "Ask them about Fury" was a local saying!

• Like 2

Just now, DLPG said:

Great to see many fellow Spenny lads on here. We should have a reunion at the start of next month at Spennymoor Show. Wonder if I can persuade Oxford to attend in place of DJ Models with the J27.

It would be good if they did. 

Paul. 

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, DLPG said:

Great to see many fellow Spenny lads on here. We should have a reunion at the start of next month at Spennymoor Show. Wonder if I can persuade Oxford to attend in place of DJ Models with the J27.

Meh! Another year that I'll miss the Spennymoor show :( (And Hartlepool...)

Hopefully next year...

Mark

• Friendly/supportive 1