Oxford Rail announce J27 at Toy Fair

Andy Y

15 hours ago, Les1952 said:

It will turn up when it arrives.  No point in becoming impatient....

Les

Agree. I been waiting over 50 years for a RTR model J27. I can wait a little longer.

65828 Ashington Colliery 1954.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Alcanman said:

Agree. I been waiting over 50 years for a RTR model J27. I can wait a little longer.

65828 Ashington Colliery 1954.jpg

That arrangement with wooden hoppers at the front of a train of otherwise steel types seems to crop up in photos more than chance would suggest.  Is it a genuine pattern or am I just suffering from confirmation bias?  Presumably strengtheners added to the regular steel sets to meet traffic or replace cripples?

22 minutes ago, Flying Pig said:

That arrangement with wooden hoppers at the front of a train of otherwise steel types seems to crop up in photos more than chance would suggest.  Is it a genuine pattern or am I just suffering from confirmation bias?  Presumably strengtheners added to the regular steel sets to meet traffic or replace cripples?

Although not old enough to remember seeing wooden hoppers on BR, I do remember seeing rakes of HTO/HTV which would be mixed and include five rib and rebodied three rib wagons.  I think whatever was about was used to meet traffic.  The NCB were still using wooden bodied wagons in the North East and they would be a real mixture as well.  

37 minutes ago, Flying Pig said:

Interesting observation. The photo was taken at Ashington Colliery in 1954 and ,presumably, the wooden bodied hoppers are NCB types.

Here is another photo taken much later in August 1967 at Newsham, Northumberland which shows a mix of wagon types with 2 wooden bodied wagons at the front and, on the left , a 16 year old Alcanman!  Sadly, by this time Blyth's last few remaining J27s had been transferred to Sunderland

Me at Newsham 1967.jpg

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, Bishdurham said:

Although not old enough to remember seeing wooden hoppers on BR, I do remember seeing rakes of HTO/HTV which would be mixed and include five rib and rebodied three rib wagons.  I think whatever was about was used to meet traffic.  The NCB were still using wooden bodied wagons in the North East and they would be a real mixture as well.  

The Lambton Colliery had a large contingent of wooden hopper wagons of this pattern (and its something I'm often asked for as a printed offering), I wonder if the BR running rights meant the occasional mixing of stock too?

Paul. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Alcanman said:

Interesting observation. The photo was taken at Ashington Colliery in 1954 and ,presumably, the wooden bodied hoppers are NCB types.

Here is another photo taken much later in August 1967 at Newsham, Northumberland which shows a mix of wagon types with 2 wooden bodied wagons at the front and, on the left , a 16 year old Alcanman!  Sadly, by this time Blyth's last few remaining J27s had been transferred to Sunderland

Me at Newsham 1967.jpg

I know Ashington had some large wagons, but those do look like the NER P7 type, even down to axlebox detail (and the second one appears to have an end brake lever).  Also, I haven't seen a photo of a BR loco working NCB wagons. 

Interesting to see merchandise wagons in use for coal (if it is coal) in the later photo.  

1 hour ago, Paul_sterling said:

The Lambton Colliery had a large contingent of wooden hopper wagons of this pattern (and its something I'm often asked for as a printed offering), I wonder if the BR running rights meant the occasional mixing of stock too?

Paul. 

Photos of trains behind Lambton locos that I've seen show either the 13t wooden hoppers (which are distinctly smaller than the 20t ones) or BR 21t steel hoppers.  The NCB did have some 21t steel hoppers to a slightly different design but I don't know if they ever ran on the Lambton system.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Paul_sterling said:

For some, it won't be impatience that is the issue. Some have finely balanced budgets, and will want to know if they have to hold back the funds this month for the arrival or non-arrival of the J27, or whether it can be allocated elsewhere. 

Meanwhile, I've been on with another NE 0-6-0 Tender Loco. 

51184562830_980336621d_b.jpg

51200482685_e48915f377_k.jpg

I grew fed up of waiting for a manufacturer to make an RTR J21!

Paul. 

Lovely job. Where can I get one?

which chassis is it on?

Bob

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Flying Pig said:

That arrangement with wooden hoppers at the front of a train of otherwise steel types seems to crop up in photos more than chance would suggest. 

I wouldn't read too much into it. 

I've seen to opposite in photos. The wooden u'frame  13 ton hopper  is  a good example. Plenty could be seen into the mid 1960's and the odd loaded one could often be seen in the middle of a rake of 21 tonners.

I've never read anything in the appendices instructing that wooden under framed vehicles be marshalled at the front of a rake of wagons, but that's not to say  there was no rule.

P

• Like 2

16 hours ago, RBAGE said:

Lovely job. Where can I get one?

which chassis is it on?

Bob

Hi Bob 

Wainwright c class (Bachmann), just drop me a message as I can put one in the queue for you. 

Thanks. Paul

Edited by Paul_sterling
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

I wouldn't read too much into it. 

I've seen to opposite in photos. The wooden u'frame  13 ton hopper  is  a good example. Plenty could be seen into the mid 1960's and the odd loaded one could often be seen in the middle of a rake of 21 tonners.

