Oxford Rail announce J27 at Toy Fair

Andy Y

1 hour ago, MEGair said:

Rails of Sheffield have photos of the models on their website.  These have only been posted in the last few days, so I think they should not be too far away.  Hopefully.

Mark

Just had a look & it also has the early LNER livery so it might not be that long of a wait at all now.

4 hours ago, MEGair said:

Rails of Sheffield have photos of the models on their website.  These have only been posted in the last few days, so I think they should not be too far away.  Hopefully.

Mark

They suggested September when I emailed them.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 28/07/2020 at 17:23, Bishdurham said:

They suggested September when I emailed them.

just idly looking around retailers' web-sites for the J27s and I see Cheltenham Model Centre have 

'Release Date: 30 September 2020'

for Oxford Rail OR76J27004 LNER J27 0-6-0 1214 LNER Black With Red Lining--

https://cheltenhammodelcentre.com/oxford-rail~1385-c/oxford-rail-or76j27004-lner-j27-0-6-0-1214-lner-black-with-red-lining~or76j27004-p.html

looking forward to it :-)

cheers,

Keith

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Surprised 1214 is coming first. I thought it was announced after the others and it has more complicated decoration, so I assumed it would come later on like the late crest N7. 

Also, it's a rather obscure livery/number combination to pick. "L&NER" was applied only during 1923, IIRC, and lining was ditched on goods locos before the end of the twenties. So the model is only really accurate for the period 1923-1929, which I don't think I've ever seen modelled. Yet this is the second time this scheme has been done by a mainstream manufacturer, as Hornby did their J36 with "L&NER" on the tender as well. And those have ended up in the bargain bin, as have the J15 and the Q6 they've done with their post-1946 numbers...

That J36 is very pretty though...

• Like 2

12 hours ago, nathan70000 said:

Surprised 1214 is coming first. I thought it was announced after the others and it has more complicated decoration, so I assumed it would come later on like the late crest N7. 

What leads you to believe that this version is coming first?

Bernard

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, nathan70000 said:

Probably the reason then - looking for impulse buys as there's already a plain LNER one in the range.  This one won't be competing with an even prettier Maude.

• RMweb Premium
On 20/08/2020 at 19:41, nathan70000 said:

Surprised 1214 is coming first.

Also, it's a rather obscure livery/number combination to pick.

I assumed that was the plan.  Release the perceived "least popular" livery first so that those who simply can't wait for their preferred livery will buy the initial release - and then possibly another one later!  See the new Farish Thompson carriages - BR 1950s maroon is not in the first batch.

"L&NER" was applied only during 1923, IIRC, and lining was ditched on goods locos before the end of the twenties. So the model is only really accurate for the period 1923-1929,

So, accurate for a period approx three times as long as the "Loadhaul", "Mainline" and "Transrail" ex-BR freight companies existed - and (like them) the livery may have lasted for longer after the policy change (ownership change in the latter case.)

which I don't think I've ever seen modelled.

No-one modelled post-privatisation railways until someone provided appropriately liveried stock...and now they do!  :D  In this case, as you point out, there are now two "L&NER" lined red rtr locos, so Border Counties Railway in the 1920s, here we come!

(Only partly joking...)

Richard T

Edited by RichardT
Fat fingers
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Also, it's a rather obscure livery/number combination to pick. "L&NER" was applied only during 1923, IIRC, and lining was ditched on goods locos before the end of the twenties. So the model is only really accurate for the period 1923-1929, which I don't think I've ever seen modelled. Yet this is the second time this scheme has been done by a mainstream manufacturer, as Hornby did their J36 with "L&NER" on the tender as well. And those have ended up in the bargain bin, as have the J15 and the Q6 they've done with their post-1946 numbers...

A loco repainted in 1929 might still be in the same condition 5-6 years later. There are enough cases of pre-nationalisation liveries surviving for some time, and the LMS allowed ex L&YR coaches to remain in L&Y livery for nearly 2 decades (last sighting was apparently in 1941...)

I remember a very fine EM model of Stamford as Railway of the Month in the very first Railway Modeller I ever got in the mid 1970s. That was set in early LNER days to allow a few locos to run still in GN livery.

It's a perfectly viable option if you want to run some pre-Grouping liveried stock but aren't prepared to go the whole hog and want more flexibility. This loco will suit anyone who wants to put a few NER-liveried locos into the mix (say a J72, a BTP or a Tennant) . Come to that - it would be ideal to run alongside a Shildon-Newport Bo-Bo electric (electrification was terminated in 1934)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Paul_sterling said:

Well September is here, and I'm getting excited about receiving one of these J27's, I've not bought a loco in months! 

