Oxford Rail announce J27 at Toy Fair

Andy Y

I've also got a nu cast J21 to get on with. I must admit, I was half waiting for the J27 to arrive from Oxford Rail, and see just how compatible the chassis was, rehweel, and use that.

But its probably easier to build what I've got, needs wheels, motors, gearbox, good God............

Paul. 

• Like 1

I should have most of a Nu-cast J21 somewhere as well as a DJH Q7.  From what I remember I built the tenders.  One day I will look for them or more correctly I will open some boxes and be surprised at what I find.

Probably safe to think that nobody will make a RTR Q7 - that should get them rushing to release it!

• Friendly/supportive 1

3 minutes ago, Bishdurham said:

I should have most of a Nu-cast J21 somewhere as well as a DJH Q7.  From what I remember I built the tenders.  One day I will look for them or more correctly I will open some boxes and be surprised at what I find.

Probably safe to think that nobody will make a RTR Q7 - that should get them rushing to release it!

Can you recall what wheels, motor and gearbox you used, or were planning to use please? 

Its my first time building a kit loco,  though I’ve designed and built quite a few 3D printed locos now.

Thanks. Paul

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Paul_sterling said:

Can you recall what wheels, motor and gearbox you used, or were planning to use please? 

Its my first time building a kit loco,  though I’ve designed and built quite a few 3D printed locos now.

Thanks. Paul

The Nucast J21 I have has Romford wheels, an XO$ type motor and Romford 40:1 gears. After 40+ years it still works! Electricaly it picks up from one side of the loco  (using the non insulated wheels) and teh other side is from the tender wheels.

618167655_nucastJ21(1280x369).jpg.2721fe03c858481ad66f5fa1590235bb.jpg

Baz

• Like 5

On 18/11/2020 at 10:14, Paul_sterling said:

I've also got a nu cast J21 to get on with. I must admit, I was half waiting for the J27 to arrive from Oxford Rail, and see just how compatible the chassis was, rehweel, and use that.

But its probably easier to build what I've got, needs wheels, motors, gearbox, good God............

Paul. 

I think that the main concern there would be whether or not the motor that Oxford use could fit into the J21 boiler, Paul. The J27's boiler is somewhat larger, as we know.

Ah, just bite the bullet & get building - you know you want to :D

Mark

• Agree 1

47 minutes ago, MarkC said:

I think that the main concern there would be whether or not the motor that Oxford use could fit into the J21 boiler, Paul. The J27's boiler is somewhat larger, as we know.

Ah, just bite the bullet & get building - you know you want to :D

Mark

Thanks Mark, I'm inclined to agree with you, but it depends if Oxford have the foresight to consider the chassis for an RTR J21 in the future, you never know, they may have :lol:

Priority at present is finishing the LH&JC No.5 Project.............. 

50616755417_5d43301d61_b.jpg

50616644831_f9e2733f38_b.jpg

50616755617_768cf41105_b.jpg

The prints of No.5 are crude mule prints by the way, not finished ones! 

Paul. 

Edited by Paul_sterling
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

2 hours ago, Paul_sterling said:

Thanks Mark, I'm inclined to agree with you, but it depends if Oxford have the foresight to consider the chassis for an RTR J21 in the future, you never know, they may have :lol:

Priority at present is finishing the LH&JC No.5 Project.............. 

50616755417_5d43301d61_b.jpg

50616644831_f9e2733f38_b.jpg

50616755617_768cf41105_b.jpg

The prints of No.5 are crude mule prints by the way, not finished ones! 

Paul. 

Fantastic work. You'll want for nowt.

• Friendly/supportive 1

14 minutes ago, Paul_sterling said:

Thankfully not, not unless you want a rotring pen! lol. 

Got loads ta muchly. Most of them over fifty years old. Used to use them in Tudder Tech Drawing.  Mr. Potts.  (I think?)

Re: J21s

My Nucast J21 looks like this:-

Post_10.JPG.258a5267afbaa0ab86bccfa225a1c589.JPG

It was one of the first kits I built, but then was re-built about eight years ago. The main problem with the original build was that to avoid the wheels shorting on the inside of the splashers, the whole body was mounted too high.

More careful re-construction solved this. 

My model, which is accurate as I can make it, now includes:-

Detail cab interior

Working inside valve gear (at the least the top half of it)

Representation of the piston valves below the inside cylinders. (I have not seen this feature modelled by anyone else!)

Correct brake pull rods outside the wheels.

Details of construction are here.

I also have a Dave Alexander kit to complete. 

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

29 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

Got loads ta muchly. Most of them over fifty years old. Used to use them in Tudder Tech Drawing.  Mr. Potts.  (I think?)

Not a name I recall from Tudhoe, possibly before my time. I can't recall the name of the teacher for Tech drawing when I was there, it was in the upper school (St Charles Rd), but he wasn't that old the teacher, mid 40's then, so probably about early to mid 60's now, nice bloke as I recall, as was the other technology teacher, Mr Temple, who was also a member of the school band. 

Paul. 

5 minutes ago, drmditch said:

Re: J21s

My Nucast J21 looks like this:-

It was one of the first kits I built, but then was re-built about eight years ago. The main problem with the original build was that to avoid the wheels shorting on the inside of the splashers, the whole body was mounted too high.

More careful re-construction solved this. 

