Oxford Rail announce J27 at Toy Fair

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium
On 18/01/2021 at 09:29, Paul_sterling said:

At this stage I'll take the project timekeeping of an old man with a big white beard to deliver on time over Oxford Rail.........

P. 

While we're waiting for the goose to get fat again, I've just noticed that very nice Kitson tank in your sig.  Does it feature on a thread anywhere?

On 19/11/2020 at 09:32, MarkC said:

I think that the main concern there would be whether or not the motor that Oxford use could fit into the J21 boiler, Paul. The J27's boiler is somewhat larger, as we know.

Ah, just bite the bullet & get building - you know you want to :D

Mark

Wrong size wheels for a Class C1/C surely?

And wrong wheelbase for a P.

Unfortunately for Oxford, I have no use for a P2 or P3 - just too modern - but a P1 would be OK and a Class U 0-6-2T I'd very much like.

Unfortunately for me, I suspect that Oxford will have packed that fat 5'6" diameter boiler to its full height with gubbins. 

Has Oxford released any cut-away images showing what they've packed inside, does anyone know?

On 18/11/2020 at 09:14, Paul_sterling said:

I've also got a nu cast J21 to get on with. I must admit, I was half waiting for the J27 to arrive from Oxford Rail, and see just how compatible the chassis was, rehweel, and use that.

But its probably easier to build what I've got, needs wheels, motors, gearbox, good God............

Paul. 

Surely you would be better off using the Bachmann Wainwright SE&CR C Class 0-6-0 as a donor chassis for a NER Class C1/C (LNER J21)?

The wheelbase is a match and the wheel diameter a much closer match (there's half an inch difference). Further, you are far less likely to suffer clearance problems.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Surely you would be better off using the Bachmann Wainwright SE&CR C Class 0-6-0 as a donor chassis for a NER Class C1/C (LNER J21)?

The wheelbase is a match and the wheel diameter a much closer match (there's half an inch difference). Further, you are far less likely to suffer clearance problems.

It never occurred to me, thank you for the tip. 

Cheers, Paul

1 minute ago, Paul_sterling said:

It never occurred to me, thank you for the tip. 

Cheers, Paul

No problem! 

BTW, I did not read everything in sequence, so I had not realised that you planned to re-wheel a J27 chassis. Still, the Bachmann potentially saves you the bother and is probably more likely to fit under a J21.

Good luck!

2 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

No problem! 

BTW, I did not read everything in sequence, so I had not realised that you planned to re-wheel a J27 chassis. Still, the Bachmann potentially saves you the bother and is probably more likely to fit under a J21.

Good luck!

That was the basic idea yes. re-wheel on the basis of a shared wheel spacing. Re-wheeling comes with its own challenges if the new wheels axle dia doesn't match the donor chassis of course. 

I've got a J27 on pre-order, which was to stay as a J27, but the intention was, I would take the shell off to have a look and see whats what, that way, if it was suitable, I'd order another one to become the donor. 

As you've kindly suggested the Bachmann C-class, I'll look into it, and perhaps go down that road.

Thanks, Paul. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Paul_sterling said:

That was the basic idea yes. re-wheel on the basis of a shared wheel spacing. Re-wheeling comes with its own challenges if the new wheels axle dia doesn't match the donor chassis of course. 

I've got a J27 on pre-order, which was to stay as a J27, but the intention was, I would take the shell off to have a look and see whats what, that way, if it was suitable, I'd order another one to become the donor. 

As you've kindly suggested the Bachmann C-class, I'll look into it, and perhaps go down that road.

Thanks, Paul. 

Well, my limited experience is that it is never as simple as it looks using any donor chassis, so it's very much suck it and see.

I can testify to this as I'm currently wresting with a SE&CR O1 body - designed to fit a Hornby Jinty chassis IRRC - in order to marry it to an Oxford Rail Dean Goods chassis, which is a much closer fit in terms of wheelbase.

Well, the Oxford Rail Dean Goods had to be good for something, right? See also some LNWR goods classes.

I daresay the Oxford J26 and J27 will be better models, so I'm not put off by the company's earlier mistakes, but, alas, they are just too modern for my fin de siècle NER projects!  

Given your CAD and 3D printing skills, designing a J21 body specifically to fit the Bachmann C Class chassis is probably the best way to guaranteed success!

