Oxford Rail announce J27 at Toy Fair

Andy Y

38 minutes ago, mckinneyc said:

Is it too much to ask for manufacturers to produce products with no errors at a reasonable price? 

Agreed, but where would the fun be in that.

Probably more important that, owld farts like me an Burb would have one less reason to grump about.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
Where/were
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

2 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

Agreed, but were would the fun be in that.

Probably more important that, owld farts like me an Burb would have one less reason to grump about.

P

Oh as railway modellers/enthusiasts we'll always find something to grump about! :D

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, mckinneyc said:

Is it too much to ask for manufacturers to produce products with no errors at a reasonable price? 

Especially when the errors have been pointed out to them very early on. 

11 minutes ago, mckinneyc said:

Anyhow I'm going to wait for the models to arrive before deciding to get one

I may be wrong but I still don't think we've seen photos of the actual model, have we? It's not clear if the ones on Hatton's site are of the real model or a pre-production model - their caption seems to suggest the latter. None of the pre-production photos show the cab sides in such a way that it can be seen whether or not they've corrected the earlier error with the undersize windows. 

What we do seem to know is: boiler fittings a joke; tender springs 2D; chassis profile all wrong. 

Edited by Daddyman
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Daddyman said:

Especially when the errors have been pointed out to them very early on. 

It's not only Oxford Rail that is guilty of that particular sin.  

2 hours ago, Daddyman said:

What we do seem to know is: boiler fittings a joke; tender springs 2D; chassis profile all wrong. 

You forgot to mention the furrows around the base of the chimney/dome, no gap between the centre splasher and frame extension, fully blanched cab interior, Strangley horizontal  (to the vertical) hand rail knobs, pressed tin coupling rods, small brake blocks, 2mm axles, etc., etc.

I'll just look on it as an supplement to the Hornby railroad range. It makes the pain more bearable.

Now...   where's my Wakefields???

Edited by Porcy Mane
Add more crap.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, mckinneyc said:

We shouldn't have to spend more money after buying a model correcting errors.

Imagine if the car industry worked that way?! 

I tend to agree with that first point.  As for the second, I think the car industry did used to work in something like that way, hence the enormous number of motorists' shops at one time selling supposedly life-extending care products and "better" alternatives to the basic parts that many manufacturers grudgingly fitted to their unreliable, leaky, rot-away-in-no-time offerings. Of course, many car makers of that era went out of business.

Edited by gr.king
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

It's not only Oxford Rail that is guilty of that particular sin.  

You forgot to mention the furrows around the base of the chimney/dome, no gap between the centre splasher and frame extension, fully blanched cab interior, Strangley horizontal  (to the vertical) hand rail knobs, pressed tin coupling rods, small brake blocks, 2mm axles, etc., etc.

I'll just look on it as an supplement to the Hornby railroad range. It makes the pain more bearable.

Worst RTR model of the year? Surely a contender. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If they are that bad there is a surely a simple answer, build one. There are plenty Alexander Models ones around, the Nucast one hopefully coming back and the superlative Dave Bradwell one, although that one looks like it takes a long time to build. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Blandford1969 said:

If they are that bad there is a surely a simple answer, build one. There are plenty Alexander Models ones around, the Nucast one hopefully coming back and the superlative Dave Bradwell one, although that one looks like it takes a long time to build. 

The Bradwell kit is a remarkably easy build. Give one a go. You’ll certainly enjoy it.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Blandford1969 said:

If they are that bad there is a surely a simple answer, build one.

What about those that have built both Dave Alexander Kits and Bradwells. Can they not express an opinion? 

Just reading through the pages of RM web there are plenty of contributors that make it quite clear they would never attempt to build kit but are quite happy to buy RTR.

Then there's the fact that Alexander Kits are currently unavailable and highly unlikely to be any time soon  (if ever?).  A lot of folk will be put off by what is perceived to be the complex (its not) Bradwell but that kit was initially designed for P4 and some folk have found it challenging to build them in for EM & OO gauges.

Fact is, and it's often said round these parts, "tis just as easy to get something right as it is get something wrong".

I don't think it has ever been marketed as a top of the range model and if it runs well and  sells at under £100.00, after discount it will probably fly of the shelves.