I've never read anything in the appendices instructing that wooden under framed vehicles be marshalled at the front of a rake of wagons, but that's not to say  there was no rule.

P

Yes, I had a trawl through Irishswissernie's East Durham archive and quickly found several counter-examples, so clearly I'm just misremembering.  

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, gr.king said:

Excessively flared, unduly short chimney? Insufficient radius to the curves around the base of the dome? Straight-sided safety valve trumpet???

All covered prior. Hallelujah for Mr. Bradwell.

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Am I allowed to get excited yet? Yes I think so. I was even planning to work on my Dave Bradwell J26 this week end from years ago started but never finished!. So I will content my self with that until they become freely available.....

Of course the one I will go for is the sound fitted version!!!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

All covered prior. Hallelujah for Mr. Bradwell.

Implying that it has been put into full scale production in disregard of, or without correction of, clearly known errors in the pre-production "samples" (real or virtual)?

40 minutes ago, gr.king said:

Implying that it has been put into full scale production in disregard of, or without correction of, clearly known errors in the pre-production "samples" (real or virtual)?

Something that I'll not lose any sleep over. As I said, "hallelujah for Bradders".

And then there's also the prospective opportunities for those other entrepreneurial little chappies who design and manufacture those after market fittings to correct such errors or allow conversion to a different variant.

Lets face it, at the prices being asked for some of today's rtr loco's, Oxfords J27, despite what appears to be a number of shortcoming doesn't look bad value.

I just hope, once the model is generally available, the reviewers and those that think themselves influencers* are knowledgeable and sincere enough, enough to give a decent honest appraisal.

*a word as dire as bookazine.

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 6
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, gr.king said:

The alert email from Hattons says that 'the images here show an early painted sample that is not fully representative of the final models'. The email includes both Hattons pictures and the ones used on the Oxford Rail website. There is hope yet  :)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

The alert email from Hattons says that 'the images here show an early painted sample that is not fully representative of the final models'. The email includes both Hattons pictures and the ones used on the Oxford Rail website. There is hope yet  :)

There is always hope!

Just looking at the RCTS Part 5 it almost looks like no two pictures were the same, plenty of variations through the 60 years they were in service.  

I'm really looking forward to getting mine and for my fictional and as yet unbuilt Heritage Railway it will be right under Rule 1

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

20 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

Something that I'll not lose any sleep over. As I said, "hallelujah for Bradders".

And then there's also the prospective opportunities for those other entrepreneurial little chappies who design and manufacture those after market fittings to correct such errors or allow conversion to a different variant.

Lets face it, at the prices being asked for some of today's rtr loco's, Oxfords J27, despite what appears to be a number of shortcoming doesn't look bad value.

I just hope, once the model is generally available, the reviewers and those that think themselves influencers* are knowledgeable and sincere enough, enough to give a decent honest appraisal.

*a word as dire as bookazine.

Porcy,

Hallelujah indeed, but Mr. Bradwell also satisfies your second paragraph. He can provide all manner of beautifully cast brass components to correct the mistakes of others who might produce a J27. I’m sure you know that already but others might not.

Think I would still rather have a complete kit though.

Aye Burb, ya quite right.

I feel rather smug that I'm well stocked up with decent looking after market tender springs.

If the Hornby Q6 is anything to go go by, the introduction of Oxfords J27 will do wonders for the sales of  the Bradwell Kit.

43 minutes ago, RBAGE said:

Think I would still rather have a complete kit though.

You'd only sell it to me at a massive discount then put yer dosh towards buying one of the up and coming V1/V3 kits.

P

p.s. had a good look around the sides that are brass this morning and didn't see any Dublo Deltics sticking out of any hedgerows.

2 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

Aye Burb, ya quite right.

I feel rather smug that I'm well stocked up with decent looking after market tender springs.

If the Hornby Q6 is anything to go go by, the introduction of Oxfords J27 will do wonders for the sales of  the Bradwell Kit.

You'd only sell it to me at a massive discount then put yer dosh towards buying one of the up and coming V1/V3 kits.

P

p.s. had a good look around the sides that are brass this morning and didn't see any Dublo Deltics sticking out of any hedgerows.

Ah! Knew you were coming so tidied everything up and went to the Isle of Wight for the eclipse. Wrong end of the kingdom.

What’s the going rate for a second hand Bradwell J27 kit? Slightly soiled. Can I say soiled?

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, RBAGE said:

Ah! Knew you were coming so tidied everything up and went to the Isle of Wight for the eclipse. Wrong end of the kingdom.

Yep, the local  populous told me how genteel the area had become recently. They also wondered when the noisy neighbour  (DCC sound no doubt) would be returning?

• Like 1

Is it too much to ask for manufacturers to produce products with no errors at a reasonable price? 

We shouldn't have to spend more money after buying a model correcting errors.

Imagine if the car industry worked that way?! 

Anyhow I'm going to wait for the models to arrive before deciding to get one

• Like 1