Edit- Cheltenham are quoting 30th Sept for the above mentioned engines. 

Well, it was September, 2019 when Porcy was sharing "no photographs please" images (as well as illicit photographs of young Bobby at Middlestone Moor Junior Mixed) and we were getting excited about what Santa might have in his sack for us.

The earth has almost completed a full cycle since those heady days and we have learned to live with disappointment.

I rushed to finish a Dave Bradwell kit so that I would have the satisfaction of having it before the release. With a bucket full of hindsight, I could have continued at my usual, slovenly pace. All that exertion.

I'm still not holding my breathe.

Another depressing thought filled my head when referring back to junior school. Every school I ever attended has since been demolished. Are they trying to erase every sign that I ever existed? 

• Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, RBAGE said:

Every school I ever attended has since been demolished.

Aye Bob,

not afore Owld Ma Huttons classroom was turned into a police cell and the tech drawing room had it's moment of glory as Inspector Geordie Gently's office.

It appears parts of the school has now being turned into a sculpture. Looks more like a cake to me!

17166635830_6b202f9a20_o.jpgSchool_Sculpture by John william Smith (Smudge), on Flickr

P

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

12 hours ago, RBAGE said:

Well, it was September, 2019 when Porcy was sharing "no photographs please" images (as well as illicit photographs of young Bobby at Middlestone Moor Junior Mixed) and we were getting excited about what Santa might have in his sack for us.

The earth has almost completed a full cycle since those heady days and we have learned to live with disappointment.

I rushed to finish a Dave Bradwell kit so that I would have the satisfaction of having it before the release. With a bucket full of hindsight, I could have continued at my usual, slovenly pace. All that exertion.

I'm still not holding my breathe.

Another depressing thought filled my head when referring back to junior school. Every school I ever attended has since been demolished. Are they trying to erase every sign that I ever existed? 

If its any consolation, the same applies to me, and has done since my twenties, Tudhoe, West Cornforth, both long since gone.

The only school I've attended that still stands (and is the one that really should have been demolished) is the school of Engineering at Teesside University.......................

Paul. 

9 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

Aye Bob,

not afore Owld Ma Huttons classroom was turned into a police cell and the tech drawing room had it's moment of glory as Inspector Geordie Gently's office.

It appears parts of the school has now being turned into a sculpture. Looks more like a cake to me!

17166635830_6b202f9a20_o.jpgSchool_Sculpture by John william Smith (Smudge), on Flickr

P

EEee! I remember Mrs Hutton, her daughter became a model! a fashion one, not a 1:76 one!

The stairwells (where the round windows are in that superb model), I used to blast down them flat out on a Friday night after Barry Coleman's (lovely bloke, not so good a teacher) geography lesson finished to get to the front of the queue for the bus.

Paul. 

Edited by Paul_sterling

3 hours ago, Paul_sterling said:

Mrs Hutton

She nearly pooped herself on the Thursday the Vulcan went over streaming flames & parachutes. She thought her house was on the flight line!

3 hours ago, Paul_sterling said:

Barry Coleman's

Bazza was OK. Considering he left school with no qualifications. He was the only form teacher we had that could be described as inspiring. Most inspiring thing he said to me was, "Porcy, you're an idiot BUT...   at least you know your an idiot!"

We were playing  football with him when the Vulcan went over. He ushered us into the skinny gym and for some reason thought telling us P.J. Proby was a neighbour  (For about the thousandth time.) would take our mind of the crashing nuclear bomber.

He wasn't amused when I told him an air launched V1 meant for Manchester had blawn up just a couple of hundred yards away reet in the middle of Tudders cricket pitch, putting in all of the school windies.

He was a fair football coach, but not in the George Courtney class. Bazza coached us in the under fifteens. Won the league having played 22, won 20 and drew 2. Someone told be he went on to become head?

Don't think he knew much about J27's though!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

She nearly pooped herself on the Thursday the Vulcan went over streaming flames & parachutes. She thought her house was on the flight line!

Bazza was OK. Considering he left school with no qualifications. He was the only form teacher we had that could be described as inspiring. Most inspiring thing he said to me was, "Porcy, you're an idiot BUT...   at least you know your an idiot!"

We were playing  football with him when the Vulcan went over. He ushered us into the skinny gym and for some reason thought telling us P.J. Proby was a neighbour  (For about the thousandth time.) would take our mind of the crashing nuclear bomber.