I have a soft spot for the various private mineral lines of the Great Northern Coalfield, so am very interested to see that you are tackling the Lambton.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You might also have a look at Hornby's J15. I've no idea of the wheelbase and spacing, but it was designed by the same CME for a similar job, and might be obtained more easily/cheaply. If anything, it's a better runner (or at least, a more reliable one, in my experience).

17 minutes ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

You might also have a look at Hornby's J15. I've no idea of the wheelbase and spacing, but it was designed by the same CME for a similar job, and might be obtained more easily/cheaply. If anything, it's a better runner (or at least, a more reliable one, in my experience).

wheelbase close (5 inches), but spacing quite a bit different. I had thought similar myself, and do have a couple of J15's, as they are lovely little engines. 

J15 and J21 were both T.W. the J27 was Wilson, and he also substantially rebuilt the J21's as well. 

Edited by Paul_sterling

If you can find a Nucast J24 or J25 body/kit , they ran on the same chassis/ wheel size  as the J26/27 , ok, they are 2mm shorter wheelbase on the prototype.

However it may be even closer than that , on the Oxford chassis ,when it does finally arrive, same Tenders again as well.

5 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

4 hours ago, Paul_sterling said:

wheelbase close (5 inches), but spacing quite a bit different. I had thought similar myself, and do have a couple of J15's, as they are lovely little engines. 

J15 and J21 were both T.W. the J27 was Wilson, and he also substantially rebuilt the J21's as well. 

4’7 ¼" at 8’ + 8’6”, NER Classes P1/P2/P3 Classes (LNER J25/J26/J27) 0-6-0 

4’11” at 7’7” + 8’6”, GER Y14 Class (LNER J15) 0-6-0; GER N31 Class (LNER J14) 0-6-0

5’1½” at 8’ + 8’6”, NER Class C/C1 0-6-0 (LNER J21)

5’2” at 8’ + 8’6”, SE&CR C Class 0-6-0

• Friendly/supportive 1

12 hours ago, Edwardian said:

4’7 ¼" at 8’ + 8’6”, NER Classes P1/P2/P3 Classes (LNER J25/J26/J27) 0-6-0 

4’11” at 7’7” + 8’6”, GER Y14 Class (LNER J15) 0-6-0; GER N31 Class (LNER J14) 0-6-0

5’1½” at 8’ + 8’6”, NER Class C/C1 0-6-0 (LNER J21)

5’2” at 8’ + 8’6”, SE&CR C Class 0-6-0

Fantastic thank you. 

C-class it is. I've also noticed someone doing a convincing L&Y A class in a similar manner. 

Hopefully the rear biased motor of the C class will be okay to fit inside the J21 body (though I can always CAD and print a shell that's dedicated to fitting on the C class chassis, hoping not to have to do that just yet). 

Thanks, Paul. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

21 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

Looks like 8’ + 8’6” was the NER standard. Interesting that the J15 lasted longer than the J21 did — perhaps because there were more lightly-laid lines in GER than NER territory.

Possibly not worked quite as hard too, East Anglia is fairly flat. The J21's had the stainmore route to contend with. 

Edited by Paul_sterling
  • Agree 2

On 21/01/2021 at 15:54, Edwardian said:

Well, my limited experience is that it is never as simple as it looks using any donor chassis, so it's very much suck it and see.

I can testify to this as I'm currently wresting with a SE&CR O1 body - designed to fit a Hornby Jinty chassis IRRC - in order to marry it to an Oxford Rail Dean Goods chassis, which is a much closer fit in terms of wheelbase.

Well, the Oxford Rail Dean Goods had to be good for something, right? See also some LNWR goods classes.

I daresay the Oxford J26 and J27 will be better models, so I'm not put off by the company's earlier mistakes, but, alas, they are just too modern for my fin de siècle NER projects!  

Given your CAD and 3D printing skills, designing a J21 body specifically to fit the Bachmann C Class chassis is probably the best way to guaranteed success!

I have a soft spot for the various private mineral lines of the Great Northern Coalfield, so am very interested to see that you are tackling the Lambton.

Thank you, 

The Lambton started off as a very unexpected project, I bought a shell kit of No.29, but when i came to make it, it really wasn't up to the job, a poor resin cast. So I started by copying that shell into CAD, intended to do a printed version of it, having, at ther time just finished a LNER Q1, and LNER S1 by the same method. However, the deeper I dug, I found that the donor chassis (J72) really was too small for No.29, and in the end, I went to Grosmont, with the help of the NYMR and LLT, and measured up 29, found the Bachmann Midland 1F to be the perfect donor for it, albeit turned round the opposite way, and did my own thing. 