Just saying lyke.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

The Bradwell kit now comes with a completely re designed chassis that makes EM or OO straightforward in comparison to the original design, which as Porcy said was designed primarily for P4/S4.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Neil said:

Just a thought, have we actually seen a production model in the flesh yet?

This is the image from Oxford Rails available and buy it now page. I'm willing to wager it's pretty near to what buyers will get, taking into account for distant selling rules and there being no clear indication that the illustration is a pre. prod. sample.

OR76J27001_buy.jpg.4b05751bd852e036b74806e6d9097923.jpg

Are those inside cylinder drivers???   (No raised centre boss)

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 13/06/2021 at 20:07, RBAGE said:

spooky for Brasside.

A regular haunt for J27's & `J39's dropping off the products of Ayclyffe & Birtley.

Edited by Porcy Mane
Add a J
  • Like 3

The one thing I am surprised by is none of the magazines I have seen have said anything about the impending arrival. I would have thought that Oxford would have Air freighted a box in so that the magazines can do their reviews as the models are so imminent. Therefore making sure that the first batch sells out! 

Any how I am not sure I can resist the impulse purchase of a non sound fitted version! 

• Like 1

A sufficiently cynical person might wonder whether a manufacturer who has pushed ahead with production of un-corrected versions of previous models, even when the faults have been pointed out at pre-production stage, and who apparently does not now offer an important new model for review (even by the tame and friendly magazines that are funded by advertising revenue), may not actually be interested in establishing credentials for producing accurate models. Perhaps anything that looks tidy / pretty enough to sell is considered adequate?

Edited by gr.king
Spelling mistake!
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

33 minutes ago, gr.king said:

A sufficiently cynical person might wonder whether a manufacturer who has pushed ahead with production of un-corrected versions of previous models, even when the faults have been pointed out at pre-production stage, and who apparently does not now offer an important new model for review (even by the tame and friendly magazines that are funded by advertising revenue), may not actually be interested in establishing credential for producing accurate models. Perhaps anything that looks tidy / pretty enough to sell is considered adequate?

The reality is that they will still sell.

Those who are bothered by the errors will either correct them or build kits. Those who cannot do either will live with the mistakes.

Some manufacturers will correct errors, while others are less inclined.

That is just the way of things. All I can say is that as one who tries to make things accurate, I am glad I am not RTR dependent.

Regards,

Craig W

Edited by Craigw
  • Like 3

If the mechanism and internals are good, and the basic shape/dimensions are right, then I'll be happy to pick one up at some stage, and as none of the locos I'd want are catered for in the first batch detail wise, I'd be having to replace bits to get what I want anyway. It would be nice if the basics were right before they came to market of course.

Very few models are absolutely perfect when they are released, but I suppose a lot of it relies on what the individual purchaser is willing to put up with in terms of inaccuracies/compromises. 

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the real things when they arrive, and see what can/needs to be done.

Cheers

J

• Like 6

2 hours ago, gr.king said:

A sufficiently cynical person might wonder whether a manufacturer who has pushed ahead with production of un-corrected versions of previous models, even when the faults have been pointed out at pre-production stage,

I imagine the majority would agree with your point, but as has been pointed out before most (not just model railway companies) manufacturers are guilty of this. It's not that long ago that the first time a consumer saw a product, was when it landed on a retailers shelf.

2 hours ago, gr.king said:

does not now offer an important new model for review (even by the tame and friendly magazines that are funded by advertising revenue)

The Hornby  (Lyndon Davies?) way.

But do we know if that is the case? Maybe with all the global troubles at the moment the production models might just be landing at the same time as those  possibly destined as review models.

Maybe it would have been better to question the validity of magazine reviews in this day and age?

Even if completed review models are successfully air freighted ahead of  the containerised main batch, magazine publications dates usually mean any review will be out dated when it appears, as the interwebby experts, flootubers, influencers, call them what you will, will have had their say.

As we saw from earlier in the thread, the model railway press did get their hands on well battered pre production samples despite of Oxford Rails  "no Photos" insistence. 

3 hours ago, gr.king said:

Perhaps anything that looks tidy / pretty enough to sell is considered adequate?

An ethos that can be applied to any retail sector of  any market.

If the O.R. turns out to be a duffer just think of the resin bits you can make & sell to improve things and the multitude of bodies you can fit on the chassis.

P

• Like 2