He wasn't amused when I told him an air launched V1 meant for Manchester had blawn up just a couple of hundred yards away reet in the middle of Tudders cricket pitch, putting in all of the school windies.

He was a fair football coach, but not in the George Courtney class. Bazza coached us in the under fifteens. Won the league having played 22, won 20 and drew 2. Someone told be he went on to become head?

Don't think he knew much about J27's though!

Yep, he was head of the lower school when I was there (1998-2003), Dave Metcalfe took over as Head of PE/Football Coach, not a relative of mine in this case. 

I was never fully up on Barry Coleman, I didn't play football, and developed a love for field events later in my time there, and I didn't shine in his geography lessons, I did much better under Luke Murray in the upper-school. My form teacher in the lower School was the music teacher, Mr Biddulph, I wasn't a fan of his, and despite having musics lessons there, and having a love of singing, the two things never met, I think I'd have probably got more out of singing than I have if he had given me the support then. As it was, he was more interested in teaching his daughter (who was in my class, "U") and those in the school band. 

Mrs Curry was one of the maths teachers then, did really well in her lessons, she was cynical, but amusingly so, she asked a question of us, several put their hands up and she said "is anyone going to answer, or are you just saluting Mr Hitler". 

Mr Yeoman taught me science for most of my time there, in addition to a few others, he replaced the Head of School Mr Mallin when I was there, despite being quite a bit older than him. I like Mr Yeoman, but my mother hated him, the two did not get along. 

Ahhhh Memory Lane!

7 minutes ago, Paul_sterling said:

Dave Metcalfe

Most of them names are new to me. Apart from Dave M. He started Tudhoe about 72/3  (ish) fresh from TTC. Ended up having drink with him and his brother Sam, around Durham most weekends. Them were the days.

16 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

Aye Bob,

P

If my old memory serves me well, I recall she was upstairs, far left, at the back.

Mr. Siddle was far right, at the back (maths).

The cake mix looks a bit dense to me. Or was that the kids?

• Informative/Useful 1

5 minutes ago, RBAGE said:

If my old memory serves me well, I recall she was upstairs, far left, at the back.

"New" block lower deck east in my day. Form teacher post Sept. 70. (1X)  Looked out onto the yard and tennis court. Bazza wuz upstairs (West)

10 minutes ago, RBAGE said:

Mr. Siddle was far right, at the back (maths).

Little baldy fella? Took us for tech. drawing. At least he was one that treated us like adults despite our relative density. (Lead)

9 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

When was that?

At one time PJ Proby lived opposite a friend of mine not far from where I still live. Quite a nice chap and a good neighbour.

Back on topic. I would rather have a late period example with the lower dome. Do Oxford models have separate domes or are they moulded as part of the boiler? I have an old Nucast dome to hand.

Bernard 

11 hours ago, Bernard Lamb said:

When was that?

Early to mid 1970's.  He was doing "cabaret" and the northern working mans club circuit at the time. He lived in an unfurnished house that belonged to a fan.

11 hours ago, Bernard Lamb said:

I would rather have a late period example with the lower dome. Do Oxford models have separate domes or are they moulded as part of the boiler?

From the early cads it looks to be separate but as ever things change. I'm probably totally wrong but I'd imagine the both the chimney and the dome will be both separate items on to maximise variation on the two boiler mouldings.

Edited by Porcy Mane

12 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

Early to mid 1970's.  He was doing "cabaret" and the northern working mans club circuit at the time. He lived in an unfurnished house that belonged to a fan.

From the early cads it looks to be separate but as ever things change. I'm probably totally wrong but I'd imagine the both the chimney and the dome will be both separate items on to maximise variation on the two boiler mouldings.

He must have just lodged there as he had the house in Dudswell near Berkhamsted around that time.

I did see the split lines on the CAD but that could be either separate mouldings or an integral chimney and dome produced by using different tool inserts. I will get a late crest one whatever and take it from their.

Bernard

On 03/09/2020 at 08:00, Paul_sterling said:

If its any consolation, the same applies to me, and has done since my twenties, Tudhoe, West Cornforth, both long since gone.

The only school I've attended that still stands (and is the one that really should have been demolished) is the school of Engineering at Teesside University.......................

Paul. 

The only thing I regret about the demolition about five years ago of  the former premises of the Sir William Turner’s School, Corporation Road, Redcar, is that I wasn’t driving the machine that flattened the *@!#*! place with some of my former sadistic masters in it. 

• Like 2