No.5 has been to some degree, much easier, the GWR 56XX, which shares its ancestry with No.5, was the donor right from the start, and No.5 was still in relatively complete condition when I measured it up. I'd also moved on in print technology to, so No.5 could be printed in a single piece, rather than seven as 29 was. 

This thread is for No.5

Both are lovely engines to model off, 29 is "beautiful" in my eyes, No.5 looks more "brute" till you get up close to it, and it has much more styled detail than 29 does, such as the tops of the cab grab rails, they are pigtailed, a swine (!) to model, but look really good. 

Anyway, I've ordered a suitable Bachmann C-class to cast my eyes over and see whats what. I found an article online of that chassis being used on a L&Y A class, which is a similarly diminutive 0-6-0 tender. A review compared the C and the J15, the C, has most of its motor gubbins towards the rear, whereas the J15 uses a long slender motor-drivetrain and cardan shaft to keep the dimensions minimised. 

I have a thread open for the J21, enquiring about chassis, gearboxes and motors, so I'll continue on there once the C arrives. ITs interesting to note, that of the 6 locomotives I've designed shells for, all have ended up with Bachmann chassis, not through brand loyalty, they just happen to be the right dimensions!

Paul. 

Edited by Paul_sterling
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Oxford Rail gave details of their release 1 2021 last night on their Facebook pages. The J27  is "in production. Ready to ship after Chinese New Year" and "due Q2/2021", while the J26 is "to be released Q4 2021".

John Storey

Edited by it's-er
Added "due Q2/2021"
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, it's-er said:

Oxford Rail gave details of their release 1 2021 last night on their Facebook pages. The J27  is "in production. Ready to ship after Chinese New Year" and "due Q2/2021", while the J26 is "to be released Q4 2021".

John Storey

an update on Hatton's web-site too about the J27:

https://www.hattons.co.uk/newsdetail.aspx?id=449

with tasty pics...

cheers,

Keith

Edited by tractionman
sorry Neil B, we posted at the same time!
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Fredo said:

Hi, is BR black with late crest suitable for 65894 if I renumber one of the J27’s to that as it had a superheater and LNER57a boiler. Thanks Fred 

The Oxford offering would be unsuitable for 65894 without surgery. Wrong dome.

Chimney looks a bit iffy.

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting when looking at Hattons website- the page for the information has a delivery date of Q2 this year. however each of the locos has a eta of jan to March which is Q1. As we are most of the way through Q1 it looks like the info page is a better estimate (Q2)

I am rather interested in getting one of these. But the Q2 delivery works well for my bank account! I would have thought that there would  have been more info out by now. 

• Like 1

On 01/03/2021 at 02:05, DougN said:

Interesting when looking at Hattons website- the page for the information has a delivery date of Q2 this year. however each of the locos has a eta of jan to March which is Q1. As we are most of the way through Q1 it looks like the info page is a better estimate (Q2)

I am rather interested in getting one of these. But the Q2 delivery works well for my bank account! I would have thought that there would  have been more info out by now. 

With shipping being in crisis worldwide I doubt if Oxford have much of a clue where their locos are once they leave the factory, and if they know when they leave port there are delays at the UK port of anything up to a month before the contents of any given container are released. 

One would hope Oxford would get more than 24 hours notice their shipment has arrived in the UK but with Covid and Brexit disrupting ports there is no guarantee .

We'll just have to wait to be told Oxford have got them at their distribution centre ready to send to dealers.   At that point I'll be looking for a 65817 with sound- another loco that just fits the headshunt of NO PLACE but is really too big for the layout- must build a bigger OO layout next....

Les

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

If they have a ship name for the container the items are in then they can track thde ship on line. Once it docks things get a bit more difficult but the timecto get items through customs has reduced a little. Big problem is getting items from rotterdam if the container is unloaded there.

• Like 1

Having done a little shipping over the years... I always ask for a copy of the Bill of lading. It defines the container, the ship, the likely docking date. Yes then up to the stevedores and customs to actually release it to Oxford! So I understand it will be I guess in the next few months before everything arrives! Still keen on a sound fitted one... in time! Nice to look forward to these things.