Oxford Rail announce J27 at Toy Fair

Andy Y

On ‎08‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 16:41, DLPG said:

Great to see many fellow Spenny lads on here. We should have a reunion at the start of next month at Spennymoor Show. Wonder if I can persuade Oxford to attend in place of DJ Models with the J27.

Would be nice... then they can find out how much a J21 is bloody well wanted.

• Like 1

On ‎27‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 14:45, RBAGE said:

Mr. Ebdon with his suspicious looking tash.

Some might say politically incorrect these days! ;)

Rather like you can no longer buy kits from Germany with swastika decals, the days of the toothbrush moustache are surely gone. Thankfully.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There was a photo on Railway Modeller mag's facebook page with Steve Flint holding a decorated BR Loco. No tender attached.

It looked pretty good to my eyes.  Here it is below.  Just a taste to wet your whistle.

Mark

Oxford J27.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

As I hoped, after the excellent N7, the J27 is not disappointing, and I hope to make several purchases. It’s nice to see the three link couplings and fire irons. How well Oxford are doing with this lovely model.
Lets hope that next a B16/1 is developed for passenger services, since we now have two freight engines - the Hornby Q6 being the other one. 

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, micklner said:

Large safety valve on the unlined LNER version whic would be early 1930's at the earliest , correct ?? 

Earliest? No, they were never lined in LNER livery. Balance weights fitted from 1932. Safety-valve trumpets hung on till at least 1936 - and probably beyond, but that's as late as I've ever modelled one. 

4 hours ago, micklner said:

Either way she looks excellent

I wouldn't go that far on the strength of these photos. Cautiously, I'd say the boiler-smokebox relation looks improved, but it's not possible to say if the cab-side windows and brake gear have been corrected. The frames are still too deep (too low between the wheels), but that's probably unavoidable in RTR - Hornby's J36 is the same. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

23 minutes ago, Daddyman said:

Earliest? No, they were never lined in LNER livery. Balance weights fitted from 1932. Safety-valve trumpets hung on till at least 1936 - and probably beyond, but that's as late as I've ever modelled one. 

I wouldn't go that far on the strength of these photos. Cautiously, I'd say the boiler-smokebox relation looks improved, but it's not possible to say if the cab-side windows and brake gear have been corrected. The frames are still too deep (too low between the wheels), but that's probably unavoidable in RTR - Hornby's J36 is the same. 

Yes iI know they were'nt lined !!,  I see what you mean re the Cab windows a tad deep perhaps?. I wont lose any sleep over the frames however, as you said r.t.r , the Tender looks good too, and at a good price too !!

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, micklner said:

Yes iI know they were'nt lined !!,  I see what you mean re the Cab windows a tad deep perhaps?. I wont lose any sleep over the frames however, as you said r.t.r , the Tender looks good too, and at a good price too !!

Not too deep, no - too small, and therefore too far apart on the artwork up-thread. But that is hopefully no longer the case. 

What was your question re safety valves?   

post-7186-0-24669000-1457804064.jpgpost-7186-0-57868400-1457804093.jpgpost-7186-0-77150100-1457804450.jpg

post-7186-0-70472100-1457804487.jpg

1 hour ago, Daddyman said:

Not too deep, no - too small, and therefore too far apart on the artwork up-thread. But that is hopefully no longer the case. 

What was your question re safety valves?   

Just the period of the large dome useage in LNER days !! . As to Cab windows, I will have to compare with the Oxford version against my Bradwell in due course, as above !!

Edited by micklner
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

1 hour ago, Phil Parker said:

"Delivery is currently scheduled for the liddle of 2020."

Retailing through the discount supermarket chain. That'll be novel.

• Funny 4

12 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

"Delivery is currently scheduled for the liddle of 2020."

Retailing through the discount supermarket chain. That'll be novel.

A'll dee the jokes. Sorry, jurks.

Edited by RBAGE
  • Funny 2