Oxford Rail announce J27 at Toy Fair

Andy Y

Email from Hatton's, today.

Hello

We thought you may like to know that an item you have on order with us, on order id 4592213, has had some information about its release date added or updated.

Oxford Rail OR76J27003XS Class J27 0-6-0 65817 in BR black with late crest - Digital sound fitted £179.00

Our latest information from the supplier suggests this item will arrive with us between January 2021 & March 2021

Whilst we are hopeful this information is accurate, manufacturer lead times are frequently prone to be delayed.

This information is to be used as a guide only.

We hope that this email has been useful.

Regards

Retail Team
Hattons Model Railways
www.hattons.co.uk

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Posted the OR FB page

J27 Update:

The J27 has been one of the most talked about new Oxford Rail items since we announced them, and I know that many people are desperately awaiting their arrival. Those of you who saw the Pre-production samples at the shows in London, Nuremberg and Glasgow will be aware of how good they looked, but also that there were a few enhancements that we wanted to make to the models.

As we are all aware there has been a great deal of disruption to supply chain in every field of business and our development has suffered Covid-19 delays as well. We are awaiting the revised samples from the factory, which have been delayed by the pandemic. These will have to be checked and approved prior to production and as such it is looking like it will be early 2021 before these locos arrive in the UK.

I know that this will come as a disappointment to some, however, we want to build upon the success of the award-winning Railway gun with these locos and I know that they will be worth the wait.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 4

• 5 weeks later...

To save me re-reading all previous posts, can anyone remember if the issue of chimney height has been brought to the attention of Oxford Rail. Looking at images on websites of the main box shifters, it seems that the chimneys on both BR era locos are incorrect.

Is anyone aware if they have rectified the error or do I need to buy castings from Dave Bradwell?

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, RBAGE said:

To save me re-reading all previous posts, can anyone remember if the issue of chimney height has been brought to the attention of Oxford Rail. Looking at images on websites of the main box shifters, it seems that the chimneys on both BR era locos are incorrect.

Is anyone aware if they have rectified the error or do I need to buy castings from Dave Bradwell?

I'd buy the whole kit while you're on the phone to Dave if I were you - there's no evidence that OR have paid attention to any of the constructive criticism on here, and indeed they've made it clear that they've had enough of experts with their inconvenient facts. The latest photos show no changes to the the cabside windows, brakes or chassis outline, but they do show OR have added an all-new error: underfed tender axleboxes and springs. 

3 hours ago, Daddyman said:

I'd buy the whole kit while you're on the phone to Dave if I were you - there's no evidence that OR have paid attention to any of the constructive criticism on here, and indeed they've made it clear that they've had enough of experts with their inconvenient facts. The latest photos show no changes to the the cabside windows, brakes or chassis outline, but they do show OR have added an all-new error: underfed tender axleboxes and springs. 

Thanks for that. I already have 2 Bradwell J27s. As you say, I might be better buying another from him rather than buy something that I then need to start modifying.

I think you may have helped me make my mind up. Besides, the Bradwell J27 is a lovely kit to build. Very rewarding.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 21/10/2020 at 11:35, RBAGE said:

Thanks for that. I already have 2 Bradwell J27s. As you say, I might be better buying another from him rather than buy something that I then need to start modifying.

I think you may have helped me make my mind up. Besides, the Bradwell J27 is a lovely kit to build. Very rewarding.

A lot really depends on what you are willing to accept. You might remember I mentioned quite early on in this thread about renumbering the one I get (if it ever arrives) to represent the preserved one. I was challenged on that, for the various different details that are incorrect, but for me, Its only going to run on my railway, and I'm not trying to pass it off as a 100% representative model of 65894, so if I'm happy that's all that matters really, the gauge is still over 2mm undersize after all................ 

I've recently bought a J21 kit, and I must admit, the idea of re-wheeling a J27 chassis as a donor for that appeals to me, but that is purely due to my lack of experience in chassis construction being off-putting. 

Paul. 

Edited by Paul_sterling
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 21/10/2020 at 11:41, Paul_sterling said:

A lot really depends on what you are willing to accept. You might remember I mentioned quite early on in this thread about renumbering the one I get (if it ever arrives) to represent the preserved one. I was challenged on that, for the various different details that are incorrect, but for me, Its only going to run on my railway, and I'm now trying to pass it off as a 100% representative model of 65894, so if I'm happy that's all that matters really, the gauge is still over 2mm undersize haha. 

I've recently bought a J21 kit, and I must admit, the idea of re-wheeling a J27 chassis as a donor for that appeals to me, but that is purely due to my lack of experience in chassis construction being off-putting. 

Paul. 