My model, which is accurate as I can make it, now includes:-

Detail cab interior

Working inside valve gear (at the least the top half of it)

Representation of the piston valves below the inside cylinders. (I have not seen this feature modelled by anyone else!)

Correct brake pull rods outside the wheels.

Details of construction are here.

I also have a Dave Alexander kit to complete. 

Lovely work, what was it during reconstruction you did to sort the body mounting height if you don't mind me asking?

19 hours ago, Paul_sterling said:

Thanks. Paul

Hi Paul,

I worked at W&H at the time so it would have been Romford's  5' 1 1/4" works out to about 21mm and a 40:1 gear set and DS 10 motor.  Not sure if you can still find a DS10 but it was the smallest we supplied.  Not sure if I wouldn't use Alan Gibson wheels now.  That was for the J21, I used the white metal blob they called a chassis.  The Q7 came with wheels with plastic centers.  Not sure who made them but this was at the time DJH had just moved to Consett and before they used Romford's.

Best

Richard

• Informative/Useful 1

8 minutes ago, Bishdurham said:

Hi Paul,

I worked at W&H at the time so it would have been Romford's  5' 1 1/4" works out to about 21mm and a 40:1 gear set and DS 10 motor.  Not sure if you can still find a DS10 but it was the smallest we supplied.  Not sure if I wouldn't use Alan Gibson wheels now.  That was for the J21, I used the white metal blob they called a chassis.  The Q7 came with wheels with plastic centers.  Not sure who made them but this was at the time DJH had just moved to Consett and before they used Romford's.

Best

Richard

Thanks Richard, 

I'll base my search on that, and see what appears. 

Thanks!

Paul. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul_sterling said:

Lovely work, what was it during reconstruction you did to sort the body mounting height if you don't mind me asking?

From what I now remember, the inside of the splashers had to be thinned quite a lot, as did the 'inside join' between the splashers and the footplate.  Where the white metal got very thin I reinforced it with two-part epoxy.

I didn't have a detailed drawing (other then the R M Beattie one from an old RM), and the early drawing in Ken Hoole's 'Illustrated History of NER Locomotives. As far as I could work out, the basic Nu-cast castings were/are quite accurate. The key dimensions I took the the RCTS 'Green Book'), and amongst other things that gives the pitch of the boiler. This, with the aid of a jig or two lining up with the centre hole of the smokebox door, allows one to get to the boiler height. Then it was a matter of offering up, fettling and fitting.

The brass frames made up quite well. I had to modify them a bit to fit a motion plate, slide bars etc. I use a live locomotive chassis, with the tender live to the other side, and an insulated drawbar. None-the-less, I also fit 'wiper' contacts to as many other wheels as I can. This seems to help with small locomotives!

Certainly, I'm much happier with mine now than I was with it's first iteration and runs quite nicely.

Edited by drmditch
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

30 minutes ago, drmditch said:

From what I now remember, the inside of the splashers had to be thinned quite a lot, as did the 'inside join' between the splashers and the footplate.  Where the white metal got very thin I reinforced it with two-part epoxy.

I didn't have a detailed drawing (other then the R M Beattie one from an old RM), and the early drawing in Ken Hoole's 'Illustrated History of NER Locomotives. As far as I could work out, the basic Nu-cast castings were/are quite accurate. The key dimensions I took the the RCTS 'Green Book'), and amongst other things that gives the pitch of the boiler. This, with the aid of a jig or two lining up with the centre hole of the smokebox door, allows one to get to the boiler height. Then it was a matter of offering up, fettling and fitting.

The brass frames made up quite well. I had to modify them a bit to fit a motion plate, slide bars etc. I use a live locomotive chassis, with the tender live to the other side, and an insulated drawbar. None-the-less, I also fit 'wiper' contacts to as many other wheels as I can. This seems to help with small locomotives!

Certainly, I'm much happier with mine now than I was with it's first iteration and runs quite nicely.

Fab thank you. I may be back for more info haha.

Cheers, Paul.

2 hours ago, Bishdurham said:

Hi Paul,

Best

Richard

Did those wheels use Romford axles, Richard? If so, they were W & T.

Mark.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Paul_sterling said:

Morning All, 

I was just wondering if anyone had heard any updates on the J27 beyond Hattons estimated arrival of between Jan and March (!) 

Thanks, Paul. 

June 2021 according to Cheltenham Model Centres:

https://cheltenhammodelcentre.com/locomotives/oxford-rail-or76j27004-lner-j27-0-6-0-1214-lner-black-red-lining/p-or76j27004

cheers,

Keith

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Paul_sterling said:

Thanks Keith, 

I wonder if we'll see it before Christmas........

Paul. 

I think you're putting too much responsibility on the shoulders of an old man with a white beard and a preference for red clothes. The poor fellow has little influence over such matters.

Nor, it would seem, does Oxford Rail. So maybe your reliance on the workings of the old gentleman in red will pay dividends. 

Write it down on a piece of paper, send it up the chimney and see what happens. Worth a try.

• Funny 2

16 minutes ago, RBAGE said:

I think you're putting too much responsibility on the shoulders of an old man with a white beard and a preference for red clothes. The poor fellow has little influence over such matters.

Nor, it would seem, does Oxford Rail. So maybe your reliance on the workings of the old gentleman in red will pay dividends. 

Write it down on a piece of paper, send it up the chimney and see what happens. Worth a try.

At this stage I'll take the project timekeeping of an old man with a big white beard to deliver on time over Oxford Rail.........

P. 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1