Absolutely right. At the end of the, it's what makes you happy that counts. And as you suggested, there are much bigger compromises elsewhere.

Good luck with the J21. Not much room in one of those for motor and gearbox. I suggest you talk to Chris Gibbons at High Level Kits to sort out the right combination.

If you need any help, give me a shout.

Bob

• Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Tried the link given by Tractionman on Saturday. I could view the You Tube film from Hattons but could not get any Audio on it. As a good deal of the film is Hatton's staff member talking I couldn't make much of the video, except to note that the smokebox door handles have gone missing from the LNER version. I assume this was a review sample that may have taken a few knocks on its travel.

I was hoping a 'delivery expected' date might have been given, but, not being able to hear anything I don't know if anything is quoted.

Wonder whether the problem with no sound is the video or my laptop which has recently installed the latest Windows 10 update?

If anyone can both see and listen to the linked video, I'd be interested to hear any important news.

Regards,

John

• Informative/Useful 1

Can I assume from my failure to see any video play during my first few attempts to use the link today, that the thing only plays when it feels like it, rather than on demand?

Anyway, now I have seen it I agree with Mick, it is just 17+ minutes of sales pitch with occasional static images of the sample models. Nothing really new.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Unfortunately, I had sound and didn't learn anything of importance.  Perhaps we will see it in early 2021, perhaps not.  Quite looking forward to seeing it.  Strange a NER version isn't in the first releases, but that has probably been mentioned before.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to all three of you micklner, gr.king and Bishdurham, for confirming I didn't miss anything important/ relevant to the model or a release date.

I concur with gr.king's experience that the video link plays when it decides to, I waited in limbo for a few minutes before my silent movie commenced.

Now I just need to resolve why I couldn't hear it myself. A look at the 'Windows 10 anybody downloaded it yet ?' topic in Wheeltappers seems in order.

Regards,

John

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks trevor7598 and again to those contributors mentioned previously. 

A post in the Windows Ten thread caused me to check some settings on the laptop.

Looking at the HD Audio Manager (probably for the first time ever) I found that sound in that had been set to 'Mute',  an action certainly not done by me as I would not have known this specific facility was available to change in this way.

Thankfully it was a straightforward  matter of clicking on the icon to get the sound back.

I may try to view the Hattons' Video again tomorrow, just for the sake of proving this audio problem is actually sorted.

Regards,

John

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Quick post script to confirm that I was able to view and listen to the Hattons' video today. Pleased to hear acknowledgement that preserved J27 is owned by the North Eastern Locomotive Preservation Group (NELPG). Don't know where the speculation about a LNER Green livery version has arisen from, I've never encountered that in respect of either the prototypes or the models.

Regards,

John

On 22/10/2020 at 15:41, RBAGE said:

Absolutely right. At the end of the, it's what makes you happy that counts. And as you suggested, there are much bigger compromises elsewhere.

Good luck with the J21. Not much room in one of those for motor and gearbox. I suggest you talk to Chris Gibbons at High Level Kits to sort out the right combination.

If you need any help, give me a shout.

Bob

Thanks Bob, I'll give you a shout when the time comes. I'm stowed out at present printing S1's and Q1's for customers at the moment, so I haven't even looked at the J21. 

Cheers, Paul. 

On 05/11/2020 at 19:23, Brit70053 said:

Quick post script to confirm that I was able to view and listen to the Hattons' video today. Pleased to hear acknowledgement that preserved J27 is owned by the North Eastern Locomotive Preservation Group (NELPG). Don't know where the speculation about a LNER Green livery version has arisen from, I've never encountered that in respect of either the prototypes or the models.

Regards,

John

LNER green would be fictitious, but I would reckon it would look really smart! And perhaps sometimes prototypical accuracy can be passed on if its going to sell in volume (and thus help the business with money to invest in more products we've begged the other big makers for, for years). 

Paul. 

• Like 1

Well, I am pleased that I completed construction of my eBay rescue Nucast J27 kit before returning to sea on Monday. :) A visit to the paint shop for it will have to wait until the New Year though :(

A couple of points from matters upthread - the kit as received included a partly built etched chassis, as well as the Nucast W/M lump & coupling rods. So, as another 'rescue' from a few years ago; an as yet untouched Nucast J21kit which was missing its W/M lump chassis block, is still lurking in the roundtuit pile, said J21 kit now appears to be complete. (It does seem that the same lump was used for both J21 and J27). As it now appears not to be appropriate for my chosen layout location, do I flog the J21 'as is' or build it & then flog it? Decisions, decisions... Mind you, with my track record, I'll build it & then some manufacturer will release a RTR model!

The other point - I live on the site of an old school in my village - any old boys/girls of Landsdowne Comp on here? :D

Mark

• Like 1